Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This wagon has been to almost all of the road race tracks in the Midwest, either as a tow vehicle or as the track vehicle. But it recently spun a rod bearing so I thought I would take some pics of it (still runs and drives) as it sits.

I have a fresh built engine and trans ready to go in, but after so many Midwest winters the body is starting to show rust and used Focus wagons are just so expensive now, and there are no manuals to be found. Swapping everything into a fresh shell would be straightforward, but it’s a lot of money+effort and I no longer have interest in the car.

It was built as a genuine midwest daily driver, has been driven year round for many years. I know many will wonder why JRSC instead of turbo. This package is as maintenance free as an OEM car, in all the years commuting, towing and tracking, only normal fluid and consumables have been needed. No tinkering, fiddling, tuning, tweaking. The hood rarely gets opened, my expectation is that I turn the key and it goes, day after day. It's not a race car and if it was, power wouldn't be the priority anyway, it's already traction limited in 3rd and 4th gear corners.

It will probably be put as much as possible back to stock in the process, unless I sell it outright as is, haven’t decided yet. Also have extensive spares (manifolds, chassis/brake parts, engine parts, new M62, etc) so I may put it all in the classifieds as a shop clean out package, or I might just put the new engine/trans in and sell the parts after the car sells. Anyway, in it’s current state:

Engine – SVT shortblock, Diamond pistons, big valve ported base Zetec cylinder head, mix and match grind Comp Cams, JRSC SVT blower modified for base head, SVT throttle body, SVT airbox, SVT header, Borla SVT exhaust modified for wagon

Trans – Torsen diff, late model 3.41 first gear gearset from Duratec MTX-75, Exedy flywheel/clutch

Chassis – Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Multimatic inverted front dampers, Koni adjustable rear dampers, OEM 19mm front stabar and bushings, Eibach 25mm rear bar

Brakes – Front Wilwood Forged Superlite calipers with 12.2 x 1.25 rotors on modified Wilwood hats, rear SVT calipers on 12.0 x 0.35 rotors on modified Wilwood hats, hubs modified for 5x100 bolt pattern

Wheels – Enkei RPF-1 17x8

Tires - Summer, 235/40 front, 215/45 rear (cheap and grippy, usually Falken or Hankook), Winter, whatever is on sale (Michelin or Bridgestone)

Interior – SVT Euro heated seats, center console, steering wheel, e-brake handle

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
I <3 your wagon!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
That's sweet dude! You have found an ingenious way to take two "track" vehicles somewhere and race them.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
that is one sick ass wagon you got there dude.

honestly i would put the same size tires front and rear...but the wheels looks perfect on it, the PRF1s.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it wasn't doing any good just sitting there so I put the new engine and trans in to get it on the road again. Also took care of a few things that were on the back of my mind.

So, here's the old engine/trans out, the SVT header was Swain Tech coated but didn't like the salt on the roads so much:

First, I wanted to do a better job matching the ports on the JRSC manifold. This is an SVT system intalled on a base Zetec head so the port heights and shapes are different. I was in a rush when I put it together the first time and only altered the mounting holes and not the port shapes. This time I wanted to match the ports as well as improve the entry angle at the roof and floor of the intake manifold port to match the intake port in the cylinder head.

Cleaned the manifold as best I could in an ultrasonic cleaner and then lots of soap and hot water, but there was still alot of oil in the casting, not so much fun to weld, and difficult to get deep into the port. I did the best I could, here it is set up on the mill to start cleaning the port face:

After it's roughed with an end mill then two passes with a face milling cutter to true the surface:

Then blue it up and scribe the reference lines for the ports, and rough with an end mill. The flange is angled on the fixture the same as the intake port entrance angle on the cylinder head, this also helps provide a reference for the correct port angles while hand porting:

Then, lots of time listening to the whine of the die grinder. The port floors needed some devcon to give a bellmouth shape to the floor to help blend into the angled floor on the cylinder head. On the roof there was a decent amount of material removal required to get the correct angle:

With that done, the throttle body inlet adaptor was next. A supercharger cares much more about the volume and flow immediately upstream of the throttle body than a turbocharged engine, and there was much room for improvement with this one. A little bit of devcon was required in one corner, but otherwise it was just porting:

Last thing for the manifold is a little press in tube for the brake booster fitting so that it pulls from the top of the manifold (where there isn't oil) instead of the bottom of the manifold where oil tends to puddle, it's just a press in stand pipe:

Now onto engine dress. Oh, the engine, about the same spec as before, SVT bottom end, Swain Tech coated OEM +0.5mm pistons, CNC ported cylinder head. After much deliberation I'm using stock Zetec intake and a stock SVT exhaust cam, degreed to the production centerlines.

Here is the phenolic intake manifold spacer/gasket, just 0.125" raw material cut to shape:

Fresh SVT header, this time Jet Hot coated:

Next the clutch. I never liked the Exedy Stage III clutch for daily driving, takeup and modulation were never good with the 6 puck disk, although it never slipped. But I wanted a more streetable set up so a production style lined disk was sourced from Clutchnet and the assembly sent out for modification to Fort Wayne Clutch. The pressure plate friction surface and the flywheel were both cut down to allow for the much thicker lined disk. Service and communication from Fort Wayne Clutch was top notch, price was good and the finished assembly works great:

Then just bolt everything back together and into the car. The trans is fresh from Liberty's, same spec as previous, tall 1st gear Duratec MTX75 gearset (new) with Torsen. Case powder coated black:

That's it, just running it in now, feels great, initial response at small throttle openings is noticeably increased, should be pretty good when it's broken in. No pics, looks the same as before.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My heart melts when I see all this win!
No kidding! Only 27 posts since 2004 is almost an atrocity, I can't believe we haven't been exposed to this thing moar!!!

So grpb, have you decided to keep this thing? Or are you just doing it up right for the next lucky owner?

Edit: Also I was wondering why you didnt just go with an SVT head along with the shortblock and other SVT goodies??

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Just plain Love it ... and love the photos with story and follow up.

Glad to see the ride with some new parts cleaned and ported. Very nice.

-Ray-

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Awesome!

Not sure how i missed this when you posted the first time. I've been to waterford many many times for track events. i'm not sure how I've never seen you there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bro, that is a thing of beauty, love the pic with sti, vett, FOCUS WAGON, bmer, lotus.
which enkei rims are those? i wonder if they come in 4 lug.....

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Curious question. I can see the JRSC and the intake tube up from it to the factory air box. Why not run a open filter wouldn't it be more power, or is there a special rule or regulation to run the OEM air box? Nice car man I hope you decide to keep it after all your hard work. a sleeper by all means.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beautiful swagon bro. I want to do the st front end conversion to my 04 swagon and get rid of the old engine and auto trans.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts