Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted this new 2016 Avalon image on Autoblog.

If you ask me the grille looks like a mix between a 2012 regular Focus and an ST.

I actually feel like this grille would have looked good on the Focus as an evolutionary step between the three piece look on the '12-'14 and the newly adopted "Aston" style grille on the '15.

They say imitation is flattery...

[unsure]

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
Looks better than the new Focus IMO. But I hate non-euro imports, so I guess its ugly lol.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I think it's more in line with the camry, corrolla than the focus. Camry looks better and Toyota should grow a pair and put a decent engine in the Corrolla S. If they could stuff that V6 in there it could be a monster.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I think it's more in line with the camry, corrolla than the focus. Camry looks better and Toyota should grow a pair and put a decent engine in the Corrolla S. If they could stuff that V6 in there it could be a monster.
Should at least bring back the XRS version,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I would had bought the Camry Hybrid if it wasn't for the price... I was going for the Corolla after, but the engine didn't have enough torque and the dash was ugly as hell. I finally went with the Focus. I made a good choice. I am not 75, but 23.

Also, now every car maker try to match the front of all of their car... I don't like the concept. Just have to think about Audi... It's not ugly, but everything look the same... From a A/3 to A/S7...

And by the way, Toyota sold only 14 Avalon last year in Quebec, yes, 14...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
are toyota camrys sold to people under 75 years of age ?
I thought that they were under the same age restrictions as buick.
^^^^^lol,,,,,

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

If you ask me the grille looks like a mix between a 2012 regular Focus and an ST.

I actually feel like this grille would have looked good on the Focus as an evolutionary step between the three piece look on the '12-'14 and the newly adopted "Aston" style grille on the '15.

[unsure]

No way, the new Focus front end, in my view, is much better than the ugly black grill on the 12-14 versions.

Toyota has had the overly large grill look for a while now so it wouldn't be fair to claim they are copying Ford on this.

A modern small car with smallish 4-cylinder engine, could get by with a small slit for air (engine and cooling) -- the huge grill on the Focus is pointless and can only hurt mpg.

Brian

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

[unsure]
I think the Camry SE ("sportier" trim level) resembles the look of the 2012 Focus and 2013 ST more than the Avalon does:

Are Toyota Camrys sold to people under 75 years of age ?
I thought that they were under the same age restrictions as Buick.
Ha ha. Don't challenge one with a V6 to a drag race with your Focus. Twisty roads are another story, though.

·
Registered
845 Posts
No way, the new Focus front end, in my view, is much better than the ugly black grill on the 12-14 versions.

Toyota has had the overly large grill look for a while now so it wouldn't be fair to claim they are copying Ford on this.

A modern small car with smallish 4-cylinder engine, could get by with a small slit for air (engine and cooling) -- the huge grill on the Focus is pointless and can only hurt mpg.

Brian
There's so much wrong with this statement. If youre looking for a car that only looks at practicality when it comes to design, good luck. Almost everything on a car is "pointless and can only hurt mpg". Have you ever seen a nearly perfectly aerodynamic design on a car? Probably not. They're awkward looking as hell, and in some places not even legal.

It's all about aesthetics, and the aesthetics on the 12-14 Focus and the 15 Focus are completely different from one another imo. The 12-14 looks like its designed for the 20-35 looking for a sporty look and fun driving car, that is still practical. The '15 Focus looks like it's designed around the 35 year old and up crowd that drives to work and business meetings. Neither one is better than the other, it just depends on your taste. Personally, I'd rather have the one that's fun to drive. But I know (boring) people who won't buy the 12-14 Focus because it's not as "professional" looking as they think it should be.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There's so much wrong with this statement. If youre looking for a car that only looks at practicality when it comes to design, good luck. Almost everything on a car is "pointless and can only hurt mpg". Have you ever seen a nearly perfectly aerodynamic design on a car? Probably not. They're awkward looking as hell, and in some places not even legal.

It's all about aesthetics, and the aesthetics on the 12-14 Focus and the 15 Focus are completely different from one another imo. The 12-14 looks like its designed for the 20-35 looking for a sporty look and fun driving car, that is still practical. The '15 Focus looks like it's designed around the 35 year old and up crowd that drives to work and business meetings. Neither one is better than the other, it just depends on your taste. Personally, I'd rather have the one that's fun to drive. But I know (boring) people who won't buy the 12-14 Focus because it's not as "professional" looking as they think it should be.
Try showing up to a business meeting in a race red 2014 ST with black wheels and loud exhaust.. couldn't really be any more inappropriate. [hihi]

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts

Brian
Again have you actually looked at the front end of the 12-14 Focus?

A fair chunk of the grille is permanently closed (including the outer two grilles by default), and then with the addition of the active grille shutter system the remainder of the grille can be as open as required or completely shut.

The cooling package was optimized for the required durability and performance targets while also having to meet the fuel economy and aerodynamic targets.

Although even when putting on the aftermarket zetec s style grilles that are more open I've not seen a huge change in aerodynamic drag or a reduction in MPG from them alone, which also indicates that other than in the direct high pressure area where the engine gets it's intake and cooling air charge from most of the air goes smoothly over the hood and around the bumper cover.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I think the Camry SE ("sportier" trim level) resembles the look of the 2012 Focus and 2013 ST more than the Avalon does:

Ha ha. Don't challenge one with a V6 to a drag race with your Focus. Twisty roads are another story, though.
Or even a v6 rav. One gave my old maxima a run for its money.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

Drag race a Focus against a Camry? Fair enough. How about a Fusion against a Camry?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Drag race a Focus against a Camry? Fair enough. How about a Fusion against a Camry?
V6 Camry would murder a fusion. It would be a drivers race vs a ST.

·
Registered
990 Posts
i drove a 2013 Camry as a rental a couple of years ago. I think it was the LE and definitely had the inline 4 in it.

It was a nice car to drive. Had some nice options, interior was nice, had paddle shifters, and was too boring of a drive. I liked it enough that I was looking at them before my wife bought her CR-V.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Interesting. Those V6 Camrys must be the quickest accelerating V6 FWD production vehicle. What do they run, mid to high 13s bone stock? I definitely need to check them out.

I've heard it said they easily defeat Mustang 3.7s and Camaro 3.6s which of course are RWD.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Interesting. Those V6 Camrys must be the quickest accelerating V6 FWD production vehicle. What do they run, mid to high 13s bone stock? I definitely need to check them out.

I've heard it said they easily defeat Mustang 3.7s and Camaro 3.6s which of course are RWD.
I think the quickest out now is the accord with the altima max and camry on its heels. More like low to mid 14's

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Try showing up to a business meeting in a race red 2014 ST with black wheels and loud exhaust.. couldn't really be any more inappropriate. [hihi]
Depends on what the business is and what the meeting is about. I would be impressed. (Did you mean a 2015?)

EDIT:

Duh. Now I get it. I was thinking of BlueIce's comparison of 2014 vs 2015 (sporty vs grown-up looking) and thought you were saying that if the 2015 is a Race Red ST then his point would not stand. Then I realized that you have a RR ST that is a 2014, so you were probably talking about yourself showing up to a meeting in it. And I'd still be favorably impressed -- as long as I didn't have to ride in the back seat.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Depends on what the business is and what the meeting is about. I would be impressed. (Did you mean a 2015?)

EDIT:

Duh. Now I get it. I was thinking of BlueIce's comparison of 2014 vs 2015 (sporty vs grown-up looking) and thought you were saying that if the 2015 is a Race Red ST then his point would not stand. Then I realized that you have a RR ST that is a 2014, so you were probably talking about yourself showing up to a meeting in it. And I'd still be favorably impressed -- as long as I didn't have to ride in the back seat.
I was definitely talking about myself. Had to park in a parking garage across the street or have the car valet parked. I opted to park across, which apparently so did the owner of the company I work for as did the rep for the insurance company we were meeting. So naturally having a car with a good sounding exhaust I rolled the windows down and kept the RPM's up for the amazing sound of my exhaust echoing in the garage. Turned a corner and there was both of the people I was meeting staring. Naturally I just pulled into the spot beside them and rolled the windows up and got out like nothing had happened. The rep from the other company commented on how the car sounded, but the owner of the company I worked for wasn't impressed. I heard about it the next day.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts