Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2012 Titanium with the handling package.
I just swapped out the summer wheels/tires for a set of General Altimax Arctics (16") for winter.

SInce the installation of these wheels/tires, whenever I'm accelerating moderately hard, it feels like it's torque steering me to the right quite noticeably.
For those that think it might be the crown of the road or slope of the road, it's not. That's quite noticeable with the low profile tires and something I'm used to. I can live with that for the better handling.

SO, for the rest of you that have the Handling package, and have installed winter tires, have you experienced similar behavior?
I don't have another benchmark to compare it to (e.g. stock 16" or 17" wheels/tires that come on the other trim levels)
I didn't notice this with the Michelin Pilots mounted on the stock 18" wheels before changing to this wheel/tire combination.

Of note, the car goes perfectly straight down the road at a steady speed, so I don't think we're dealing with an alignment problem.
Car has 30,000 miles on it, of which 13,000 were put on by me in the past 5 months so I'm pretty in tune with how it typically handles.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have a 2013 Ti stock. In the summer, with my 17", I have no torque steer at all. In the winter when I install my 15" (size is the same as 17"... it's minus 2 size), I have a small torque steer... to the right also.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You feel torque steer when one tire loses traction before the other does. Winter tires are always going to have worse traction on dry pavement than summer or M+S tires, so it would make sense that torque steer would be noticeable sooner.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Generally I don't notice the torque steer, but I will when accelerating uphill from a stop or anytime the front wheels get a bit unloaded, I notice it the more throttle I use. Happens on my Continental all seasons as well as my winter tires. Normal, just a quirk of FWD vehicles.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
No torque steer for me. Under a heavy throttle in a turn, I find I have to unwind the wheel.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Didn't notice any with my SE. Getting some during full throttle lane changes in the st.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have these same tires on 16" Volvo wheels... I do have some torque steer on the smaller (and much lighter) wheels and tires than I have with the 18" wheels as part of the handling package. It makes sense perhaps, there is a lot less contact area and those tires are very soft compared to the Pilot Sports on the 18" wheels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I run stock SEL 16" wheels and Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires in the SEL's stock size of 215/55-R16 93H. I find I get torque steer just about any time I floor the throttle, but especially when the wheels are turned far right or left. It did the same thing on the stock Continental ContiProContact tires that were on the car when I bought it. Blame the unequal-length drive shafts and steering geometry.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I run stock SEL 16" wheels and Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires in the SEL's stock size of 215/55-R16 93H. I find I get torque steer just about any time I floor the throttle, but especially when the wheels are turned far right or left. It did the same thing on the stock Continental ContiProContact tires that were on the car when I bought it. Blame the unequal-length drive shafts and steering geometry.
^ this x1000!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Have you looked under your car, to see how the axles are designed? You have a carrier bearing= meaning the axles measure the same distance, unlike the earlier vehicles w/o a carrier bearing. Whats wrong w/ the steering geometry?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
One question though ... Why do we still feel it with EPAS???

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Open diff... Throw torsen at it...
After looking for the Torsen diff... that's gonna be weird with the torque vectoring control on the mk3 focus.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
After looking for the Torsen diff... that's gonna be weird with the torque vectoring control on the mk3 focus.
Why? Torsen diff is mechanical & the tvc is electronic nannie... I like mechancinal grip vs the electronic in the foci.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Why? Torsen diff is mechanical & the tvc is electronic nannie... I like mechancinal grip vs the electronic in the foci.
I mean Torsen LSD is not made to be nannied with the brake controlled torque vectoring of the focus... something funny could happen here...

Having two torque control system at the same time...what could go wrong...

There is no way to disable electronic TVC on the focus for now... maybe unless pulling somes fuses but that would create a Christmas tree lights on the cluster.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
One question though ... Why do we still feel it with EPAS???
Because it's electric assist, not controlled.

The steering would probably feel awful if it was entirely controlled by the EPAS system, you wouldn't feel the road at all. The current system just takes the place of hydraulic steering assist, meaning you have to physically move the entire assembly, the EPAS is just making it easier to do so.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I just leave the t/c on & it doesn't hardly kick in at all vs before I installed a torsen the t/c kicked in a lot.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
A locking differential is no different 95% of the time than an open differential like on the Focus.
The ONE TIME you WILL feel the difference is if one wheel is slipping a lot (which makes the diff 'lock' and feed power to both wheels equally)
Once the differential locks you have good power to both wheels..
Mainly on hard takeoff from a stop..or in slippery conditions.
I LOVED the Torsen diff on my SVT Contour. One wheel would spin when trying to take off hard from a stop.. then the lock up and POW the car would bolt forward like an explosive monster. (leaving rubber tracks from both wheels.. [clap]

Of any not included option, the option of a good locking differential (Quaif or Torsen) is the #1 thing missing from the factory ST.
The bummer of labor cost really hurts adding a limited slip diff to a new car.. Plus who wants to tear apart a brand new car?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
A locking differential is no different 95% of the time than an open differential like on the Focus.
The ONE TIME you WILL feel the difference is if one wheel is slipping a lot (which makes the diff 'lock' and feed power to both wheels equally)
Once the differential locks you have good power to both wheels..
Mainly on hard takeoff from a stop..or in slippery conditions.
I LOVED the Torsen diff on my SVT Contour. One wheel would spin when trying to take off hard from a stop.. then the lock up and POW the car would bolt forward like an explosive monster. (leaving rubber tracks from both wheels.. [clap]

Of any not included option, the option of a good locking differential (Quaif or Torsen) is the #1 thing missing from the factory ST.
The bummer of labor cost really hurts adding a limited slip diff to a new car.. Plus who wants to tear apart a brand new car?
This^^^^^^^ plus I do, as I've torn into my Amarillo when it was a month old.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to those that responded to the original question.
I was just surprised to feel so much difference between the 18" tires and the 16" snow tires, but I absolutely understand why it happens.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts