Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Good luck. My 2014 5 speed has only 45k, sport pkg, XM and back up sensors. New I only paid 14.5k otd. And you think a used Titanium with a bad transmission is worth what I paid new? If you find someone to pay it you better sell asap.
Guarantee I can get a much larger % of what I paid new with a 5 speed than you’ll ever see.

Well, regardless of what many on here will say, I still think the DCT Titanium is still a better daily vs. an ST1. The ST1 looks amazing but it gets poor MPGS, has a cheaper looking interior & driving a 6 speed in heavy commuter traffic isn’t exactly something most people want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is a 9k car? Haha! Nope. Try 14k. It looks just like an ST, yet I have all the options of the ST3. 9k is an insult really. MSRP is 27k.

View attachment 259541

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Hey I have an "ST" too!

Oh wait. I actually do.

Black plastic moulding on the bottom of the car, black wheels and a solid rear spoiler do not make it look like an ST.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hey I have an "ST" too!

Oh wait. I actually do.

Black plastic moulding on the bottom of the car, black wheels and a solid rear spoiler do not make it look like an ST.
We have a ton of titanium's where I live they definitely do not look like an ST. I have a Fiesta ST myself. I have 3 cars.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I

·
Registered
830 Posts
I said my car looks ‘similar’ to the ST because I have the optional 235/40R18 wheel/tire pkg & because the wheels are black.

Of course the ST looks much better, we all know that. But I think the question was is a manual ST a better daily vs. a DCT Titanium? I don’t think that it is, otherwise I would’ve bought the ST last year, when they were selling brand new ‘18s for 20k. I like the Fiesta ST also, but maybe if you guys lived in areas such as LA where it’s just constant gridlock 24/7, you might not be happy with the manuals.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like I said, the ST looks better, is way faster & handles better, but does that make it a better daily? Most people would probably say no because of the poor MPGs & manual.
I never minded a manual as a daily driver - I never really thought about shifting gears, it was second nature like walking. I learned on a manual and only had manuals up until the last decade or so (second car was not manual). Reasons why I didn't seek out another manual was the wife didn't want one (can't drive one), but the main one was that manual wasn't even an option on the hatchback any more in form (excluding ST/RS, which I wasn't interested in) plus we wanted the extra features in the Titanium.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I never minded a manual as a daily driver - I never really thought about shifting gears, it was second nature like walking. I learned on a manual and only had manuals up until the last decade or so (second car was not manual). Reasons why I didn't seek out another manual was the wife didn't want one (can't drive one), but the main one was that manual wasn't even an option on the hatchback any more in form (excluding ST/RS, which I wasn't interested in) plus we wanted the extra features in the Titanium.

I love the Titanium trim inside also. I don’t think I’d be happy with the ST1 pkg. just because of the interior. I do not want to daily drive an ST3 w/ those seats. I’ve sat inside of them & they’re not comfortable whatsoever to the average person. If Ford would’ve offered the ST1 pkg. w/the Titanium infotainment system & 8” backup screen then I might be okay with the manual. Say what you want about the DCT, but I haven’t reset my trip odometer in 900 miles & I’m averaging about 29 mpg mix of city/freeway on 87. The ST wouldn’t come close to that, so factor in monthly fuel costs, higher octane & higher insurance rates & I don’t see the ST’s as better daily’s.

·
Registered
830 Posts
On a side note, I saw a Ford Escape Titanium yesterday w/the appearance package & upgraded black wheels & it looked fantastic.

How much longer & wider is the Escape vs. Focus? Because it looked fairly small at the signal.

·
Registered
160 Posts
On a side note, I saw a Ford Escape Titanium yesterday w/the appearance package & upgraded black wheels & it looked fantastic.

How much longer & wider is the Escape vs. Focus? Because it looked fairly small at the signal.

Isn't the Escape built off the same chassis platform as the Focus? The Escape is 178.1 in in length. But wouldn't it be better to just wait for the 4th gen Escape to come out in late 2019?

·
Registered
97 Posts
If I ever own a 12+ focus again beside maybe flipping the car. It will be a stick. I'll never trust them as daily drivers. The new ones might be ok if you drive them right but still won't trust them.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Isn't the Escape built off the same chassis platform as the Focus? The Escape is 178.1 in in length. But wouldn't it be better to just wait for the 4th gen Escape to come out in late 2019?
Never ever buy the first 2 years of a new car design. Escape’s are nice suv’s though I wonder how the turbo motors are holding up. The more I hear about gdi turbo issues the happier I am I didn’t buy a st.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love the Titanium trim inside also. I don’t think I’d be happy with the ST1 pkg. just because of the interior. I do not want to daily drive an ST3 w/ those seats. I’ve sat inside of them & they’re not comfortable whatsoever to the average person. If Ford would’ve offered the ST1 pkg. w/the Titanium infotainment system & 8” backup screen then I might be okay with the manual. Say what you want about the DCT, but I haven’t reset my trip odometer in 900 miles & I’m averaging about 29 mpg mix of city/freeway on 87. The ST wouldn’t come close to that, so factor in monthly fuel costs, higher octane & higher insurance rates & I don’t see the ST’s as better daily’s.
My average is 37 mpg (calculated myself) since the beginning (87 only). The car says 39.4, which I never reset (Trip 1), so its calculation is a bit high. I was using Trip 2 for the per tank mpg, but I gave up that since it was always a bit off from the actual calculation. This is for about 80% rural, 10% highway, 10% city (my normal commute), though with some longer mostly highway trips got 41+ on some tanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As a retired auto industry exec and now retired new car dealer, I watch the industry closely and used cars are now hot, hot, hot! Try selling that Focus S through Autotrader (that's how I get rid of my/my wife's cars when we want new ones. Ford quit building cars except for the Mustang, SUV's and pickups in 2019 so your 2016 can't be bought new. Someone wants your car and I believe you could get about $13K if it is in top shape. Don't laugh. I one time moved my wife from a 2011 Civic to an identical 2013 by selling her 2011 on Autotrader. Net cost difference? $1,900!!! That'll never happen again but don't be 'lowballed' by a dealer who is needing to make a 'home run' on every new vehicle since annualized new car sales are tumbling. What have you got to lose? Have your car professionally detailed, make sure the tires are like new and get ready to buy your new truck.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My average is 37 mpg (calculated myself) since the beginning (87 only). The car says 39.4, which I never reset (Trip 1), so its calculation is a bit high. I was using Trip 2 for the per tank mpg, but I gave up that since it was always a bit off from the actual calculation. This is for about 80% rural, 10% highway, 10% city (my normal commute), though with some longer mostly highway trips got 41+ on some tanks.

I’m in SoCal so my MPG can be all over the place, depending on traffic conditions & time of the day. Last night is a perfect example. Took surface streets home around 6pm & there were a million cars & signals. I was struggling to get 19mpg over about an 8 mile span, but slowly got up to about 22 mpg after 12 miles. The same drive this morning at 6am, got 37 mpg with no traffic over 13 miles.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I one time moved my wife from a 2011 Civic to an identical 2013 by selling her 2011 on Autotrader. Net cost difference? $1,900!!!
Honda and Toyo tend to hold value like crazy, so this is believable. The Focus drops like a rock, partially due to below ave quality ratings (thanks, DCT). I bought mine at roughly 50% of the MSRP when it was two years old and still looked showroom new.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Honda and Toyo tend to hold value like crazy, so this is believable. The Focus drops like a rock, partially due to below ave quality ratings (thanks, DCT). I bought mine at roughly 50% of the MSRP when it was two years old and still looked showroom new.

Ford really blew it on the DCT because the Focus is such a great looking car. I still think the Focus Hatchback is much better looking vs. that new Corolla Hatch. Plus, I’ve always felt like the Focus ST is way better looking vs. a Civic SI. Heck, I even like the body style better on the Fusion over a Camry or Accord.

If only Ford would’ve listened to their customers & made the necessary improvements on the DCT, after the issues first started in 2012. Its funny how Ford made great improvements on the Focus body style refresh in 2015, but failed to improve the DCT, what a shame for such a nice looking car.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts