Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about before but I'm new to the idea of putting an LSD in a FWD car. Which do y'all recommend? The car is going to be used for stage rally and so I like the idea of the warranty on the Quafie but I've been thinking about going with Torsen for price reasons. Are they okay to buy used and if not where would you buy them? Everywhere I've seen seems to be out of stock.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know this has been talked about before but I'm new to the idea of putting an LSD in a FWD car. Which do y'all recommend? The car is going to be used for stage rally and so I like the idea of the warranty on the Quafie but I've been thinking about going with Torsen for price reasons. Are they okay to buy used and if not where would you buy them? Everywhere I've seen seems to be out of stock.
I've got my eye on the Wavetrack LSD, which is the newest design going. The SVTF/ST170 uses the same part # as the mini cooper. I think there may be a write-up/test on it in this forum if you search. The Wavetrack is the only LSD that doesn't lose power if/when you get a wheel in the air or encounter extreme circumstances that the other two fail to put down the power in. BONUS: It has a lifetime warranty! Oh, and the Wavetrack is in stock and readily available at several online retailers/reputable shops.

Best, and have fun!

·
Registered
56 Posts
My last name is Greenfield also, lol, but I bought my SVTF new in 2003. It has 118K miles on the clock and I'm getting close to first clutch replacement, and that's when I'm going to install the Wavetrack LSD, replace worn CV axles...etc. Recently shifting was getting notchy and imprecise, so changed fluid out in the Getrag unit to Mobil 1 Synthetic 15w50, as per Tom-the-tune-man recommends in this forum, and it smoothed it right out...best it's ever felt, and I've changed the fluid prior on this car too. Don't ignore the easy stuff, like this (and it was cheap too!) that makes this car sooooo much better to drive.

·
FF Affiliate
30,600 Posts
The Wavetrack is the only LSD that doesn't lose power if/when you get a wheel in the air or encounter extreme circumstances that the other two fail to put down the power in. BONUS: It has a lifetime warranty!
The Kaaz LSD does as well ???

Tom

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Kaaz LSD does as well ???

Tom
Not familiar with the Kaaz LSD brand, but I see it's clutch plate type LSD, whereas the Wavetrac is a gear driven type LSD with patented internals allowing it to function even through transitions on/off throttle and in zero-load scenarios. It says you can also customize the Wavetrac, if desired, to suit specific performance goals (for all you serious racers out there who feel the need to 'tweak things'). Best of all it requires no maintenance or rebuilds and, get this; "Autotech Driveline warrants each new Wavetrac® Differential against defects in manufacture, material, workmanship, and wear-out when used in the vehicle application for which it was originally designed, on any motor vehicle, under any and all operating conditions, including racing, for as long as the original purchaser or any subsequent purchaser owns the differential."

I'm a serious driver, but not a racer, so I can't speak to that aspect, but I'm personally going with the latest tech-driven limited-slip device that's backed by a solid guarantee that it will last the life of the car without needing any maintenance other than normal fluid changes and use of the appropriate fluid.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did see the Torsen can be had for cheap compared to the Quaife, Wavetrac, Kaaz...etc., if you can find one, but the downside is the age of the design, the 'feel' and how it impacts your steering (from what I've read it's very abrupt engagement and impacts steering accuracy. It's old-school for sure, but that's not always a good thing :).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not familiar with the Kaaz LSD brand, but I see it's clutch plate type LSD, whereas the Wavetrac is a gear driven type LSD with patented internals allowing it to function even through transitions on/off throttle and in zero-load scenarios. It says you can also customize the Wavetrac, if desired, to suit specific performance goals (for all you serious racers out there who feel the need to 'tweak things'). Best of all it requires no maintenance or rebuilds and, get this; "Autotech Driveline warrants each new Wavetrac® Differential against defects in manufacture, material, workmanship, and wear-out when used in the vehicle application for which it was originally designed, on any motor vehicle, under any and all operating conditions, including racing, for as long as the original purchaser or any subsequent purchaser owns the differential."

I'm a serious driver, but not a racer, so I can't speak to that aspect, but I'm personally going with the latest tech-driven limited-slip device that's backed by a solid guarantee that it will last the life of the car without needing any maintenance other than normal fluid changes and use of the appropriate fluid.
Where do you plan on purchasing it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Wave Trac part # for SVTF (2002-2004 SVT) is 56.309.190WK and I think it's good to look up online to see what shops may be close to you and/or find the best pricing.
I've had good experiences ordering parts on CARID.com. Don't forget to order new axle-shaft seals and get the appropriate fluid...they recommend the Motul 300 as an upgraded fluid (read the literature), or to use the factory fluid (Motul is a great oil choice; there are some they specifically say Do Not Use), and check your driveline for wear/damage issues prior to undertaking this...it's all got to come apart for this to go in, so you want to fix any problem issues while you are at it...do it once, do it right! BTW, there are instructions for installing an LSD in the SVTF within the forums here.

OK, so several sites offer Wave Trac # 56.309.190WK today for $975 and include free shipping and/or no tax, so compare for best perks ($975 @ Vivid Racing, CARID.com, Horsepower Freaks). FSWERKS has it listed for $1000, and ECS Tuning lists for $1040. Many of these online shops will match pricing on the same item, and some have rewards/discount programs that may give you discount code on purchases, like ECS Tuning possibly...never hurts to try for a deal:)...only suckers pay full retail. You can find these on Ebay too, but you might not get the warranty coverage that way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
BTW, if you are going to replace your clutch at the same time, CFM has a great deal on the complete, upgraded OEM, LUK replacement clutch kit for only $425. It includes the larger diameter/upgraded clutch, new dual-mass flywheel, slave cylinder, alignment tool...well, everything you need really. (www.c-f-m.com) They still stock a few goodies for the SVTF model. The OEM clutch has lasted through 17 years of abuse and outlasted my son (a new driver) so I feel pretty good about getting the upgraded version of it at a really awesome price compared to what else is out there. I think Ford charges in the range of $1000-1200 for the same exact OEM kit, just sayin' :).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, if you are going to replace your clutch at the same time, CFM has a great deal on the complete, upgraded OEM, LUK replacement clutch kit for only $425. It includes the larger diameter/upgraded clutch, new dual-mass flywheel, slave cylinder, alignment tool...well, everything you need really. (www.c-f-m.com) They still stock a few goodies for the SVTF model. The OEM clutch has lasted through 17 years of abuse and outlasted my son (a new driver) so I feel pretty good about getting the upgraded version of it at a really awesome price compared to what else is out there. I think Ford charges in the range of $1000-1200 for the same exact OEM kit, just sayin' :).
Thank you for your pointers I really appreciate it. I'm planing on going with a stage 3 clutch masters clutch and aluminum fly wheel hopefully they all work together in harmony to get the sort of wheel response I'm looking for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts