Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to replace the brake system on my 2006 ZX4 SES (non-ABS) with those from my totaled 2003 SVT. There are many "how to" threads for this procedure but none of them include swapping over the ABS system.

I WANT the ABS and have all the components so why not? I have heard that this includes electronics included in the ECU. I do know that there are sensor rings at each wheel which probably feed back into the ECU [scratch]

There must be a way!!! After all, ABS was an option on my SES... [poke]

·
Registered
658 Posts
Lol, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out for my zx3, is if I can add ABS. hopefully one of us can figure it out

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that traction control adds another whole complex layer to this picture and I don't want it. Just "simple" SVT tech 4WABS. This shouldn't involve the ECU at all.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Probably the hardest near impossible mod you can do. The ABS cars have a Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) with a ABS/TCS module bolted on to it, instead of the "valve" the non abs cars have. The ABS module has a big harness going to it that's probably not tucked away and waiting in a non-abs car.

The HCU looks like it has a lot more plumbing going to it than the non-abs valve; there's different master cylinders too. Also the ABS module part numbers are different with engines/years, (Duratecs and Zetecs have different numbers) that I don't think are aren't compatible. I had to make sure I was putting the correct year range/engine module in my car when I swapped modules. I'm not sure, but I think there is some communication between the ECU and ABS/TCS module since people tune out TCS through the OBDII port.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Probably the hardest near impossible mod you can do. The ABS cars have a Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) with a ABS/TCS module bolted on to it, instead of the "valve" the non abs cars have. The ABS module has a big harness going to it that's probably not tucked away and waiting in a non-abs car.

The HCU looks like it has a lot more plumbing going to it than the non-abs valve; there's different master cylinders too. Also the ABS module part numbers are different with engines/years, (Duratecs and Zetecs have different numbers) that I don't think are aren't compatible. I had to make sure I was putting the correct year range/engine module in my car when I swapped modules. I'm not sure, but I think there is some communication between the ECU and ABS/TCS module since people tune out TCS through the OBDII port.

Not my thread, but since I was sort of interested in this too, Id like to say thanks for the useful information. I gave you some rep for the info you provided on the subject. Thanks man.

P.S., sorry if it seems I hi-jacked a thread, as it wasnt intentional if taken that way.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I have full SVT brakes on my 07 (non-ABS car) and everything works just fine without the ABS. Since you already do not have ABS, you should be used to operating the car without. Everything is still the same except for improved braking from the larger brakes.

Read up on thresh hold braking. Spend some time on a private road working out the pedal feel and practice stopping at the limits. Train yourself to not just blindly mash the brake pedal to the floor and you can get some really good results. A lot of it has to do with pedal feel, get used to how your car reacts and you will be pretty well off.

http://www.drivingfast.net/track/threshold-braking.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts