Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My throttle seems like it sticks via the pedal. I cleaned and checked it, it moves very smoothly. When I press the gas I have to push it about an inch before it accelerates, but it jolts like I'm jamming the gas real quick. Then when i let off the car hops like I let off the gas too fast. Any ideas? No codes. 03 zx3 zetec 5 speed.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sounds like the throttle body door is sticking. Mine is doing this now because I adjusted the stop screw and door positioning.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Lube the cable. If it doesn't work,

Your throttle body butterfly might be sticking.You can take a piece of the loop side of adhesive backed velcro and stick it to the point where set screw hits the TB bracket. This keeps it slightly open.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Also increases the idle even if by just a little. Also the cable is in a sheath, would need to take off and submerge in what ever lubricant and work the cable in and oout so as to get in inside.

Could clean the throttle body and the plate using plastic safe cleaners and an abrasive pad just don't scratch the hell out of the inside/plate.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Or could just try cleaning it with some Throttle body cleaner as it's probably dirty and gunked up making it stick. I would do this way before you modify the throttle in any way other than stock. Spray it down and also open it and take a rage and wipe the throat and throttle blade down with some of the throttle body cleaner. I have found that this will fix 99% of stick throttle bodies on new cars. They tend to get dirty from the PCV system vapors and such.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^Words of wisdom..............

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I probably should have mentioned. I clean the throttle body pretty much monthly, I've checked to see if it was sticking, it's not sticking at all. The pcv valve and hose is all new.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Air flow or throttle position sensor

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^No, that is not the issue here.

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
IMO, wrapping a rag around the interior throttle cable(Behind the pedal to prevent stains) and spraying WD-40 down the cable from the throttle body end might be the cure here. The MAF(air flow)would not cause it to stick. The TPS in itself should not cause it to stick without failing. So this leaves us with, the throttle cable is getting hung up, the butterfly on the throttle body is getting stuck or, the bearing on the throttle body is bad.

·
Registered
753 Posts
From what he has said, it isnt Sticking. Air flow as said was maybe it was as free flowing as it should be and he had to push throttle further to get more so as it could accelerate. As for tps, maybe it wasnt registering correctly and cause conflict between ecm and what driver wanted.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maf and everything intake side is good. I did check out huge throttle body, it feels perfect, the spring and all feels brand new. I'm wondering if maybe it's the cable sticking, like what was mentioned. Or the tps, having multiple stages, could just be malfunctioning in one stage? I'll start with the cable cleaning.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Might need two people to do the basic check of whether the throttle body crank moves with the throttle pedal.

There should be a slight amount of slack in the cable so the throttle isn't opened by engine movement at idle, but after that is taken up it should move instantly.

Confirm the TB works evenly with the pedal, then it's time to think about what else might be going on.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cleaned the cable, did some of the trick, but it seems there's excessive play in the cable. I was easily able to pull it out of the bracket it pops into by the throttle body.

·
Registered
17,502 Posts
There are no 'stages' in TPS, it works dead smoothly from the bottom all the way up.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nope... if the TPS voltage does not move smoothely with the opening and closing there is an issue with the TPS. That is one of the ways we test the TPS operation. If you see a void or hitch in the voltage as the TPS is moving it's bad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts