Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Get rid of the weight penalty.
2) reduce air in the front tires; add extra air to the rear tires.
3) utilize launch options (I have a DCT, so I think there's 4, or 5 different ways I could launch).
4) E85
Am I missing anything here? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Unless you are spinning off the line, don't deflate your tires. Start at normal PSI and work your way down. If you have notes from previous runs then start around that PSI but don't deflate right at the start if this is the first time out. More air in tires reduces rolling resistance so starting out with flat tires can be detrimental. Only want them flat enough to hook; no more, no less.

Don't forget basic stuff like oil/coolant/trans fluid checks at the start and periodically between runs.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Yes indeed don't lower your tire pressure unless you have drag radials. Also don't go with a full tank of gas. Maybe 1/4 tank to reduce some weight. Leave enough to make the drive home or the local gas station. And most of all be safe and have a good time. [thumb]

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I was planning to run with a 1/4 tank. I also plan on having lots of wheel spin using launch control without traction control. I was thinking 30 psi for the front tires.

Question: do you think it would help to push the passenger seat all the way forward, and lay the back support towards the dash, and then slide the driver seat as close to the steering wheel (comfortably) as I can to try to keep weight towards the front of the car?

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
It would not hurt to try. I have never tried that. Moving the drivers seat might make your clutch feel different. You could also take out the spare tire and any tools you may have in the back. I also used to go around the water box and then do a small burn out to clean my tires. You don't want water dripping down on your tires that could cause you to spin off the line. But you can try it both ways to see what works for you.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would not hurt to try. I have never tried that. Moving the drivers seat might make your clutch feel different. You could also take out the spare tire and any tools you may have in the back. I also used to go around the water box and then do a small burn out to clean my tires. You don't want water dripping down on your tires that could cause you to spin off the line. But you can try it both ways to see what works for you.
The spare, jack, Hatch lid(s), and head rests will be removed for sure. I'm even considering removing the back seats. I don't have a clutch to worry about either, so it'll be easier to drive with my seat close to the wheel as well.

Thanks for the tip about the water box.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the 201A "appearance package" Cooper summer tires on 17" rims. 215/50R17

Max 50 psi; which is what I'm planning on having in at the rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts