Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kicking around an idea, I couldn't wait any longer and just bought the focus with the closest packages to what I wanted. It had 18" wheels and not only do I not care about them but I think I'd prefer the softer ride and future replacement cost of smaller wheels. So hypothetically if I found someone with a new focus with smaller wheels that was willing to trade (plus a little extra to offset the cost) would there be any issue with switching them? I mean I wouldn't think so, but I'm not a car guy and don't know if I'm missing something basic like "the wheels have to match the suspension or the wheel well size" or something. Yeah I'm dumb like that. Thoughts?

For the record I have the "titanium handling package" that comes with the 18 alloy wheels.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I think the only difference in the suspension setup is that your car will have steering bump stops fitted because of the wider tyres. I know this for sure because it is listed under our etis site and the turning circle is less than car fitted with the smaller tyres. Having said that I can't see why you can't carry out your wishes. If your car has the tyre deflation detection all you will need to do is recalibrate the pressures through the controls, as it works off the abs sensors, that's if the US system is the same.
Chris

·
Registered
215 Posts
I emailed Fords about this exact question, and they responded that there is no engineering reason you couldn't use the smaller wheels. All the driving & suspension features will be fine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, lol, would make somewhere interesting, dryer and warmer for me to drive too :)
Chris

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm kicking around an idea, I couldn't wait any longer and just bought the focus with the closest packages to what I wanted. It had 18" wheels and not only do I not care about them but I think I'd prefer the softer ride and future replacement cost of smaller wheels. So hypothetically if I found someone with a new focus with smaller wheels that was willing to trade (plus a little extra to offset the cost) would there be any issue with switching them? I mean I wouldn't think so, but I'm not a car guy and don't know if I'm missing something basic like "the wheels have to match the suspension or the wheel well size" or something. Yeah I'm dumb like that. Thoughts?

For the record I have the "titanium handling package" that comes with the 18 alloy wheels.

you might be better off selling wheels and tires, then buying the exact rim and tires from tire rack or similar place

·
Registered
155 Posts
when did Arizona secede from the union?
I lived there for 18 years before moving to Colorado. There were more than a few of us that given the direction the country is heading were willing to discuss the idea. I also liked our idea for a new expanded state, Baja Arizona. It involved a few friends, a long weekend, and a second Mexican Expedition. We figured we would capture enough territory to move Arizona's border a couple hundred miles south. This would finally give us beach access on the Gulf of Mexico. Sadly it never moved out of the initial planning stages.

We are coming up on the 100 year anniversary of the first Mexican Expedition. We may need to revisit this idea.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I lived there for 18 years before moving to Colorado. There were more than a few of us that given the direction the country is heading were willing to discuss the idea. I also liked our idea for a new expanded state, Baja Arizona. It involved a few friends, a long weekend, and a second Mexican Expedition. We figured we would capture enough territory to move Arizona's border a couple hundred miles south. This would finally give us beach access on the Gulf of Mexico. Sadly it never moved out of the initial planning stages.

We are coming up on the 100 year anniversary of the first Mexican Expedition. We may need to revisit this idea.

·
Registered
193 Posts

WHAT??!!?!?!?!?!? *scratching head*

:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Given that I have the sport suspension I guess which was included in the handling package, does anyone know how much of a ride difference there will be between the 18s and 16s since I can't get rid of the sport suspension? I'm looking for some kind of gauge for whether or not it will be different enough to go through the hassle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Given that I have the sport suspension I guess which was included in the handling package, does anyone know how much of a ride difference there will be between the 18s and 16s since I can't get rid of the sport suspension? I'm looking for some kind of gauge for whether or not it will be different enough to go through the hassle.
On my current car (Mazda), I switched from the stock 16s to a set of 15s. The ride difference is noticeable if you drive them side by side, but not so much that it feels like a different car. Bumps and seams are smoother. I would expect similar results from the Focus.

Another reason to consider dropping sizes is cost of maintenance. What tire options do you have at 18"? How long with the 18s last, and how much will they cost to replace? Compare that to 16s. I did some brief research on 17s v. 16s, and there's enough cost difference there for me want the 16s.

edit: If you get a chance, test drive one with 16s & compare it to the 18s. It would be reasonable to expect the ride of the Ti + handling + 16s to fall in between those two.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay I'm back to seriously considering this. Not that it's bad having 18's but I'd just like the following package deal:

*Less road noise, I do a lot of conference calls in my car
*Softer ride, even if it's just a little
*Cheaper replacements in the future
*Better turning radius
*More cargo room back, yes this means I'd trade the full size spare as well
*Better rims for MPG, the five spoke probably let in more air and hurt MPG a little I'm guessing

They do look great, but I've never been one to care much for looks. Let me know if there is someone in the Phoenix, AZ metro area that might be willing to trade. Mine are only a few months old so yours should be in great shape as well. And depending on what you have, I might have you pay a little difference. Nothing big, just something fair since I'm told these are fairly expensive. We'd basically also swap the back styrofoam floor since mines raised a little to accomodate the full size spare. I also have the subwoofer so you should too so that the cutout matches.

I realize the odds of finding someone might be slim'ish but why not ask.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
*Less road noise, I do a lot of conference calls in my car
*Softer ride, even if it's just a little
*Cheaper replacements in the future
*Better turning radius
*More cargo room back, yes this means I'd trade the full size spare as well
*Better rims for MPG, the five spoke probably let in more air and hurt MPG a little I'm guessing
These are exactly the same things I didn't buy a Titanium and settled for a SEL. There were no Titanium on 17" at the time of my buy. I hope you'll find someone to trade with you. If not, you'll sell them and that's it.

·
Registered
86 Posts

You know there is a "Baja Arizona" movement currently? They are people who want Pima County and surrounding areas to break off from the rest because they think Maricopa County has too much say in state politics and Tucson gets ignored.

[screwy]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.