Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
hi,

i want to go FI on my svt focus.
so my question is, what kind of differential is the better one ?

the torsen or the quaife ???
any experiences ???

thanks a lot

btw: sorry for mistakes in language [dunno]

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
Quaife is the best but very costly now , the torson will do the job just as good you just dont have the lifetime warranty but I havent seen one break yet

Tom

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
torsen will work fine most of us have them and have had no problems

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Its hard to justify the additional cost of a quaife when the rate of failures of the torsen is as low as it is, virtually non existant....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Everyone is comparing the two main LSD options (Torsen and Quaife) in reliability and cost only (basically in terms of bang for the buck). This is obviously very important. However, given the much higher cost of the Quaife, I'd assume that this costlier LSD would have better performance than the Torsen. So, my questions are:

Why is the Quaife more expensive?
Is it better than the Torsen, and if so....why?

I'd LOVE to buy an LSD. If I had the extra cash to buy a Quaife, why would I do so, compared to the Torsen?

Cheers, Shane

·
Registered
626 Posts
from what ive read, the quiafe is a gear driven lsd unlike the torsen which is a clutch plate like lsd.... dunno what that really means but clutches wear out and gears dont really...

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
from what ive read, the quiafe is a gear driven lsd unlike the torsen which is a clutch plate like lsd.... dunno what that really means but clutches wear out and gears dont really...
Wrong they are both gear type automatic torque biasing differentials (ATB). As far as I can tell they both use an "Equvex" parallel axis helical gearset.

NEITHER of them are limited slip differentials (LSD)!!!!

quaife is more expensive because they like to make money, and have a lifetime warranty, including race applications.

I dont want to see any posts about bias ratio in here, because NOBODY has confirmed with the manufacturers what the maximum torque bias of each diff is. Matterfact i think i might make the rounds today to find out.

yes you have to split the case to change the diff.

·
Registered
404 Posts
yea thats why my torsen is still sitting in the box, saved up to by it now saving up to install it hahaha.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wrong they are both gear type automatic torque biasing differentials (ATB). As far as I can tell they both use an "Equvex" parallel axis helical gearset.

NEITHER of them are limited slip differentials (LSD)!!!!

quaife is more expensive because they like to make money, and have a lifetime warranty, including race applications.

I dont want to see any posts about bias ratio in here, because NOBODY has confirmed with the manufacturers what the maximum torque bias of each diff is. Matterfact i think i might make the rounds today to find out.

yes you have to split the case to change the diff.

thank you for that...
i knew the quiafe was gear driven, thought i read somewhere the torsen wasnt.

·
Registered
538 Posts
revive ye olde thread :) You don't need any existing parts for this add on do you?
Is it a drop in? My diff is destroyed, hopefully the tranny survived. If so i will hopefully find a deal on a lsd for my mtx75

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
you need new bearings and a new speed sensor gear.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts