Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a Focus that came without the winter package, no heated seats (damn) but then again, no traction control... I've heard from mags like motor trend and Car and Driver how its a non-defeatable traction control... you turn it off but it really isnt off... I was wondering just how much slower it makes the car off of launch, if even any.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
there's a write up in the how-to section i believe thatexplains how to REALLY disable it. if your car didn't come with it, however, then don't worry. you DON'T have it

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well yeah, i know i dont have to worry about it cause i dont have it, but i was wondering how much faster, if any, was a focus with no traction control? does anyone know that answer?

·
Registered
591 Posts
i think it makes a difference my friends got TC and i dont and on a launch ill kill him....the car bog stock already then with TC it just sucks..takes gettin use to for sure... but then again u can just pull the fuse and then its off along with your abs lol

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Off the line a SVT with t/c is much slower than one without...it really sucks major butt b/c i can't race anybody on the street at the line b/c they all beat me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well looks like your going to have to pull the fuse... you dont really need ABS do you?

I dont think i've ever had to use my ABS, not even when i had to come to a screaching hault because a 80 year old suicidal woman decided to waltz out infront of me. I was giong about 50 and i only got red marks from the seatbelts... gotta love those brakes...

See i was wondering that cause i was looking up stats for the SVTF and all the mags that i found that had 0-60 times and quarter miles times all had the focus that had traction control... So i didnt know how much faster one without would be...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
well you don't just want to pull the fuse...along with disabling your abs...it also messes with the brake distribution force and it all goes ot the rear...03 models can do the t/c kill switch mod so their abs won't be affected.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
focusedintentions said:
03 models can do the t/c kill switch mod so their abs won't be affected.
Just to clarify:
1) Kill Switch.
ALL models/years will lose ABS and brake proportioning with the Kill Switch. (#46 fuse interrupt).

2) Tune (SCT or Diablo) TC defeat:
02, 03, and most 04's can have the TC defeated, keep the ABS, and keep proper brake proportioning with a tune.
The only exception to the above is the later build 04 models which can't defeat the TC with a tune without also killing the ABS.
At this time, I don't think either tuner (Tom-"Focus Power"-Diablo or Wayne-"Hypnotic Illusions"-SCT) will release that late 04 tune, due to liability issues with the ABS being turned off.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I don't have any of that crap... no heated seats, no traction control, no sunroof, no recaro's..

Who needs it?! "My car is faster without them", I say!

(ok, I kinda wish I had the recaro's[:I] )

·
Registered
511 Posts
No sunroof???????? And here I thought that was a standard thing. I guess you got the "competition" model.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also thought the sunroof was Standared... Doesnt the sunroof actually make for a weaker body/chasis... if you know what i mean... my words are haulted in my mind and i cant say what i mean...

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
yep tc will bog you way down if you try to launch [:(] i have the "kill switch" but i hardly ever use it being that 99% time i don't race

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm actually glad I don't have one... I'd never use it anyway, plus it weighs the car down, and down the road it would have been another potential leak.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good point... to me, yah i might use is maaaaybe 2 times a month... if i have it open it just gets to hot in the car... its nice for spring/fall... but nothing really after that for me.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Doesnt the sunroof actually make for a weaker body/chasis...
Normally, yes.
But, in the SVTF they added a stiffener to the roof to make up for it.
Biggest problem I see with the moonroof is added weight, and about 2" less headroom for the front seat occupants.
It's dang tight for me with a helmet on. [:(]
But, I would never give up that moonroof. I use it all the time. [;)]

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have a "no option" SVT with no sunroof/TC/etc. After I rode in a fellow Fanatic's car at an AutoX, I am darn glad that I don't , because at 6'3" + helmet, I was quite uncomfortable is his car and perfectly fine in mine.

The sunroof adds about 60lbs in the worst possible place, and I really never use the one in my GTI either, so I am glad I don't have it.

I'm also glad that I don't have TC, as I have no real problems in the winter or the wet, and have no interference in the dry.

You definitely DO want your ABS, man. It's a very important safety feature. When it makes the difference between stopping 1' away from some guys bumper and a total write-off, you'll be darn glad you had it. Especially in patchy conditions, it can be a lifesaver. Try braking with one side in the dry and one side in the muck without ABS, and you'll be singing praises to ABS the rest of your life.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well... I totaly agree with Carrera26, ABS is a must have option. The ABS in my Monte Carlo SS was one thing that i hated though, it just seemed to kick on WAY to early, and actually lock up the tires for a good second. Then agian, my monte was a TANK compared to the SVTF.

I thought the focus had AMAZING head room... i'm 5'9 and i would have to say, you boys would have a really hard time driving in a monte carlo... even i hit the top of my head!

I could careless about the sunroof... but my GF loves it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts