Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i was wondering how valid this is, it was a 1-2nd pull on a really snow covered street. in previous runs with dry roads i made a max of 175 whp using this app doing a 3-4th gear pull. all the times i used this i had it set to measure hp using my car's obd2 and not the gps measurement. i will assume the obd2 can calculate engine hp and not whp but maybe the tcm is relaying that info to the obd2. the setup im using does not allow me to read the tcm. has any one used this app and compared it to a dyno run they have done with their car? i was going to upload the video but coudnt find where it was stored in my phone. i have it set to save to my phone but the only place i found it was in the track record app so i took a screen shot of the video.

NOTE: if this is actually engine hp, lets consider a 15% drive train power loss
218.1 engine hp = 185.4 whp
175 engine hp= 148.75 whp (comparable to stock dyno pulls)

CAR SET UP:
-12 focus sel dct transmission
-spectre blue oiled air filter
-87 octane fuel
-57,942 miles

DEVICES USED FOR MEASURMENT:
-LG NEXUS 5 PHONE
-TORQUE APP w/ TRACK RECORDER
- MINI ELM 327 blue tooth obd2 reader ($10 on ebay)

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Nope not even close to being right, stock the car at the crankshaft is rated at 160 HP and has been shown to be putting around 148 HP to the wheels, just an oiled filter would not make close to 60 additional HP in and of itself. The estimated power is way off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear where your coming from, in my post where I did a 15% power train loss calculation, it averaged 148.5. That was on a dry road with a 3rd to 4th pull. The pictures posted above were done with a 1st to second pull on a snow covered road. So as you said in your post around 148 to the wheels on a stocker, that's what I got with a 15% power loss calculation. I would love to actually strap to a dyno but I'm not sure if there are any even located with in a hundred miles of me

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's one question, as acceleration vs. weight is one way it could estimate power.

O.P. was getting reasonable numbers previously, so I'll blame this on another problem with the data.

Since it wasn't hooked to a GPS to measure speed, and the "pull" was mentioned as 1-2 on a snow covered street, the bad data seems pretty simple IMHO.

Spin the wheels up fast as they slip on the snow & it looks to the computer as if you'd achieved that speed quite rapidly - calculation would assume a lot of power was used to accomplish that speed so rapidly. Try it on Ice for some great numbers now you know how it's doing the figuring.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's one question, as acceleration vs. weight is one way it could estimate power.

O.P. was getting reasonable numbers previously, so I'll blame this on another problem with the data.

Since it wasn't hooked to a GPS to measure speed, and the "pull" was mentioned as 1-2 on a snow covered street, the bad data seems pretty simple IMHO.

Spin the wheels up fast as they slip on the snow & it looks to the computer as if you'd achieved that speed quite rapidly - calculation would assume a lot of power was used to accomplish that speed so rapidly. Try it on Ice for some great numbers now you know how it's doing the figuring.

Totally glazed over that, that is likely why it's so far off lol.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
MAF reading x 10 gives a closer estimate than that did,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I did set up the weight using the factory vehicle weight plus my weight figured in. I didn't use the GPS option for the measurements, I selected every thing for obd2 only. I know the 208whp figure is a joke but my previous runs with this app on dry roads doing a 3-4th pull came out to be what to expect from a stock focus on a dyno after factoring in 15% power train loss. I'm sure its not 100% accurate as nothing can be but if anyone has dyno numbers and wants to do a comparison by using this app please do so. You can use the free or paid version of the app, either one will work with the track recorder app.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Nothing beat the precision of a real dyno (properly calibrated tho) [;)]

The rest like many OBD2 software who does drag strip/dyno...

It's crap and should not be used unless for entertainment purpose!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts