Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the left wheel bearing on my 2004 ZTW. It does not have abs on the rear drums. Now the traction control and abs lights have turned on. Why is this? I hooked it up to the diagnosis and it showed me nothing. I disconnected the battery and nothing happened. Any ideas?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hmm, if it has ABS, it has tone rings on the rear drums as well, if the rings are not there, the result will be as you stated. You need a code scanner that can read Ford ABS systems to get the error codes. Which bearing did you replace? Front or rear? If front the bearing may be inserted the wrong way around, (think the tone ring is a part of the bearing, not sure).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah sorry, it was the rear left bearing. It doesnt appear to have abs on the rear. Any thoughts? Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
772 Posts
If it has an ABS light, it has an ABS sensor on the rear drums somewhere. There has never been front wheel only ABS, only rear wheel ABS on trucks in the 1990's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
wheel speed sensor! even though you dont have rear abs the rear wheel speed sensor will have input into your abs. im not familiar enough with it to pinpoint the problem completely but im pretty sure thats where your problem is

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup to all the above, If it's a CAR, having ABS means sensors at all 4 wheels - and on the Focus the "tone ring" the sensor "sees" is part of the bearing - wrong bearing, no ring, no ABS...

·
Registered
602 Posts
On a rear drum , the first thing you pry off to get access to the circlip is the tone ring.... has to be put back on with a piece of soft wood & a mallet, if you have to put it back on now, you should also replace the bearing again, it does not like beiing pulled of the shaft....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts