Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well...

This all went down a while ago, but I never got around to posting anything. Long story short, I hit a couple of beastly pot holes while in Illinois that rendered my car useless. AAA towed me home (luckily for free...I was just inside the 100 mile limit), and after it got moved to a friends shop, the insurance adjuster totalled it.

I really don't think it should have been declared a total loss (they managed to find something like $4k in repairs), and I did fight for my opinion, but I'm not too upset. As it turns out, Wisconsin law states that only cars that are seven years old and newer receive "salvage" titles when declared a total loss. My SVT is an '03, making it eight years old...leaving my title clean.

Obviously, I bought the car back. Right now the car is back on the ground (new control arm, along with new wheel bearings while I was in there), and ready to be aligned.

Oh...and seeing as my bumper covers are both toast, I picked up a "facelift" courtesy of eBay UK....

A couple pics are below. I'll upload a few more once I find my camera's charger.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Roads are getting terrible, its too bad we dont take better care of them, good to see you fixing it up!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah. She's all mine. I'm actually pretty alright with the way things worked out. The insurance check was enough to cover my beater (picked up a 98' Ranger 4-banger with the 5-speed), as well as leave me enough left over to fix the car (including Euro bumpers).

I was pissed when it all happened, but now my SVT doesn't have to be my daily any more, which is exciting.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Just curious what are insurance company's valuing our car at nowa days? If you dont mind me asking

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not enough. I don't recall the exact value, but I fought for every penny I got. The sheet of "comparable" vehicles on which they based the value contained precisely zero SVT's. They stated that their comparison vehicles had similar features (that being four cylinders, and *some* even with a manual transmission), and that was enough to create a value.

I'll take a look at my email correspondence with the insurance company and see what the "value" of the car was before deducting all sorts of things (prior damage, deductible, etc.).

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Oh wow.. Some ppl get lucky like my sister was in a wreck in an 01 accord and they valued that thing at 9 grand... she only paid 7 for it lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good for you fighting for fair SVT value. Weird some companies won't pay enough, and others pay way too much--my friend just got $18K for his older 4Runner with over 200K miles!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
w0000t.

Car is drivable again. Took it out for a spin today after freeing the stuck rear calipers.

Now it's on to the cosmetics...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally had some more free time recently to work on the SVT. Here she is as of today:

As you can see, I've got the passenger side door handle off, as it seems to have broken itself by simply being not used for a year. Not sure how that works, but the latch is useless now (you can close the latch by hand, but can then just pry it back open...not so safe, considering it's supposed to hold the door shut...). Also, it really bothers me that the vast majority of the locking mechanism is plastic...but what can you do...

Anyway, I still have to prep my Euro bumpers, find a new fender and get the paint work done. Oh, and I want to do the timing belt (and some other misc. stuff) before it goes back on the road for good.

Sure feels good to start getting it back to how it belongs.

Oh, and here's one more pic...just gotta get a fuel pump for the MG and she's ready for Summer too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts