Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the track didnt go so well for me tonight. Turns out I cant launch for shit. Anyway, heres the slip from my first run, were just gonna forget about the second run.

For this run i revved to about 3500rpm and floored it while dumping the clutch. Got a little wheel hope then it bogged.

R/T - 0.252
60' - 2.494
330 - 6.929
1/8 - 10.489
MPH - 68.77
1000 - 13.518
1/4 - 16.074
MPH - 87.64

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
dumping the clutch isnt the way to go , those times are slower than mine, you should be revving to about to 3k, then as the third to last light is lit, start easing off the clutch....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
looks like you red lighted also with a .252 reaction time. Perfect reaction time is a .500 Work on your shifting and launch and you should hit mid 15's easy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CowsGoMoo said:
looks like you red lighted also with a .252 reaction time. Perfect reaction time is a .500 Work on your shifting and launch and you should hit mid 15's easy.
Whens the last time you went drag racing or watched it on TV??? The new perfect reaction time is .000 not .500. I rarely redlight. My shifting i think was pretty good. that 60' should have been like 2 tenths better which is about 4 tenths at the 1/4. That run should have been 15.6-15.8.

Oh i tried slowly letting out the clutch the second time. I dont knwo what happened. Im looking at my tach all of a sudden up near 7000 and not really going anywhere. really ****ed that run up 2.8 something 60'

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have to agree dumping the clutch I have learned is a no, no at the track, makes for a horrible 60 ft time, easing off the clutch at launch does help stop the bog (be careful stock clutch is very sensitive), but the Foci SVT is just not a good launching car, I believe due to the tall 1st gear, this is my opinion only though, since you do not have TC you dont have to worry about that, I have TC and have had better times running with it on, but dont fret too much your times will improve with practice.[;)]

I also have a ZX5 and with exhaust and ORP only (only have 1/8 tracks local) best time was a 10.22, since adding the mods best time has been 10.08 both with T/C on, since I have read of other SVTF running in the nine's with less mods than mine, I got a lot of work to do at the track. [:D] I will have to say this I wonder sometimes if the weight differance really does effect the performance on the track with the ZX5 compared to the ZX3 SVT? Who knows.

Best of luck too you, work on your reaction time, shifting and launch you should improve your times.....oh and advoid the rev limiter, it is a nasty little thing.[:D]

(Edit note: If a perfect light was .000 at the track you raced then you had a good time, I believe that most of us are used to running with the perfect reation time starting at .500, this is I believed used at most tracks.)

·
Registered
341 Posts
any gain you'll get in slippin the clutch in the 60' will be at the expense of your clutch. daily drivers remember. i have all the guys dump. 3,5k in an svt is low, try 4k and change in 100rpm increments. no changes in tire psi....dont do it. 7k shifts. you will get 15s no prob. just drop it, you'll do fine. oh btw, no flatshifting (power shiftin is what these kids call it i believe).

good luck, keep at it. and most important other than have fun....

....LOG EVERYTHING (get a log book from the track (loox like a magazine)), keep the records, it will help immensly.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
R&DSVTZX5, man I saw what you said about running in the 9's and got all kinds of excited, I don't know how I missed the part about it being 1/8 instead of the 1/4.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
jollyjohnj said:
R&DSVTZX5, man I saw what you said about running in the 9's and got all kinds of excited, I don't know how I missed the part about it being 1/8 instead of the 1/4.
Ahhhhh, that would be a dream come true.........but not with this Focus.[:)]
I have read on other forums of some racers getting their cars in the upper 9's and mid to low 15's on 1/4, if I could run a 10 flat I would be happy, the car is just a horrible line launcher tried everything TC on, TC off by push button, TC off by fuse pulled, just no luck [?|].....Here in good old Alabama we only have state wide like only 2 maybe 3 1/4 tracks, 3 hour drive to the closest one for me.[rolleyes] This is again just my opinion but I believe you can utilize the most out of the SVTF on a 1/4 track.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I don't have t/c on mine. The closest track to me is about an hour and a half, but they are talking about moving the municipal airport in my town to a different location. I'm thinking if that actually happens, someone should really take advantage of what is now the current airport and make a strip there. There's quite a bit of rice here, and I wouldn't mind taking some of them on in a safe place. Of course it's really close to a lot of residential housing so there probably would be some complaints about noise.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
jollyjohnj said:
I don't have t/c on mine. The closest track to me is about an hour and a half, but they are talking about moving the municipal airport in my town to a different location. I'm thinking if that actually happens, someone should really take advantage of what is now the current airport and make a strip there. There's quite a bit of rice here, and I wouldn't mind taking some of them on in a safe place. Of course it's really close to a lot of residential housing so there probably would be some complaints about noise.
Someone would complain, this always happens.[:(] By the way what do the voices say to you about a future SC Focus from Ford?[;)]

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
We say it sounds good to us and if it happens John should buy one immediately and see how fast it will go.

Please don't bring them into this they get me in trouble all the time.

No we don't.

Yes you do.

No we don't.

Yes you do.

No....

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
jollyjohnj said:
We say it sounds good to us and if it happens John should buy one immediately and see how fast it will go.

Please don't bring them into this they get me in trouble all the time.

No we don't.

Yes you do.

No we don't.

Yes you do.

No....
Tell them thanks, they seem to be wise.[;)]

·
Registered
76 Posts
UltegraSTI said:
no flatshifting (power shiftin is what these kids call it i believe).
-Ult
Flatshifting??? I haven't been to a drag race in a long time, but can't say I've ever heard that term. Power shifting on a bike is no clutch. Although I can float the gears on a car, it's slower then using the clutch. I've heard the term double shifting, but don't see it's use on a transmission with syncro's.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
"slipping" the clutch is bad for the tranny but dropping it isnt? wow why even use the clutch at all.........

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have some track results I would like to post, so I thought to bring this thread back to life. [:D] I went last night for the first time since owning the car to a 1/4 track. Just wanted to post my best time, yes I did red light, these things sometimes happen. [:D]

R/T.........................488
1/8....................10.296
MPH.....................70.33
1/4.....................15.776
MPH.....................89.65

This is not the best run that I have had in this car, it seems that the my SVTF 60 ft time and me just dont get along real well. Any tips are more than welcome in my book. I would really like to know if anybody has had any luck with getting the ZX5 SVT any faster than this? If so, with what mods and how? For the love of SVTF how? [pray]

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have taken my SVT a decent amount quicker than that stock, but its a 3 door, so weight and all that. As far as slipping clutch, its the most effective way I have found to launch this car, but the more power you make it gets like way harder to launch, and I have gone down the quarter alot, and my clutch is shot at just over 20,000, so watch out for that.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
well you hve a stg 3 clutch and lw flywheel, you dont seem to make enough tourque from my understanding to really need those

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
mofocus said:
well you hve a stg 3 clutch and lw flywheel, you dont seem to make enough tourque from my understanding to really need those
Clutch and lw flywheel dont help untill you get going and up in the RPM's, but you are right, cannot get the true power from these with out having more torque. what mods would you recommend that will help produce more torque? Been thinking about going with a short ram intake, and a set of udp, since mods are so far and few inbetween with the SVTF it is hard to really utilize what would be best performance wise for the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts