Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearin how the TC in the SVT's kill 1/4 mile times, and was wondering if anyone knew a way i could disable it permanently. I saw a switch thing on ebay that would totally disable it, but that ebay store has since been shut down. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
traction control will cut power upon heavy wheel slip....not good. You might want to check with SCT to get your tc turned off....

·
Registered
33 Posts
your t/c is electronically control and has nothing to do with your brakes. the only cars that i know of that use the front brakes to control traction is a MERCEDES. if you want to disable your t/c disconnect the fuse.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
MichaelMcMahan said:
your t/c is electronically control and has nothing to do with your brakes. the only cars that i know of that use the front brakes to control traction is a MERCEDES. if you want to disable your t/c disconnect the fuse.
Are you sure? I thought all tcs used the brakes to control wheelspin. I was looking at Ford's AdvanceTrac brochure and I could swear all of the safety systems used the braking system to control wheelspin.

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I had my car at the dlrshp for my new transmission, I talked to the svt tech that worked on my car. I asked him about pulling the fuse on the trac ctrl and he said that was a bad idea, cause the system defaults to another config, and the brakes are still in effect.

I don't remember exactly how he put it.

Here's the interesting part...he told me there WAS a way to defeat the trac ctrl so that it was totally off... But HE couldn't tell me for liability reasons.

It sounded like it might be easy to do, but he wouldn't tell me.

That is what I would be looking into if I were you. I'd like to know myself.

·
Registered
764 Posts
What ever you do, Don't disconnect the harness at the master brake cylinder the one that controls the abs. the ecu wont be able to correct wheel spin and the anti lock brakes wont work either. Dont disconnect the sensors at the wheels either. Don't push the Big red button or else!

·
Registered
990 Posts
no.12

fuse number 12 in the box underhood is the one-disables abs and tc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HONDAHATER said:

Here's the interesting part...he told me there WAS a way to defeat the trac ctrl so that it was totally off... But HE couldn't tell me for liability reasons.

It sounded like it might be easy to do, but he wouldn't tell me.

That is what I would be looking into if I were you. I'd like to know myself.
Thats interesting, anyone here know what that method would be? From what you guys have been sayin pullin the fuse is a bad idea, and I'm not really lookin to destroy my car.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
That switch in the SVTF doesn't completly shut off the Traction Control it only shuts it off for speeds over 20mph and if you push the car to hard even after pressing the button it will automatically kick in (so it will still work just takes more to make it get used)

the only way to truly shut off traction control is to pull the fuse which unfortunatly also shuts off ABS there is a thread someone made about making a Traction Control switch it would only cost about 20 or 30 bucks and when u hit it it all the way kills traction control and ABS

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Do a seach on Traction Control, you will find numerous threads relating to this issue. Believe this is a much talked about topic on the SVTF.

The traction control, does control wheelspin this I did know. I too was under the impression that the TC was brake controlled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MichaelMcMahan said:
There are two parts to the traction control.

1. the electronic part: the computer retards the timing to reduce the power being generated.

2. the physical part: the brake clamps down on the wheel to keep it from spinning.

The physical part can be disabled entirely by the button, but the timing retard cannot be disabled under 20 MPH. Hope that fixes the confusion.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Why have a traction control switch if it's not entirely defeatable? If someone wants their traction control turned off, it shouldn't continue to operate if you have in fact turned it off. Was it so difficult for SVT to engineer a switch that actually worked? The thing that sucks is you can't get the heated seats and engine block heater without TC, at least in the SVT Focus.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Heated seats piss me off my friends always turn them on joking around and all the sudden my arse is burning

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So has anyone made a switch to kill their TC? This sounds like somethin that i would be interested in doin and kinda want some tips before i try anything.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts