Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2011 Ses that im contemplating putting a hitch on. It would be used for towing a small utility like trailer to move dirt, leaves, some rocks, a mower and light furniture. My question is dose anyone else tow with their focus and how does the car handle the load? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have a 1987 Coleman Columbia (should be around 800 pounds empty) that I tow with my 2011 5 speed. It works great. I don't need to ride the clutch or anything to take off and it stops great as well.

http://imgur.com/DW8KRqC.jpg

I had that loaded up with my camping gear for a week (food, clothes, drinks, refrigerator, batteries, generator,stove, splitting wedges, saws). Averaged 33MPG in that setup. Didn't go above 55 as that's what the tires are rated for. 32 on the way into the Adirondack mountains and 34 on the way home. Hand calculated, of course.

It works great. I have a Jeep that is rated to tow 5000 pounds, but the focus handles this trailer significantly better than the Jeep does. I'll be buying a small utility trailer when I move into a house next month and using that for Lowes runs behind the Focus.

This was probably close to 1500 pounds fully loaded with everything. Once you get a lot of tongue weight the rear tires tend to toe out a bit. So longer runs you may risk tire wear. I will probably put airbags in the rear springs just to keep the rear end up so it doesn't wear the rear tires.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 1987 Coleman Columbia (should be around 800 pounds empty) that I tow with my 2011 5 speed. It works great. I don't need to ride the clutch or anything to take off and it stops great as well.

http://imgur.com/DW8KRqC.jpg

I had that loaded up with my camping gear for a week (food, clothes, drinks, refrigerator, batteries, generator,stove, splitting wedges, saws). Averaged 33MPG in that setup. Didn't go above 55 as that's what the tires are rated for. 32 on the way into the Adirondack mountains and 34 on the way home. Hand calculated, of course.

It works great. I have a Jeep that is rated to tow 5000 pounds, but the focus handles this trailer significantly better than the Jeep does. I'll be buying a small utility trailer when I move into a house next month and using that for Lowes runs behind the Focus.

This was probably close to 1500 pounds fully loaded with everything. Once you get a lot of tongue weight the rear tires tend to toe out a bit. So longer runs you may risk tire wear. I will probably put airbags in the rear springs just to keep the rear end up so it doesn't wear the rear tires.
Thanks for that in put. I wont be towing all the time, its more or less the home depot runs or if a family member needs some help. But I will keep all this information in mind!! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
its true the tires toe in. I nearly killed a set of tires towing this load over the rockies for about 1000miles. power and brakeing were fine, but they were upgraded.
car was on lowering springs. I also had a set of tires and a tool box and luggage in the back.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its true the tires toe in. I nearly killed a set of tires towing this load over the rockies for about 1000miles. power and brakeing were fine, but they were upgraded.
car was on lowering springs. I also had a set of tires and a tool box and luggage in the back.
Damn, very nice!!

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Tires, toolbox & luggage in the back prob. had more effect than the trailer.

tongue weight is the issue if excessive with trailers, and you NEED 10% tlr. weight as tongue weight.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I picked up the wiring harness from e-trailer. It's plug and play. Unfortunately, I broke the clips for the tail lights but that's normal on Fords in my experience.

Tires, toolbox & luggage in the back prob. had more effect than the trailer.

tongue weight is the issue if excessive with trailers, and you NEED 10% tlr. weight as tongue weight.
I had to put the one tote with a lot of heavy stuff on the tongue for that reason. All the storage in my popup is BEHIND the axle. Makes it quite easy to get it loaded wrong.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Hear ya there.

Gets noticeable REAL fast if balanced the wrong way, too much up front only makes the tow vehicle ass drag. Trailer wag can get out of hand quickly without enough weight up front, BTDT and don't ever want a repeat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a hitch on my 2009 SE 5 speed and towed my Grizzly 600 atv (600 pounds) with my 5x8 Harbor Freight trailer. One time we loaded two atv's sideways and drove 1.5 hours to Haspin, that is 1300 pounds in atvs alone and I don't know what my trailer weighs (wood deck on top of steel). I have also towed a pair of jet skis. I drove it fairly smart and never had any issues. When I traded the 09 in for my 2011 SES (auto) I swapped the hitch over and I have towed using the automatic too. When I'm towing the atv I turn overdrive off (rpms in 3rd are similar to a manual in 5th) and when I have to climb a hill I put it in L range so it holds the gears longer and take it easy. I really want to add an aftermarket trans cooler for extra insurance as the factory cooler is just the top 4 inches of the a/c condenser. Other benefits are a place to put a cargo carrier or bike rack and when I moved the hitch/trailer came in handy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2009 SE. I pull a 4x8 utility trailer that empty is 450#. I don't load more than 400#. I drive slower and more defensively and only on dry days. I'm using a hidden hitch I bought online and installed myself.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All of this information is great. My wife and I have been talking and I'm looking to get a pop up camper for us for going up north with. We still have her 2011 ses (auto). So we are looking to use her focus for towing the pop up instead of my car the 16 1.0L. The plan is to go camping maybe every other weekend because the wife works every other Saturday so we would go on her off weekends. We also have a one year old daughter as well. SO for my pop up guys, how often do you tow your pop up and what is the most weight you had on the back without the car struggling. I'm trying to talk her into a small SUV (explorer sport, jeep escape etc or even a 92-95 Taurus, I'm a sucker for those cars) in case her focus can take the weight. We are about 20 minutes north of Detroit and are looking to be traveling around the state so there is not a real set back and forth distance. Thanks for reading this long explanation just trying to plan out accordingly so we are not setting our self's up for failure.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Late to the game here but ...

I wouldn't hesitate to tow with the 1.0L - remember, in Europe that car is rated to tow ~3000 pounds.

With that said, this is what I had in mine:
- Generator
- Refrigerator
- 3 deep cycle Group 27 batteries
- Hiking gear
- Food and water (6 or 7 gallons of water)
- Bicycle
- Cooking supplies
- Saws, splitting wedges
- Tools for car/camper
- Clothes and such

I'd definitely install a transmission cooler on it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts