Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been taking the traction control off when coming down my driveway this week because it's SO muddy.
Tonight i forgot. :(

Right after splashing through the first puddle, I bogged down in the mud and something smoked! from the engine compartment (it seemed) and the TC light flashed.
I shut it off, then turned it back on, turned off the TC, got out of the mud and headed back on my way.
No more smoke/steam as I came up the hill. When I got parked, I checked and I can see where water splashed on the alternator and connector, but thats all I could see that was unusual.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've been taking the traction control off when coming down my driveway this week because it's SO muddy.
Tonight i forgot. :(

Right after splashing through the first puddle, I bogged down in the mud and something smoked! from the engine compartment (it seemed) and the TC light flashed.
I shut it off, then turned it back on, turned off the TC, got out of the mud and headed back on my way.
No more smoke/steam as I came up the hill. When I got parked, I checked and I can see where water splashed on the alternator and connector, but thats all I could see that was unusual.

Thoughts?
Probably just steam off something hot. Exhaust or even brake rotor.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Probably just steam off something hot. Exhaust or even brake rotor.
Agreed. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exhaust.
I'll bet that's it. I probably splashed on the manifold or so to make it come from under the hood...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't understand the logic of turning off traction control when encountering slick situations. Isn't that what its there for? I've seen others say the same thing in snow... they will turn off TC in order to advance the car. To me, this seems counter intuitive, isn't traction control supposed to aid the cars movement on slippery conditions?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Traction control prevents the wheels from spinning if it loses traction, and thus sending the car out of control...Good on ice or snow-pack.
However, in mud/snow, there's a high liklihood you'll have a few spots where the wheels DO spin with no traction, but you sure don't want them to quit entirely because of the TC! Once you lose forward momentum, you're going to have problems.

Besides, I've been driving muddy dirt roads for 30 years. I don't want to have to re-learn how to do it to accommodate TC...

ETA: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/traction-control3.htm
Why would you turn off something so helpful? Well, it's actually less helpful to have traction control when you've got a wheel stuck deep in snow or mud. In that case, you want the tire to spin, sending snow or mud flying out behind the car, until the tire finds some hard ground to grab onto. In that same situation, rocking the vehicle back and forth a bit can help you get unstuck, and traction control won't let you rock.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Traction control prevents the wheels from spinning if it loses traction.
However, in mud/snow, there's a high liklihood you'll have a few spots where the wheels DO spin with no traction, but you sure don't want them to quit entirely because of the TC!

Besides, I've been driving muddy dirt roads for 30 years. I don't want to have to re-learn how to do it to accompdate TC...
I have lived in the midwest all of my life, and over the decades, I have seen numerous people think that spinning their tires on snow will somehow afford them more traction. Indeed, the opposite it true. When a tire spins, it has virtually no traction. The person (or electrical system) that can prevent or stop the wheel without traction from spinning, the more torque can be applied either to the one that does, or to try to propel the now stationary wheel. It is a total fallacy to think spinning tires afford more traction.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Read the link I posted.
On ice/rain-slick/snow-pack, TC is a blessing. But in mud or deeper snow, you need to keep your wheels spinning.

I live 10 miles from pavement. When it's wet, our roads are mud. When it snows, we don't see a plow for days if ever. I probably have different driving requirements than you do in KS City.
Fortunately, we don't usually get a lot of rain OR snow out here in the rain shadow. :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Read the link I posted.
On ice/rain-slick/snow-pack, TC is a blessing. But in mud or deeper snow, you need to keep your wheels spinning.

I live 10 miles from pavement. When it's wet, our roads are mud. When it snows, we don't see a plow for days if ever. I probably have different driving requirements than you do in KS City.
Fortunately, we don't usually get a lot of rain OR snow out here in the rain shadow. :)
I have to agree with you. When I drive the car on ice, it's a blessing, yes. But when you drive in deep snow, the car doesn't want to move forward at all... the TC on the Focus MK3 is very aggressive - almost killed me twice on the highway in deep snow so now I alway disable it when there's a lot of snow on the road.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I have to agree with you. When I drive the car on ice, it's a blessing, yes. But when you drive in deep snow, the car doesn't want to move forward at all... the TC on the Focus MK3 is very aggressive - almost killed me twice on the highway in deep snow so now I alway disable it when there's a lot of snow on the road.
This ^^ x1000...

Everyday in the winter I disable the TC...

In fact, I do it so often that now it don't even need to look at the display...

It's like a Nintendo cheat code...
LEFT + DOWN + DOWN + DOWN + DOWN + OK+OK+OK that's it! hehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts