Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally looking to get a set of track tires this winter for next season.
What would be a good track only tire that wont break the bank? I only do 2-3 events per year and would like them to last at least 2-3 years, if possible.

I am open to used if anyone has hook ups?

·
Registered
369 Posts
What type of track events? HPDE's, auto x's, driver schools- if you have done a few then time to move up, but speed costs and rubber will wear out. Kumho makes two terrific tires as intermediate road race tires are great, azenia is also a good tire that should last, Dunlap also makes a good aggressive high performance track tire. Storage between events must also be part of the process, store like wine, in a dark cool place away from electrical motors and stuff in covered bags. Have fun and keep the shinny side up

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are just open track events at a 1.5 mi road course here in MI .
Any more specific info on the tires?? Size, model, ect…
I dont need the best tire out there, just something that will be better/ more fun than my all season michelin pilots

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know, do I want R comps?!?!
You arnt kidding!! They are quite expensive.
Are there any "summer" tires that might lean more at track use than road use?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I use both Toyo RA1’s and the Dunlop Star Spec. I would say if you only have a few years driving experience and are still in the intermediate run group go with the Dunlop, you’ll get several years out of them. They will get how and lose some grip however once hot they stay consistent.
As for the RA1’s I love mine, however I hated them at first, I got a set unshaved and they were terrible. Once I wore off the tread and they became slick they are fantastic. My next set will be shaved. One recommendation is you go to a race tire, get 15” rims there are a few that will fit the svt, however you may need to grind down the caliper a little for them to clear. The 15” race tires have more choices available and tend to be a good bit cheaper. Remember once you go to a race tire you will have a hard time going back

Reactions: Kal-EL428

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guy!
I guess I will need to do some reading on which tire I will wabt to get.

I know I should search, but any thoughts on 15" wheels that fit a SVT?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A track buddy pointed me at a website that sell’s used Hoosiers R6’s that have at least 75% life left for $145 per tire, so I think I am going to lean towards that tire.
The price’s for 17” and 16” are the same. Here are the sizes available that I think would be my only options
225x50x16
225x40x17
225x45x17
I have not gotten a second set of wheels yet, so I could go either way (16” v. 17”). Which do you guys think would be best suited for a SVT?
Sorry for the noob questions

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
^^ Especially on an SVT

-Ray-

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the next size down in a 205x45x16.
Does the smaller diameter outweigh the loss of width?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I run kumho 215/40-16 on my improved touring car. I have tried Hoosiers in a 45 series. Thinking about moving to that series for more sidewall as the 40 series is very sensitive to road hazards on track like curbs. If your going to get extra sets of wheels the 17 is much easier to find in both new and used. Light weight 16's are hard to come by. Supply of tires at track are also easier and much greater selection in 17's.

·
Registered
335 Posts
onlinetires.com
vulcantire.com
and of course: tirerack.com

if you're doing open track events and not competing I would recommend you not go too crazy with semi-slicks etc. You'll improve quicker on a tyre that is more progressive at the limit, rather than a proper race tyre where the grip is more on/off. That way you can have a better feel for how the car reacts to different inputs. On race rubber its easy to make a bunch of small mistakes and not even be fully aware of it because the grip level is so high.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting point. I had never even considered that before.
I only go to open track days at one track here in Michigan. I know it pretty well. I don’t know how many “little’ mistakes I really make. Though I am sure I make them at every turn.[hihi]
We are just out for fun, no timers, only in car stuff. I think that the amount of grip from a pure race tire would be way more fun than shaving a few tenths off my lap...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^ you are talking about full race tires lasting???

·
Registered
291 Posts
18-20 track days?! Not heat cycles??
For HPDE's I don't really notice any issues with heat cycling. The tires do get harder as they age but it is something that you work around. Once I put a new set on you can tell the difference in fresh tires but the old ones work fine if you're not collecting trophies or trying for lap times.
It takes me 10 or so days to get them to the "slick" stage.
The nice thing about the Nitto's is they aren't directional. They have an inside and an outside, so you can rotate the tires to any wheel position.
A friend of mine runs Hoosiers on his SVT and he is much faster through the corners than I am, but he spends twice the money for the tires and gets half the number of events.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts