Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to buy a truck and went to the ford dealer and for shits and giggles had them appraise my 2016 focus s with a 5 speed.

Car is in great shape, except for the 45K miles on the odometer. Sales manager came back with $4,800 and a few minutes later said he would go to $5K.

The reason being it's a 5 speed and nobody would buy it. And he would probably have to send it to auction. BTW - I've heard that line before from another dealer. (Said they would have to send to auction and the next day the car was for sale on their lot and was sold within 2 days)

I know these car depreciate like crazy, but holy shoot! I was not expecting it to be that low.

Registered
So I'm looking to buy a truck and went to the ford dealer and for shits and giggles had them appraise my 2016 focus s with a 5 speed.

Car is in great shape, except for the 45K miles on the odometer. Sales manager came back with $4,800 and a few minutes later said he would go to $5K.

The reason being it's a 5 speed and nobody would buy it. And he would probably have to send it to auction. BTW - I've heard that line before from another dealer. (Said they would have to send to auction and the next day the car was for sale on their lot and was sold within 2 days)

I know these car depreciate like crazy, but holy shoot! I was not expecting it to be that low.
From my experience so far manual S-trim cars are priced by dealers around $1,000 below the market value. So I'm not surprised. The Ford Focus in general depreciates massively probably thanks to the DCT transmission and the amount of recalls it has

Registered
I did the same thing recently. I went to look at an F150 and the guy said he could only get me $2K for my car. (2012 SE 5spd 155K miles). He suggested I donate it to the local PD program that provides cars to people in need. I could get full bluebook value as a tax deduction. I laughed. I'll keep my car, it runs great and especially since gas is over $4 around here now!

Registered
That's the funny thing about sticks. They either fly off the lot quickly, or rot for many months, so dealers don't want to mess with them. It will likely take you longer, but try to sell it yourself.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
From my experience so far manual S-trim cars are priced by dealers around $1,000 below the market value. So I'm not surprised. The Ford Focus in general depreciates massively probably thanks to the DCT transmission and the amount of recalls it has
Yeah. That sounds about right then. I was expecting at least 6K for trade in.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I did the same thing recently. I went to look at an F150 and the guy said he could only get me $2K for my car. (2012 SE 5spd 155K miles). He suggested I donate it to the local PD program that provides cars to people in need. I could get full bluebook value as a tax deduction. I laughed. I'll keep my car, it runs great and especially since gas is over $4 around here now!
The dealer told me that if I really wanted to trade it in, go to carmax.
I've done it before in the past and carmax did give me a better offer than the dealer.

Registered
The dealer told me that if I really wanted to trade it in, go to carmax.
I've done it before in the past and carmax did give me a better offer than the dealer.
I can believe that. When I've searched for sticks before, Carmax was usually the only place in town that had a few.

Registered
My son-in-law totaled his Toyota Matrix. He wants to buy my car now but dang Tom has it running so dang good I am hesitant to sell it!

Although I would get to visit it on the weekends and holidays! [rofl]

Registered
When i went to the dealer to inquire about the same thing(trade in for truck) they gave me a similar appraisal.
My not even 2 year old car in perfect condition with less than 10k on it wasnt worth 5 grand after appraisal, according to their appraisal source which was neither kbb or the black book and only for dealers as they put it.
Its a scam and thankfully you didnt get suckered by them.

Registered
Carmax isn鈥檛 going to give you much for it. The reason people go to Carmax is because it鈥檚 fast, it鈥檚 safe & it鈥檚 easy. If you鈥檙e looking to get more out of your car then you鈥檒l sell it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Dealers suck. I plan on selling my 5sp locally or on the trader here when I sell.
These 5 sps are attractive to a passionate niche group, and should only hold value as the pool of manuals shrink. I鈥檓 spend alot of time searching for a 6sp Nissan Frontier, for 2 reasons, love manuals, and the pre 2010鈥檚 have auto trans issues. Have to be people looking for a 5 sp focus.
Interesting running your car thru kbb, the auto shows a trade in of 6.8k, manual 6.2k. We all know the manuals are better!

Registered
These 5 sps are attractive to a passionate niche group, and should only hold value as the pool of manuals shrink.
I have become even more protective of my Focus since Ford stopped building any but the "S" model with a manual, and now isn't selling the Focus in North America in any form. The only way I could replace it if it gets stolen or totaled is with a used one. No way I'd pay more for a DCT. (But then, I'm just one of those weird people who still wants to shift gears for myself.)

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Dealers suck. I plan on selling my 5sp locally or on the trader here when I sell.
These 5 sps are attractive to a passionate niche group, and should only hold value as the pool of manuals shrink. I鈥檓 spend alot of time searching for a 6sp Nissan Frontier, for 2 reasons, love manuals, and the pre 2010鈥檚 have auto trans issues. Have to be people looking for a 5 sp focus.
Interesting running your car thru kbb, the auto shows a trade in of 6.8k, manual 6.2k. We all know the manuals are better!
I used to have a 2006 Xterra S 4wd with the six speed. First car I ever bought new. Best car I ever owned. It was still running strong at 170K miles before I wrecked it. Only repair it needed was the HVAC fan speed regulator. Everything else was the typical maintenance - fluid change, 1 set of brake pads, and 1 set of tires. It even had it's original clutch.

Registered
We have a 2010 Xterra off road auto. Great vehicle. Drove a 6 speed Xterra once, great fun. The Frontiers are a value in the overpriced truck world.

Registered
The kind of people who want a Focus S 5-speed already have one. (They were not that expensive.)

Mine is white, 2014, 40k miles, and it's been rear-ended twice. Trading it in would be economically masochistic.

I still enjoy flogging it like a galley rower. (Pull! Pull!)

Registered
In late 2013 it was Focus S, Jetta S?, Mazda 2 and Mazda 3. Carsdirect had these at similar price. By the time I got shopping, they were out of the 2s and cheap 3s, the Jetta was nice but was missing about fifty hp, and the Focus felt like it was ready for Pikes Peak, Monte Carlo and Paris-Dakar. I was ready to fit some Ford Motorsport stickers. I can get over or understeer on any ramp. I like it.

Registered
Of course, financially, I might have been much better off paying an extra thousand or two and buying a Honda Fit, but that didn't occur to me.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts