Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it do... or rather how does it work. Does it use more gas when its on? can you turn it off (or should I say keep it off )

Thanks

·
Capital Obvious
2,562 Posts
TC cuts power from your engine so your wheels don't spin your wheels a lot. When I am racing I turn it off.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dam that sucks ... how good is the braking without the ABS. I want to try it but dont want to kill myself in the process.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What happens is that it puts torque on what specific wheel needs it (very helpful, it's pretty much like a slip differential, except electronic rather than mechanical).

I'd keep it on when I'm racing; then again, I rally race, not street.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Bboybean said:
Dam that sucks ... how good is the braking without the ABS. I want to try it but dont want to kill myself in the process.

umm ABS is not ALLL that, you can live without ABS, hell lots of cars until recently didn't have ABS unless people added it in as an option (most don't)...and ABS really isn't engaged unless under HEAVY braking, but it DOES help in the bad weather condition. I'm driving without ABS now and im still alive, been through horrible winter conditions and still no hiccups, its just a matter of how well you can control your braking. Most people just stomp on the brakes, that'll do most of the time but in slipper conditions like snow the wheels will just lock and you will slide, you'd need to pump your brakes a bit to prevent the locking of the wheels.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Traction Control works through the ABS usually. If slippage is detected at a wheel, the brake is applied to just that wheel to prevent it from slipping, thus allowing power to continue being directed to the non-slipping wheel instead of "leaking out" through the spinning wheel.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just hold your traction control button for 3 seconds and you'll see the light come on in your gauge cluster.

It uses the ABS, and retards the fuel to slow the wheel down that's spinning. Helpful on ice, but retarded for regular day-to-day driving.

I have it off all the time. Besides, it's much more fun, and traction control can mess you up if you're going fast around a corner and your wheels break loose; I'd imagine some weight shifting and excessive sliding may happen due to that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As it says in the owners manual:

"During Traction control operation the traction control active light will illuminate, you may hear an electric motor type sound coming from your engine compartment and the engine will not rev up when you push on the accelerator. This is normal system behavior and should be no reason for concern.

At speeds below 53 mph (85 km/h), both the engine and the brake system will be used to control wheel spin; at speeds above 53 mph (85 km/h), only engine torque reduction is used. When the traction control system is switched off, the brake system will still be used to control wheel spin at speeds below 25 mph (40 km/h)."

So after reading that, I dont see the point of turning it off if its still on in a sense

1 - 8 of 8 Posts