Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Focus SE
I know the manual says that there should not be a trailer hitch put on the Focus. But I see where they sell hitches for the Focus. I am just wondering how many guys/gals installed hitches on their Focus and what was the maximum weight that they "safely" towed with their focus? I think that the major reason that Ford doesn't want the Focus to be used as a tow vehicle might just be the drum brakes on the rear wheels.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
It's not just the drum brakes, it's all the brakes.
They are, roughly rated, for the maximum GVW listed in the door. And the same goes for the suspension. Anything above that, your safety is going to be at risk.

You're going to get answers in the form of, I get by just fine and I haven't had any problems. But you're going to have to asses whether the roads near you are similar to those responses and what they tow.

For me, my life is worth more than anything I may want to tow. I have a truck for that. And if it's something larger than my truck is capable of, I call a friend for help.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't know about the mk2 foci, but the mk1 foci was 1000lbs MAX iirc, so that's like a dirtbike or a little wagon for the bettle/mini cooper or something like this.

You might get away with something like "minitears" witch are tear drop campers designed for use with a minicooper. Or even trailers designed for motorcycles (They have tear drops for Harley to!).

Honestly though I wouldn't trust anything over 800lbs being towed behind a focus, even 1000lbs is a stretch, these things just arn't trucks, spending sometime inspecting the suspension and the way it's set up might give you an idea.

It also depends on were you live, if you live in a mountainous region I wouldn't even try it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tow rating

It's not just the drum brakes, it's all the brakes.
They are, roughly rated, for the maximum GVW listed in the door. And the same goes for the suspension. Anything above that, your safety is going to be at risk.

You're going to get answers in the form of, I get by just fine and I haven't had any problems. But you're going to have to asses whether the roads near you are similar to those responses and what they tow.

For me, my life is worth more than anything I may want to tow. I have a truck for that. And if it's something larger than my truck is capable of, I call a friend for help.
I was only figuring on towing about 800 lbs, 300 for the trailer and about 500 for the motorcycle. But you are absolutely right. My son in-law and I hashed it over and we decided to use his Nissan Altima that has a pretty good tow rating. Thanks for your rapid reply!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pulled my trailer with motorcycle thousands of miles with mine. Six hundred pounds put together plus all my gear, a cooler and tools in the car. At speeds of over 80 at times and never felt there was any problem at all. Think of it as hauling around three of your 260 pound buddies. I mean you wouldnt think twice about that.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Recommendations are different in other countries, when this question came up more recently in the MkIII section someone posted the listing for capacity towing "caravans" with different engine options in the U.K..

Remember that you need 10% tongue weight for stability minimum, so a 1k lb. trailer has a min 100 lb. weight at the hitch. Adding too much weight in the trunk as well can make the tail heavier/lower than is good, as you loose front braking capability when loaded heavy at the rear (front wheels lock up easier).

1,000 lb. is reasonable for a car of this size as long as you remember those factors. Driving a car/trailer is definitely different than a car by itself, it won't stop nearly as well & steering needs to be smooth - avoiding sudden movements.

Should you notice any "sway" from the trailer after loading up, pull over right away to redistribute the weight. Without the right tongue weight mentioned earlier, that sway can rapidly increase to the point of loosing control of the vehicle combination.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I probably pulled max of about 700 lbs.
it was a full engine and brakes and axle. also had a set if race tires and tool box (not pictured).
pulled it 1000miles over the Rockies with no issues, except that the load on the rear end causes the tires to toe in, so I pretty much destroyed the tires.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Recommendations are different in other countries, when this question came up more recently in the MkIII section someone posted the listing for capacity towing "caravans" with different engine options in the U.K..

Remember that you need 10% tongue weight for stability minimum, so a 1k lb. trailer has a min 100 lb. weight at the hitch. Adding too much weight in the trunk as well can make the tail heavier/lower than is good, as you loose front braking capability when loaded heavy at the rear (front wheels lock up easier).

1,000 lb. is reasonable for a car of this size as long as you remember those factors. Driving a car/trailer is definitely different than a car by itself, it won't stop nearly as well & steering needs to be smooth - avoiding sudden movements.

Should you notice any "sway" from the trailer after loading up, pull over right away to redistribute the weight. Without the right tongue weight mentioned earlier, that sway can rapidly increase to the point of loosing control of the vehicle combination.
It is different in EU, my clio has a max tow capacity of 2500lbs! The thing is small as a ford fiesta rocking a 1.4 N/A gas engine hoping out 97hp and weighing about 400lbs less than an mk1 zx3 iirc. so that's... more than the car weighs by itself! That being said, the suspension isn't a toy on it nor the large front and rear brakes, mine was even equipped with a tow package from factory... I'm not sure I'd put 2500 lbs on it but... I'd definitely tow a small camper like a teardrop...

towing 2500 pounds breaked weight and ~1000 pounds unbraked weight with a fiesta sized car... silly french cars...

·
What do i put here?
8,343 Posts
this is TDCI focus putting in work lol

there is a guy on focaljet i forget his name atm.. but he races a minivan in autox.. pretty dope.. either way he towes his camper with his mk1 focus.. lol funniest thing ever.. zero issues...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Are those... mirrors on his mirrors? That's like... the best idea i've never even thought of.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
^^^ getting mirrors out wide enough for a look down the side of the "box" being towed helps a LOT. You're no longer blind until someone passes the trailer, not being able to see all that might be beside/behind it.

Still a huge blind spot behind the trailer, but no longer totally blind back there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Focus SE
I know the manual says that there should not be a trailer hitch put on the Focus. But I see where they sell hitches for the Focus. I am just wondering how many guys/gals installed hitches on their Focus and what was the maximum weight that they "safely" towed with their focus? I think that the major reason that Ford doesn't want the Focus to be used as a tow vehicle might just be the drum brakes on the rear wheels.
I added the class 1 hitch to mine. I was pretty concerned before I did it that the car would not be suitable. However, I have been towing a 5x8 utility trailer loaded up probably about 4-5 times a week and the car tows it perfectly. No concerns from me with stopping, or anything. I have the 1 liter 2015 focus with the manual trans, Not sure if I would try with an automatic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts