Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy`s need a little help.
I found a write up by Pete illinipo. Hes done a few Torsen installs. He said the preload measurement is .013
I installed the diff race on the VSS side with out the shim. Torqued the cases together and measured the space between the race and the seat of the case. It measured .048 So by my math .048 + .013 preload is .061
My shim measured .066 that would give me a preload of .018
I called Steve at Tousley, Ford doesnt make the shim kit any more.
So what do you think. Is .005 more preload gonna cause me any trouble ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
You could wet sand .005" off the back side of the bearing seat. It should not take much effort and you would be there. Use 300-600grit sand paper mounted on plate glass or a flat machined surface plate. Apply even pressure and if you take your time spin it 180 degrees every 50 strokes it should come off straight. I have done this with oil pumps and connecting rods that were off slightly. Parts cleaner works well as a lube.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could wet sand .005" off the back side of the bearing seat. It should not take much effort and you would be there. Use 300-600grit sand paper mounted on plate glass or a flat machined surface plate. Apply even pressure and if you take your time spin it 180 degrees every 50 strokes it should come off straight. I have done this with oil pumps and connecting rods that were off slightly. Parts cleaner works well as a lube.
Good idea, but I think it will be hard getting down in the recess. I wonder if a machine shop could shave the shim .005 ?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
A machine shop will do it. I had a similar issue awhile back.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good idea, but I think it will be hard getting down in the recess. I wonder if a machine shop could shave the shim .005 ?
The back of the bearing race 133 (cup) that is against the shim is flat not sure what you thought I was talking about.

You only need .005" start with light pressure and see how much it takes to remove some of the .005" you need. Carefully take off what you need I think that is the ticket for your particular issue.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK , You mean the back side of the race itself ? I thought you meant the recess that the race sets in , in the trans housing. Thats a great idea. Thanks, I think that would be the easiest.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes exactly! Sorry it wasn't clear. I guess a picture helps explain things a bit better. You should be good to go with that and back together in no time. Good luck.
Paul
[thumb]

·
Registered
140 Posts
did you watch the youtube video of him doing it to a getrag? where did you find the write up for MTX75? I'm gonna be doing this myself and wanna make sure i do it correct. i watched the video of him doing it on the getrag and it seems simple enough just wanna know the differences in the MTX75.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you watch the youtube video of him doing it to a getrag? where did you find the write up for MTX75? I'm gonna be doing this myself and wanna make sure i do it correct. i watched the video of him doing it on the getrag and it seems simple enough just wanna know the differences in the MTX75.
Yes I watched the video for the SVT. I have the link on my computer at home. I will get it for you on Monday. And it was very easy..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts