Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
My girlfriend has a 2000 Focus ZTS and I have no idea anything about it!
I'm for the most part a Volvo 850 guy and could build you one from the ground up but this is a whole new ball game for me.
Assuming it's not too much different!
Doing an oil change tomorrow for her and I'm wondering what else I should take a look at
I'm sure I'll be poking around the forums soon
Thanks!
Nick

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

Not the "tank" the Volvo's are, but with decent care they last just as well.

The ZTS is a good combo for the year as it came with the twin cam zetec & sway bars front & rear. MUCH better than a sedan from that year with the single cam "SPI" and only a small bar up front. Engine's much more durable & peppy without major faults, keep an eye on the thermostat housing for leakage is one of the minor ones.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great!
Thanks so much
I'll be doing a pretty big check up on the whole car later today and I'll keep the Tstat housing in mind

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
There's a regular list of potential problems, but like with most such lists it's only applicable when you run into an issue. Forum helps with info. on what to check should you run into a problem, a few oddities like checking the coil for cracks when it starts missing are a bit different & not on the std. list of checks.

The timing belt is good for 100,000 and is often forgotten about, not the "urgent" item it is on an SVT version since the std. zetec doesn't bend valves every time it breaks like the SVT version does.

Fuel filter is hidden underneath by the fuel tank, something to peek at to see if it's been done & put on the list for the future.

Pretty normal past that, if it's a stick don't go looking for a separate reservoir as it's fed from the brake fluid res..

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Check the ignition lock cylinder IMMEDIATELY. If you have the old version, then you need to make plans to change it ASAP. Fords require the key to be and turning in order to remove the ignition lock cylinder, and the potential problem is that the lock cylinder will lock up and not turn. If that happens, the lock cylinder must be drilled out, and there is a chance that the steering column could be damaged. There are many threads on this.

This is the bad one that must be changed ASAP:

This is the good one that you'll never have to worry about.

Here is the thread if you need an explanation.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121739

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
The 05+ Focis are much easier to change oil on the Duratec engine than the Zetec. In Mass, 03-04 Focis have Duratec PZEV engines. Volvo 850s won't be around forever since they haven't been made since '97. 05+ Focis will not have ignition lock cylinder problems. It is not the same thing as GM's problem, the Ford won't start. GM's would shut off while driving. You will hear thunking at low speeds over uneven pavement. That's the ball joint style sway bar end links. Those seem to never survive 50k miles, but even though you hear clunking. it's not completely bad due to the design. 00-01.5 have different AC designs. If you pop your head under the passenger fender well and see an accumulator with a snap ring on the condenser side- you're ok. For some funky reason, Ford thought that the accumulator would never need to be changed, and that was changed in 01.5 MY. Any repair needing a new accumulator will require about $400 in parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts