Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im having some traction issues and im not quite sure where to start.

Basically, when I accelerate, my front driver has a tendency to spin, while my passenger side grips. It did this before the new tires as well. im not sure if this is a result of bad repairs or a result of reprograming the chip and a few engine modifications that give it more oomph.

if its a case of having more low end hp and acceleration now, is there something I can do to beef up the traction control?

a bit of a back story. I was in a pretty bad accident a while back and came close to totaling my car. after the repairs, I found that they missed a bent tie rod on the front passenger side (inner and outer). when those were replaced, I started seeing the issue that im having (which was about the same time I did the engine mods). my car has been aligned and I have verified that theres no bend in the drivers side tie rods.

any ideas would be incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Could be that the ABS/traction control sensor or wiring has been damaged.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be that the ABS/traction control sensor or wiring has been damaged.
was just replaced about a month ago from the accident. not discrediting it, but would really hope that's the one thing that they actually fixed correctly :-/

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
so im having some traction issues and im not quite sure where to start.

Basically, when I accelerate, my front driver has a tendency to spin, while my passenger side grips. It did this before the new tires as well. im not sure if this is a result of bad repairs or a result of reprograming the chip and a few engine modifications that give it more oomph.

if its a case of having more low end hp and acceleration now, is there something I can do to beef up the traction control?

a bit of a back story. I was in a pretty bad accident a while back and came close to totaling my car. after the repairs, I found that they missed a bent tie rod on the front passenger side (inner and outer). when those were replaced, I started seeing the issue that im having (which was about the same time I did the engine mods). my car has been aligned and I have verified that theres no bend in the drivers side tie rods.

Nothing to do w/ traction= How is your alignment? toe, castor & thrust angle? If your abs/ t/c works & your looking for more forward bite= add a torsen/quaife/mfactory diff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing to do w/ traction= How is your alignment? toe, castor & thrust angle? If your abs/ t/c works & your looking for more forward bite= add a torsen/quaife/mfactory diff.
Without a second opinion, I'm going to say its good. I just had all 4 wheels aligned about 2 weeks ago, when I had the tie rod fixed. I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow for a look over. I have a thought but may be very off base. When my alignment was done, I had a set of mismatched tires on the front because the tire shop sucks. The only thing I can think of is they aligned a mismatch so when set tires went on it through it out of alignment. There's nothing else I can think of.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Without a second opinion, I'm going to say its good. I just had all 4 wheels aligned about 2 weeks ago, when I had the tie rod fixed. I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow for a look over. I have a thought but may be very off base. When my alignment was done, I had a set of mismatched tires on the front because the tire shop sucks. The only thing I can think of is they aligned a mismatch so when set tires went on it through it out of alignment. There's nothing else I can think of.
Could be^^^ What are the spec's? Is the thrust angle off? Hows the front & rear toe? I'd also get a set of matching tires too, at least for the front.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
How much throttle are you giving it when the tires spin...?

I mean, they WILL spin with enough throttle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree...it may be alignment....where did you have it done....Ford has such a lax variation on tolerance that I would not take to national chains...locals will do a more exact alignment....IMO! PS You can turn off traction control to see if that is what causing it.

·
Registered
845 Posts

This is almost certainly the problem. Take it back to whoever fixed it, or take it somewhere else. It's really quite hard to get a car back to how it was after an accident, and sometimes it's impossible. My fiance got in an accident a few years back and had her car fixed 2-3 times (Cant remember). They just kept finding new things and new things that they didn't find before. Eventually we worked out something between the dealer, insurance company, and her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts