Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some jerkface jerkwad keyed my car. The gash is about 15-16 centimetres long (6-7 in), up to 1.5mm thick (1/16 in), and goes quite deep.

Here's a close up: http://i.imgur.com/IEEjtxU.jpg

Other than using the touch up paint (Magnetic Metallic, paint code J7), is there anything else I need to do to treat this? I'm going to wash my car so that the surface is clean and there's no foreign bits and pieces. Do I need to sand down the edges with something, apply a primer, or anything else?

Of course I'm going to pick up the paint from my dealership's Parts department, and I'm going to have them come check out the gash and let me know what they think I should do, but I thought to also check here first in case you had some great ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm no professional, but I'd probably sandbar it to get dirt out and just use touch up paint, unless you think it's worth sanding and repainting that area, which is really your call.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I recently touched up some similar scratches and rock chips. I applied the standard touch up paint then wet sanded it down with 2000 grit and buffed out the scratches with scratch remover / polish. I had varying success with it but even in the worst case it makes the touch up much less noticeable by the casual passerby.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I got a one that is almost 10" on the c-pillar from an a-hole and to properly fix it we had a $1200 estimate mostly because the whole panel needs to be resprayed and then the doors and such would have to be blended to look perfect again and the fact that it's a candy color that is a bit pricey.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a one that is almost 10" on the c-pillar from an a-hole and to properly fix it we had a $1200 estimate mostly because the whole panel needs to be resprayed and then the doors and such would have to be blended to look perfect again and the fact that it's a candy color that is a bit pricey.
:O :O :O

I'm not concerned about the looks, I don't really care if you can see that gash. I'm more concerned about covering it up so that it doesn't rust or otherwise get worse.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Claim it on your comprehensive insurance. Don't have comprehensive or have a high deductible? Add it/Lower it, wait three months and then make the claim. That's what I did when some idiot did something to my car. I have no friggin clue what it was, but it was a dent with a huge gash in the center. Looked like someone hit it with an axe. You won't even get any flack for that. That's clearly a key job.

Comprehensive claims NEVER affect your premiums btw.

Think it's wrong to do this? Screw them. We all pay out the friggin nose by law, then they want to stab everyone in the back when it's their turn to pay out. Screw em right in the pooper.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Claim it on your comprehensive insurance. Don't have comprehensive or have a high deductible? Add it/Lower it, wait three months and then make the claim. That's what I did when some idiot did something to my car. I have no friggin clue what it was, but it was a dent with a huge gash in the center. Looked like someone hit it with an axe. You won't even get any flack for that. That's clearly a key job.

Comprehensive claims NEVER affect your premiums btw.

Think it's wrong to do this? Screw them. We all pay out the friggin nose by law, then they want to stab everyone in the back when it's their turn to pay out. Screw em right in the pooper.
That's... actually not a bad idea! I do have comprehensive insurance. I can check to see if it's covered, even. I never think about these things, I'm glad you brought it up!

I know that my comprehensive coverage actually includes parking lot hit and runs, I think to a maximum number of occurrences. This keying might be covered by that?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just got my car back from a repair. Comprehensive claim, as someone ran over a ladder, it shattered, and it dented/scraped my rear door. I have a Tuxedo Black car, and they matched it PERFECTLY. They repainted the entire door. I'd definitely choose a comprehensive claim in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts