Registered
683 Posts
I wouldn't ...
(from page 255 in owners manual, second printing):
"TRAILER TOWING
WARNING: Never tow a trailer with this vehicle. Your vehicle is
not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through
an authorized dealer."

I believe some are attaching receivers for bicycle transport, though.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
You might run the risk of voiding Your warranty(due to frame, suspension or transmission damage potential), but people have towed and hauled significant amounts of stuff in the past with their smaller, weaker 1st gen Foci, so I'm pretty sure the gen 3 can take it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might run the risk of voiding Your warranty(due to frame, suspension or transmission damage potential), but people have towed and hauled significant amounts of stuff in the past with their smaller, weaker 1st gen Foci, so I'm pretty sure the gen 3 can take it.
Thanks for pointing that out. The last thing I want to do is void the trans warranty. I bet it would. I'll talk to the ford dealer about it before I make the investment.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Ford Focus was tested in Alps with a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FuQSlNKREc&feature=player_embedded

min 1:51
Europe they have many different engine/transmission.

It isn't just the power of the engine and the strength of the transmission that matters. It is the cooling capacity of the engine/brakes. You could take the total load capacity (1000 Lbs?) subtract the weight of people in the car and the cargo in the car. The number left is what you can "safely" tow.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The weight of what you are towing and the distance you are towing it are factors to consider. I still laugh thinking about the picture of the guy towing a big loaded trailer with his Gen I, so it is actually possible to pull more than you might think.

I'd say that if you are putting on a hitch to be able to stick on a bike rack or if you are pulling a small boat and trailer short distances, you should be okay. Ford's warranty department might disagree, though, so checking with them before sinking money into it might be a good plan.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Acura MDX towing package included a transmission cooler and a power steering cooler. Since the 2012 Focus has electric steering and no fluid in the transmission I don't know what the effect of the greater load would be.

Is the electric power steering subject over heating with the added load? Will the load increase the heat in the transmission, with no fluid will it be able to dissipate heat from the added Load?

Even Ford may not know, and I wouldn't want to be the test subject with a new car.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The tranny certainly does have lubricant, just not something you can check or are supposed to service your self.

I would be more concerned about what towing would do to the clutches.

The picture of the utility trailer with a dirt bike is likely well under a 1000 lbs. I wouldn't even attempt to tow a 1500 lb boat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't ...
(from page 255 in owners manual, second printing):
"TRAILER TOWING
WARNING: Never tow a trailer with this vehicle. Your vehicle is
not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through
an authorized dealer."

I believe some are attaching receivers for bicycle transport, though.
Weird, although the manual states the above, it also references special considerations for when you are towing in several parts of the manual. It also mentions a special zoom mode for the rear camera when connecting a trailer (pg 286). The product guide for the Focus also has this:
Trailer Towing (4)
Towing Class Light-duty Class I
Gross Trailer Weight 1000 lbs. max.
Max. Tongue Load 100 lbs.
Hitch Design Load-carrying type

·
Registered
548 Posts
Oh this isn't what you meant?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Weird, although the manual states the above, it also references special considerations for when you are towing in several parts of the manual. It also mentions a special zoom mode for the rear camera when connecting a trailer (pg 286). The product guide for the Focus also has this:
Trailer Towing (4)
That is wierd ... nothing like consistancy! [bash]

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I heartily agree if you want too tow a boat you'd have been better off buying a ford ranger for a small boat than a focus. [smackbum][?|][8]
It's a small aluminum boat that weighs 700lbs empty. I also only live 1.5 miles from the lake. Besides I've had a ranger and I wasn't impressed with it. I'm also interested in possibly towing a pop-up camper for camping trips.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is wierd ... nothing like consistancy! [bash]
Trailer Towing (4)
Interesting.. that would get me close to what I'm wanting to tow for sure. Thanks for posting. (My Focus didn't come with a manual and I haven't printed mine out yet).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im pretty sure ford knows that people will try and tow with the car. So thats probably why they have some data on it in the manual. But to cover their asses they clearly state that you should not tow. Because their are a lot of dumb people out that will try something stupid and end up breaking stuff. As long as you dont over do it you should be just fine. It all depends on how much weight and also,... how you drive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts