Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight was out and hit a red light, decided to put in in S, and let it rip when light when green and I noticed the traction control lamp.

It is bone dry out, smooth asphalt conditions. What the heck? I can't imagine the 2.0 GDI from say 1k to 2.5k having enough torque in dry conditions to trigger traction control. And that's when it illuminated -- almost immediately upon takeoff and thus (with the DCT) idle.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Tonight was out and hit a red light, decided to put in in S, and let it rip when light when green and I noticed the traction control lamp.

It is bone dry out, smooth asphalt conditions. What the heck? I can't imagine the 2.0 GDI from say 1k to 2.5k having enough torque in dry conditions to trigger traction control. And that's when it illuminated -- almost immediately upon takeoff and thus (with the DCT) idle.
Turn the traction control off and try it again. You will likely get a chirp from the tires quite easily in the same conditions, certainly more likely with the stock Contiprocontact eco tires.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turn the traction control off and try it again. You will likely get a chirp from the tires quite easily in the same conditions, certainly more likely with the stock Contiprocontact eco tires.
Cool. I would not have expected that. I also have the Cooper RS3-As, but shouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

It absolutely can break the tire(s) loose and trigger the traction control, especially with the DCT (shorter 1st gear).

This is one of two reasons why the DCT equipped Focus does not normally beat the MT in a magazine 0-60 run (although it easily should on paper).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It absolutely can break the tire(s) loose and trigger the traction control, especially with the DCT (shorter 1st gear).

This is one of two reason why the DCT equipped Focus does not normally beat the MT in a magazine 0-60 run (although it easily should on paper).
That's a good point. That low first gear can make for some torque amplification.

I would think the MTs would be much quicker simply from the fact that one can rev in neutral before launch. I imagine the DCTs are fully engaged by 1200 rpms if not sooner.

I used to do that in my Probe GT 2.2l 5 speed -- bring it up to about 2500 - 3000 rpms, then launch by feathering/slipping the clutch all the way through first gear. If I fully engaged the clutch at say 1200 rpms, it seemed to take forever to get through 1st gear. But it had a bit more peak torque than our 2.0 GDIs.

I'd be interested to know what our DCTs run 0-60 (feet of course) at the drag strip.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you like the cooper tires?
I like them with the caveat that my performance driving skills are worse than a 16 year old who has never been behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. I could use a course at Bondurant (if that school is still in business).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Bondurant is still around AFAIK, similar schools have proliferated.

The "stop strip" you find at most intersections is QUITE slick, even the ones with cross hatching to improve traction. FWD tends to hit that just as you get max. torque to the tires, easy to break loose there.

Bad enough that I intentionally avoid hard acceleration when crossing one with any vehicle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Look up your local SCCA club and go to a SOLO event. They have classes for beginners and you can usually fine someone in a similar car that will help you out.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I would think the MTs would be much quicker simply from the fact that one can rev in neutral before launch.
That's the other reason why the MT will be quicker in a magazine test.

You can use (the unofficial) "launch control" with the DCT but a magazine wouldn't do it because it isn't considered normal operation.

Turning off the traction control and launching with the DCT should significantly reduce the 0-60 times.
(I've never tried it as I don't like abusing clutches)

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
You can hold the brake and bring RPMs up around 2700 RPM in the DCT for a more aggressive launch.

Also, most FWD cars will spin the tires from a stop because they are FWD and weight transfers to the rear.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've gotten on our little Focus from a stop and never seen any daggum "traction control" light... is TC standard on these cars?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've gotten on our little Focus from a stop and never seen any daggum "traction control" light... is TC standard on these cars?
AFAIK it is. Yours might be turned off or the conditions weren't right for the wheels to break loose. I can do it on mine but generally do not. I do tend to go WOT after i get going 3-6 times per trip..lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I almost always drive with TC off. IV e never triggered the TC light on take off, but I swear it feels faster with it off, like the car neuteres power with TC on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does it reset every time you start the car? If so, doesn't that get annoying having to find the option in the settings and disabling it?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I almost always drive with TC off. IV e never triggered the TC light on take off, but I swear it feels faster with it off, like the car neuteres power with TC on.
That's a good point. I wonder if the algorithm is 2 parts: prevention and detection.

I would think it is simply reactive: it senses loss of traction, then "kicks in." How would it try to detect loss of traction before it occurs? I can drive the exact same route in dry pavement 106 degree heat, or with a 1/4" of ice we get occasionally. I can't imagine it having enough inputs to accurately guess environmental conditions which would cause slippage.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts

Rear Weight Transfer

"In a front wheel drive car, however, you're more likely to get wheelspin off the start, so an extra smooth throttle application is important."

http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/weight-transfers.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's a good point. I wonder if the algorithm is 2 parts: prevention and detection.

I would think it is simply reactive: it senses loss of traction, then "kicks in." How would it try to detect loss of traction before it occurs? I can drive the exact same route in dry pavement 106 degree heat, or with a 1/4" of ice we get occasionally. I can't imagine it having enough inputs to accurately guess environmental conditions which would cause slippage.
My guess would be that it just kills power until a certain speed all the time, or gives a slower throttle input than you're actually giving until a certain speed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I went to school for those systems all they do is detect slippage and apply the abs/cut fuel accordingly. There isn't any Type of engine power management besides the pcm making the vehicle misfire. I'm ready for a steeda lower mount it wheel hops really bad when the tc kicks in.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have the Cooper and for day to day they are fine. Spirited driving you'll get slippage pretty easy. I also find it very easy to spin/engage traction control in my DCT.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts