Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 was hit pretty hard in a hail storm and will most likely be totaled. I haven't heard back from my insurance company yet, but the adjuster was confident they'll total it.

Which is a shame because it only has ~35k miles on it and was pretty great before the storm.

So I'm thinking about buying it back from my insurance company depending on the cost. It will cost more in bondo than it is worth to get it looking good again and I'll never be happy with a car that is mostly body filler.

So my point is this: what could I expect if I attempt to part it out? I've parted out older cars (mostly '60s Falcons) with a fair amount of success but they are a completely different animal than a new-ish car. Pretty much everything is great except the body so there is a lot of salvageable material.

Advice? Opinions?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Unless you have a good friend that does paintless dent removal for fair pricing. Those guys are amazing at what they can make go away.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
If its totalled.....move on. The only way to correctly repair it, is panel replacements. Earlier cars that you mentioned is different.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had a car "totalled" by hail damage, plus a tree branch falling on the windshield. My insurance company paid it out, less the buyback amount. I kept the car, put a new windshield in it, and they let me keep driving it another couple of years while I looked for another car to buy. The car didn't look near as nice of course, but the hail damage didn't affect the driveline any, so they were still satisfied that it was safe to operate on the roads (So long as I replaced the windshield.) I didn't have to register it as written off, but they pulled my comprehensive coverage until I bought another car.

That was 15 years ago, and of course your insurance company might not offer anything like that. It might still make for a good first car for a young driver. (A topic near my heart, since my son will be 16 next year.)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Agree with SupraGuy. If your 35K mile car is otherwise solid, I'd consider taking the insurance check and driving the car for a few more years. See if the $ numbers work for you, but I'd be okay driving it dinged up. Insurance would be cheaper since you won't need full coverage.

·
Registered
159 Posts
... I'd consider taking the insurance check and driving the car for a few more years. See if the $ numbers work for you, but I'd be okay driving it dinged up. Insurance would be cheaper since you won't need full coverage.
I've done that before, took a check after a fender bender. I just used a hammer to bang the fender, hood and bumper back into place, plus replaced one headlight :).

A word of caution on doing this... Depending on your insurance you might just be taking a loan basically. When I did it we had Liberty Mutual, no accident forgiveness back then. So we took the check, maybe $2,000, but our rates went up because of it for a few years. I never did the math but I suspect I ended up paying them back the 2k, maybe a little more :(.

·
Registered
919 Posts
word of caution on doing this... Depending on your insurance you might just be taking a loan basically. When I did it we had Liberty Mutual, no accident forgiveness back then. So we took the check, maybe $2,000, but our rates went up because of it for a few years. I never did the math but I suspect I ended up paying them back the 2k, maybe a little more :(.
The OP's insurance SHOULDN'T go up due to hailstorm damage. Key word is shouldn't, but you may be right.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The OP's insurance SHOULDN'T go up due to hailstorm damage. Key word is shouldn't, but you may be right.
Correct hail damage is under comprehensive no fault of your own. If your insurance company ever goes up on you just say goodbye and go somewhere else, there's plenty to choose from.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I haven't had collision insurance in the last 50 years, and so far I'm way ahead. Usually don't have comprehensive, either.

All those dents make it go faster anyhow, like the dimples on a golf ball.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts