Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hate to be "that guy"....... BUT, I'm curious, does everyone have pics and damage estimates of their totaled mk3's? Again......I hate being "that guy" but someone had to ask right?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I suggest heading over to Google, and click on the 'images' icon.
Then type in "Ford Focus crash"
And you get endless rather gory crash pics...
The third with a yellow Foci I doubt the driver could have survived.
Right in the second row a Focus split in half.. The back half is a 100ft behind the front half.. etc... etc..
I am certain you could refine the search to 'color' or maybe year..
Even model.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but I cant ask google images "what happened and was everyone okay?" I have a newborn to tote around and I want to make sure that he wont be squished if I get hit by a bicycle. My son's safety is completely worth trading my car if necessary. Peace of mind is needed to help me sleep [sleeping]

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I'll have to find the pics later, but I had someone turn in front of me and I t-boned them at 45mph and other than some typical car crash soreness and some airbag burns I walked away fine. The car was totaled, major frame damage, drivetrain damage, broken windshield from the impact, etc. They're very safe cars.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just keep finding myself looking at Fusions, and then I see the payment and I wanna die, but if everything points to "good outlooks" then I'm keeping Ramona

·
Registered
154 Posts
We bought our car the day before my daughter was due. Its a 5/4 star crash rating car so that's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ 2011 Data, different Model entirely.

Reported estimates look a little strange, and it's extrapolated from different data sets - note the "exposure" column for the sample size, and the wide range of "95% confidence" numbers.

Some are obviously the multi-year numbers & others the single year numbers. Close to three times the number of Civics vs. Focus would imply that they used more years for the Civic. (as noted in the table)

I don't like seeing estimates masquerading as solid data (even if mentioned in the fine print).

·
Registered
739 Posts
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/driver-death-rates. The focus has a lot more fatalities per measure than say, the Prius, but as RyanFromSC said, the crash rating is going to be more informative. Also, putting your kid in the middle if the back seat will do a hell of a lot more for them than buying a Prius...
Those numbers are for the Mk2. The Mk3 is quite a step up in terms of safety.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, the numbers are for the mk2 but for the models on the list that are still sold it's a valid comparator.

Also, the comments about the crash rating and middle seat placement hold true.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I remember that a tree fell on a member's MK3 and he was fine.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nothing against your comments mcknatz, I'm just a long time skeptic when it comes to the IIHS.

Motorcycle background has a lot to do with it, they're notably more political than factual in that arena. Note:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...iVUXxnsSceRy3ow&bvm=bv.85076809,d.eXY&cad=rja for one commentary alone.

They tend to push an agenda & massage numbers to fit, making all their reports somewhat questionable.

When I look at the comments on that "study" and note comments on "statistically adjusting for age, location, etc." it makes one wonder just what kind of adjustments were made.

It's like the proverbial "just a little pregnant", "just a little questionable" isn't good for an organization that CLAIMS to be objective.

I was happy when the insurance companies that help fund them didn't all believe their listing of "Sport Bikes" that deserve higher rates for being dangerous. My Honda Gold Wing Touring Bike was one of a number on the list that hardly deserved that kind of rating. Actual rates give a discount instead of a surcharge with most companies, as the loss ratio is quite low for touring bikes.

How does "age" figure into a deaths per million owner years in their results?

Is it skewed on assumptions of what demographic drives a particular vehicle?

And how does that relate to the safety of the vehicle itself?

No answers raises a LOT of questions on their methodology.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'll have to find the pics later, but I had someone turn in front of me and I t-boned them at 45mph and other than some typical car crash soreness and some airbag burns I walked away fine. The car was totaled, major frame damage, drivetrain damage, broken windshield from the impact, etc. They're very safe cars.
The mustang?? I remember that, major damage to both vehicles and you and the girlfriend were ok... focus can take a hit, that one of the factors why we got ours..5 year old on board

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey sailor (sounds kinda dirty when I say it that way.... )

Anyway, I'm right there with you regarding any stats presented without methodology.

They also made some understandable, but not entirely useful compromises in this study (they only counted crashes with driver fatalities). That said we've gotta start somewhere. :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I hear ya.

Dealing with what we have there, the problem I see is that the MkII focus sold here that year ('10-'11) was an old design (we never got the worldwide MkII).

From personal experience with the Civic from '08-'11 that was compared, that car is a LOT more like the current MkIII for safety features/design. Still "in between" but it had multiple air bags including side curtains.

MkIII is another step ahead of that, basically two generations ahead of the MkII sold here.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
One feature left out of death statistics is seatbelts. Take away ALL not wearing seatbelt fatalities.. Then count.
Since more than 50% of all car accident fatalities are not wearing seatbelts, it would also change the results..
And my statistics are pulled out of my ass if you want to know [strongman]

It is not the car design failure if fools die due to not wearing seatbelts...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
At one time in the late 70's, no-one had yet been killed while wearing a seat belt.

Eventually it had to happen, but it still is the single best thing in your favor if the worst happens.

Still miss having a stock lap belt that can be tightened.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just wrecked and totaled mine last week. The damage doesn't look that bad, i was surprised it was totaled. The insurance company said it was almost $10k in repairs including labor. And consisted of the wheel and tire, the brake rotor, the axle, the tie rods, the lower A arm, the steering linkage, the driver front fender and possibly the driver door skin, as well as the 3 airbags on the drivers side and any associated trim panels. Heres a link to my thread. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528194

1 - 19 of 19 Posts