Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
svted said:
i'i wanted to set up a switch to plug into the fuse panel in the car for convenience.. i hadn't really looked into it yet. what are people doing about it i just was wondering if anyone was thinking like i was about installing a switch of their own..
How do you guys feel about this idea??

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well, if you put a switch on the fuse for the traction control then you disable the ABS system, it is on the same fuse

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
O/T: That radar detector you have on your webpage is illegal in Virginia....in case, you ever want to run through the state anytime soon.... [:p]

As for the thread, I don't have an SVT so it really doesn't matter, but if it gives you a great launch but disables your ABS and Traction Control.....well, it seems wreckless but fun. [thumb]

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His idea not mine seems like a cool idea to me just gotta figure out how to do it

P.S. don't plan on it anytime soon I love the jammer though all the cops in my neighborhood always wonder why the hell there radar can't get my speed =)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont like the traction control either. It really hurts you if your racing someone, because you loose power after it is activated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First thing i do when i get in is turn the TC off.... would be nice to have it off permanently

·
Registered
24 Posts
i plan on hillclimbing come spring. the traction control must go and so must the abs.. i heard they were on the same fuse so this is perfect for me. i'd rather have the convenience of a switch than poping fuses all the time. just checking if anyone had done it.. i'd love to see pix if you've done it focuzdsvt. or a description would do fine. any help is good help. thanks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Go to radioshack and get a fuse holder (pic 1) crimp-on quick disconects (2) a some kind of switch(3) and spare wire. Take out the fuse for the TC. On one end of the fuse holder put a quick disconect on, then put one on a piece of wire. Conect the other end of the wire and fuse holder to the switch. Plug in the quick disconects where the fuse goes for the TC and put the TC fuse in the holder. Mount it under the dash. When turned off your ABS light will be on. It maybe $10-15 for all the parts. Hope it is understandable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks for the input. that's what i was thinking but i wasn't sure if it would work. thank you focuzdsvt... enjoy

shiny side up.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info I think I might just have to try and do this one

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
so, basically, when you turn the switch on, it kills both the abs and traction control, but you can just swtich it back on, to have both the traction control and abs operational? if so, it sounds awesome, thanks focuzdSVT

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Can you send me a pic or more detailed info on after you remove the fuse and put what in its place? I am not familiar with doing any of this (wiring stuff is ok but never messed with fuses). If some one could just make it clearer for me how the final product looks in the fuse box I would be very thankful.

[email protected]

·
Registered
764 Posts
The final product just looks bad no matter how you do it. And the ECU still limits the engine even after the fuse is out. If you guys want the TC eliminated you need a New ECU. There like $250 but make sure you don't use your ECU as a core, just get it new. You'll need the ECU for the non Euro SVTF. This way if you don't want the TC you plug in one ECU and if you do, Plug in the other. Doing it this way will allow you to keep the ABS but loose the traction controll and have no lights on the dash.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
When he says ecu I think he is talking about the main computer (ecu/pcm). If so replacing this with a new one or modified one your looking at $200 dollars for a cheap one. Also if you are narrowing this down to just TC (traction control) I can't see paying $200 dollars to have TC completly off and my abs active. Didn't cars used to not have ABS and then even when it came around it was an option. You would not even tell it was there unless you were in a critical life or death situation. Just driving around town and not slamming on your breaks you would never tell. Abs does not activate every time you touch the brakes, its there when you are stopping and getting wheel slipage (Correct?).

Sorry for the long explaination, point is $15 dollars compared to $200 to disable tc? I will take the $15 mod, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
One more thing, I asked earlier but no answer. Can some one tell me what goes in the empty fuse spot after installing the switch method? I can not picture this in my head so don't know how to go about this. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts