Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way of turning the traction control off?
I was thinking about winter and needing to get through deep snow, traction control is a hindrance in deeper snow.

Could answer this myself if my car would ever get here.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
On my '05, and earlier versions, it's as easy as pushing the console mounted TC button. On the '12s, if there isn't a button, there is probably a fuse that you can pull to disable it. It seems counter productive to me, to apply a brake, to assist in forward progress. That's why I got a Quaife LSD!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joey is there a button on the dash?

I had visions of having conniptions in the snow because i couldn't defeat the traction control.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as there is a way of shutting it off.

Guess I'll have to get good at going through the menu.

·
Registered
968 Posts
On the d/s left side of the steering wheel, press the left arrow, scroll to "driver aids", select "traction control", then hold the center button to turn it off. At least I'm pretty sure those are the steps without my car in front of me to verify.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
68 Posts
know that traction control can be turned off just made me that much happier to get my focus within the next couple days :)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Traction control and the electronic stability control can both be turned off.
This area in the owner's manual is where they get into not adding aftermarket speakers near the center consol, or in front doors or the stabilitrac may got nuts. (my words)
The one issue of turning off the stability control is the little light will stay on in the dash..
I have had it blink on at least once so far with fast corner turning...
And i tried turning it off once. With the light left on, and it actually took time for the computer to turn it off. i decided to just leave it on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is there a way of turning the traction control off?
I was thinking about winter and needing to get through deep snow, traction control is a hindrance in deeper snow.

Could answer this myself if my car would ever get here.
When you get your car, it is all spelled out in the owners manual.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with the OP, traction control is an PITA for heavy snow. Nothing like having a car "bog down" just when you need it to chew its way through the shiznits.

·
Registered
41 Posts
[As an aside, my wife, ah, almost violently "questioned" me turning off the VSA, in deep snow. Perhaps some people should explain to all family members how and why and when to turn traction control off - before they need to! This in physics and engineering, not magic!!!!!!]

Stability control almost put my Focus into a center median last week; the car didn't behave "like it was supposed to". The quick wrist-flick is something I'd had to do many times with my TSX [which is one reason that I drive that car with VSA off, in the dry], but at least in the TSX it's easy to disengauge the traction control/stability control, by just hitting a button.

BTW, the Focus' traction control and stability contol is superior, in my opinion, to that of my TSX.

And, as confirmation, I have often had to disengauge the Acura's traction control to get/keep the car going in deep snow, even with 4 aggressive snow tires. Everyone should learn how to shut traction control off, and to safely explore its limits and benefits.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
[

Everyone should learn how to shut traction control off, and to safely explore its limits and benefits.
I like to find an empty parking lot first snow and go crazy. Just slide around, go in circles. slam on the brakes, make the rear end slide out.
All the familiarize myself all over again with snow.
Driving in snow for 47 winters...

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
[As an aside, my wife, ah, almost violently "questioned" me turning off the VSA, in deep snow. Perhaps some people should explain to all family members how and why and when to turn traction control off - before they need to! This in physics and engineering, not magic!!!!!!]

Stability control almost put my Focus into a center median last week; the car didn't behave "like it was supposed to". The quick wrist-flick is something I'd had to do many times with my TSX.... Everyone should learn how to shut traction control off, and to safely explore its limits and benefits.
I feel like if I get into an accident with traction control off my insurance company will tell me to go [:)][:)][:)][:)] myself.

They don't check the "black boxes" yet, do they? 0.o

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a focus S and I dont have any steering wheel controls, so how would I go about turning off the traction control?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a focus S and I dont have any steering wheel controls, so how would I go about turning off the traction control?
I would assume that in an S model, just as with the other models, you can turn off traction control.

Other members, with 2012 S models -- do you know how to turn off traction control in your respective cars? I would assume it is spelled-out in your manual...

Kindly advise.

Eurofordfan

·
Registered
64 Posts
From the owner's manual...

Switching off traction control
If the vehicle is stuck in snow, mud or sand, and seems to lose engine
power, switching off the traction control feature of the AdvanceTrac
system may be beneficial because the wheels are allowed to spin. This
will restore full engine power and will enhance momentum through the
obstacle.