Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oki so ive been having some troubles with my car idling horrible and i did a scan with xcal and found tps was out of range, so i tried to adjust it and the closest i could get was .70's i know it should be around .96 it seems to run better as i got the voltage up but it just cannot get it up enough. ideas? i have 2000 intake manifold and 02 tb and the thin tps on zetec with atx

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
TPS is not adjustable. It's basically a rheostat that increases resistance as you turn it. It fits in only one way- in fact, if you decide to replace it yourself, try this first: Remove the two screws, now the TPS should tilt backwards towards the engine. Remember this because when you go to install the new one if you install it by simply lining the screw holes up and install the screws tightly it will not work and you'll be very likely to break it. Make sure that you tilt it so that it fits in it's slot flush with the mounting surface, then rotate it to line the screw holes up.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xcal says 1120/1125 its tps codes and i checked the tps the voltage is low....it will not get in range...can iac throw the tps out of wack?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Hmmm, not likely. I'd suggest pulling very hard on the wires that go to the TPS to be sure that the connector is not damaged, and then tracing down the wiring harness from that point to be sure there's not any damage to it somewhere.

TPS's should last for a while. If you're getting one from a parts store maybe you should consider going to a different parts store unless you have a warranty for it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the tps has 5v comin into it on the yellow side and just over 4v @ wot but the closed throttle is where its lacking...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
High resistance sounds to be the problem. New TPS is the remedy.

Also try resetting the ECU and see if the voltages change, I'd bet they will a bit.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I reset the ecu several times and tryd adjusting it many times. Could the 2000 tps not work with an 03 ecu?

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
at idle you should be seeing roughly .6 to .9 volts , ease into the throttle (engine off key on) and you should see it go to 4.6 to 4.9 volts if it does this more then likely the TPS is ok

What is the STFT1 reading on your scan tool at idle ?

Tom

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive never done a data log, it was my dads xcal he just came over with it so i could get a reading of what codes i had, to give me an idea where to look. this car has been nothing but trouble sence the new/used motor. the car will hardly idle it pops alot and and will rev up or just pop and die. i can feel a pop in the intake.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
My TPS usually sets around the .9 to 1volt range (at idle) on both my Focus and my Cobra.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
This reading/Video is of a Properly working TPS

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow thanks for the video...ima gunna try and replace it again....i may just buy a new tb and the newer style tps..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts