Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for preparing for winter I purchased the following

4 18" oem titanium wheels
4 215/45/18 michelin ice-x2 tires
4 ford oem tpms sensors with resetting tool
4 oem mud flaps

I had all the tires mounted and balanced at my local Ford dealer.

Being that it is getting cold rather quickly, I spent the day swapping the tires and installing the factory oem mud flaps.

The factory tires look good, and the oem mud flaps are the best fit I have ever seen.

So I go for a long ride, then coffee, then a long ride and then to local gas station to check air pressure in cold weather, as tires will loose 1 pound pressure for every 10 degree drop in temperature.

Needless to say at no time did the tpms sensor ever trigger a fault on the dashboard, as of yet I have never reset the sensors to allow the computer to even know that these new wheels and tires are present.

The factory rims and tires are stored off site so the car is not reading them 10 miles away.

So my question is, does the tpms system even work or does it automatically recognize the new sensors.

Everything except the tires are oem part numbers, designed for this vehicle.

[pray]

·
Registered
103 Posts
My understanding is that the Focus' system needs to be reset by a dealer or someone having a reset tool. The vehicle has no "learning mode" to tell it that new sensors/wheels have been installed. I believe some have said that their cars didn't trigger a light, but some may have had their lights go on after a few days.

As for the tire pressure and drop, yes, the rule is that the tire pressure changes by 1 psi per 10 degree change. But make sure you take the pressure measurement when the tires are cold and not after a long ride. My experience has been that this can be the case, but usually it is gradual, so you might not get an instantaneous drop in just a few hours.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
needs to be reset by the mechanic who does the tires or your dealership, as I understand its a fairly simple procedure, but I don't know the specifics. It actually has to be done even with the same set of TPMS sensors, like the Mazda wheels I had they were swappable, but have to be changed for the different rims.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope that it doesn't take a couple of day for the light to come on, as that would be absolutely useless if you had a sudden loss of air in your tires.

I guess I might have to wait and see.

I got the reset tool from steve at Tousley Ford for $32

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 3

up until today, nothing I switched rims and tires with new sensors, and absolutely nothing.

going down I-5 to Bellingham, then small screen alert comes on, telling me problems with TPMS system as a "FAULT". followed by buzzing, and pinging then flashing tire indicator light comes up on speedo display, and also a trouble light by gas gauge. flashing light on speedo finally stopped flashing and went to solid and buzzing on display cancelled.

ok, I think I can live with this now that I have been notified, now I sit in line at Costco gas pumps, turn off car, then re-start it a minute later, guess what, alarms and buzzers all starting again, I attempt to reset TPMS sensors while in line, 3/4 way through procedure and guess what car ahead moves forward, needless to say I cancel procedure, and pull forward.

finally after 20 minutes in line I am finished, and pull into parking lot and park, I attempt to start "reset procedure" first time nothing, second time nothing, third time I get a confirmation honk of horn to go, tire by tire, triggering sensor for car to learn new codes, at least all worked with each new sensor, getting a confirmation honk, and no final honk of horn to indicate a mistake. I restart car all is silent and no warnings.

I guess the $32 trigger was worth it, and next time in spring, when I change tires back to summer, I will innate new sensors immediately.

and if anyone is wanting to know what the programming is, here is what I used for the pushbutton start vehicle, which I believe at this time is only the Titanium models.

If your vehicle has push-button ignition:

1. Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).

2. Make sure the ignition button is OFF then press and release the brake pedal.

3. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

4. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.

5. Press and release the brake pedal.

6. Tap the ignition button once so the vehicle is OFF.

7. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

8. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.

9. The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.

10. Place the top of FORDTRIGGER on the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire in the location of the valve stem.

11. Press the button of the FORDTRIGGER tool. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.

12. Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process.

Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.

13. After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver’s side rear tire.

14. You may now turn the ignition to OFF.

If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully.

If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

If after doing this numerous times and actually successful you are entitled to go to the local bar and have a drink.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If this is the case, TPMS system on the Focus is worthless. My Fusion would alert of low tire pressure or TPMS fault before you even pulled out of the garage.

Thing is we can do without the TPMS system, but the one on the focus is both worthless and annoying because then it starts bugging you after a few days.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
If this is the case, TPMS system on the Focus is worthless. My Fusion would alert of low tire pressure or TPMS fault before you even pulled out of the garage.

Thing is we can do without the TPMS system, but the one on the focus is both worthless and annoying because then it starts bugging you after a few days.
I thought the way it worked (I could be wrong) was that the car checks the monitors intermittently (to save their batteries) just to make sure the little buggers are still working. If not, they give you that error 2 days later (not sure why it takes so long...) But if they sense low tire pressure, they immediately send a signal to the car. Our problem is that we're removing the tires completely; they don't have low pressure.

If you want to test the system, let out 10-15psi and see if you automatically get a warning. If not, then you're right - they're worthless.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I thought the way it worked (I could be wrong) was that the car checks the monitors intermittently (to save their batteries) just to make sure the little buggers are still working. If not, they give you that error 2 days later (not sure why it takes so long...) But if they sense low tire pressure, they immediately send a signal to the car. Our problem is that we're removing the tires completely; they don't have low pressure.

If you want to test the system, let out 10-15psi and see if you automatically get a warning. If not, then you're right - they're worthless.
According to motorcraft documents, the sensors wake up at 15 MPH, and go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.

See my original TPMS thread for the update on your second comment.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
See my original TPMS thread for the update on your second comment.
...I deflated one of the original tires to 29 PSI (normally 39 PSI) which is calculated over the 25% drop margin.

Took it for a drive last night, about 6 miles, nothing.
Took it to work this morning, after about 15 miles, the low tire pressure alert came up, with the yellow and the TPMS amber light.

OK, what's the point in the way it's operating. If you had a tire slowly deflating on the highway it's going to be flat by the time this system detects it. Also if you have a low tire overnight in the garage, you won't know until you are 15 or more miles down the road????

Sweet nibblets! Hell, I can tell you if you have low tire pressure in under 15 miles. Why do these monitors cost so much, again?

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts