Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2924 focus se hatch has traction control. This is the first vehicle I've owned with it. In the past I have used studded tires during the winter. My question is how much does traction control help? Should I still run with studded tires?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I do better in the winter with traction control off using all seasons (currently ContiPro DWSs). The traction control is too aggressive. Also this is my first car with traction control. Manual transmission. I can't say how it is if you have the automatic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is an automatic. I had studded tired on my 2005 focus se sedan and it did great without traction control.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I've never even tried studs. I've always just run all seasons for my entire almost 20 years of car ownership. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would say its dependent. On the factory tires the TC was a pain when taking off from a stop. It would kick in and almost kill the car. I would say with all-seasons that you might be better with the TC turned off.

When I put dedicated snow tires on the car the TC would hardly ever kick in from a stop. I would kick in when needed but it wasn't to often.

I completely recommend dedicated snow tires. I have never used studded snow tires, so I don't see the need.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I use snow tires in the winter. I live in Montreal (Canada) and we have a lot of snow during winter. Traction control is too dangerous in my opinion. Almost got into an accident last year because of it on the highway in snow and I was unable to go up hill (2 meters only) in the snow. Engine would die right away. Rolled back (slip on snow) into the road and also almost got into an accident. If I didn't have TC turned on, I would just have pushed till the top.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tire selection is def. based on conditions where you drive. If you're doing the passes in WA studded snow tires would be a great option IMHO.

Traction control in these is unfortunately difficult/time consuming to turn off. When there's a button to disengage it, it works great as a warning of slip you can turn off when it activates as needed. Having to go through a menu to turn it off, it's better IMHO to do so BEFORE any situation where you really wouldn't want it to interfere such as hill climbing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
One other thing - if you're stuck in snow or ice, turn off traction control. You can't rock a car out of being stuck unless you do (I found that out from firsthand experience).

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Tire selection is def. based on conditions where you drive. If you're doing the passes in WA studded snow tires would be a great option IMHO.
What do you run during our awesome winters?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
My old S-10 with 4 corner snows.

Got rid of the all seasons that came with the car when I got 17" wheels & summer performance tires, haven't been using it in the winter for a while. Might break down & get a set of Snow tires for the stock 15" wheels this year so I can use the car in the winter again sometimes.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Before I moved to sunny Miami I lived in Long Island for 32 years. 17 years I always had all seasons and never used snow tires. Never had a problem crunching through the snow. Then again, I never lived in rural upstate New York either.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Don't talk too fast.. snow will come to Florida one day mouhehehehehe!
Just bring your snowbird friends down here so I do not have to pay a state income tax :)

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts