Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my last dd was a chevy colorado 3.7. It was a slouch below 2500-3000ish rpms then it came ALIVE. I would stomp it from a stop, it would barely squeak a tire then about 2 seconds and 3000ish rpms later it would brake the tires loose. I found through tuning that chevy was using torque management on almost everything with a drive by wire throttle that they were producing. I'm assuming to A. save the transmission some wear and tear. B. so [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]'s would not slide off the road or into oncoming traffic. Anyway.. I have a feeling that ford is using torque management on these cars. My car feels just like every vehicle I have driven with TM on it. Same feel when the computer lets it loose in 1rst and 2nd gear. So what do you guys and gals think? I bet when tuning becomes avaliable soon, that we will be much more impressed with our cars in the low rpm range. I know it was night and day on the colorado's and silverados when you got rid of TM or reduced it. Please feel free to discuss or call me a stupid/a retard.[thumb]

·
Registered
782 Posts
I know what you mean.

If I stomp from a standstill there is nothing. Almost a bit of a delay before the fun starts.

But if I stomp from even a slow rolling start I can break traction and get some decent spin.

I'm hoping we get some sort of VAGCOM like device to use because theres a lot of stuff I'd like to mess around with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree - these cars are much quicker from a rolling start than from a standstill. Does that usually equate to TM? If so, I'm looking forward to tuning now more than ever.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Even rolling on the throttle seems to work better than flooring it.

If you put the car in N while driving. Can anyone rev past 4k? Curious how the engine sounded one time and so I put it in N and rev'd and it wouldn't go past 4k. Wow!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Even rolling on the throttle seems to work better than flooring it.

If you put the car in N while driving. Can anyone rev past 4k? Curious how the engine sounded one time and so I put it in N and rev'd and it wouldn't go past 4k. Wow!
Limiters prevent that, you can chip it and remove that limit. But I'm not sure thereis such a product for the Mark 3 yet

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Turning off traction control is usually a good start. When this car can easily spin the tires through gears one and two I don't see the issue.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
582 Posts
Turning off traction control is usually a good start. When this car can easily spin the tires through gears one and two I don't see the issue.
Posted via FF Mobile
thats a good point. I do seem to notice it pulls way stronger and more consistent when turning off trac control but man what a pain they make it to do that everytime.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
thats a good point. I do seem to notice it pulls way stronger and more consistent when turning off trac control but man what a pain they make it to do that everytime.
I agree in a way. I always have my screen on trip a MPG so i know the button sequence is left, down, down, down, OK, OK, OK. But it should have a dedicated button elsewhere.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posted via FF Mobile
Traction control has nothing to do with TM... Yes your right that it will let you spin the tires, but the computer could still retard timing/ hold off full throttle/ cut fuel etc under a set rpm in whatever gears it wants. Thats torquemanagement. We could just have a really weak bottom end, but with the torque im seeing these cars put out on dyno charts posted on here.. I have a strong feeling we are being computer neutered.[nutkick]

·
Registered
978 Posts
All the car companies are doing this. TM is actually listed as a 'feature' on the Mazdaspeed 3 to keep you from shredding the tires. As for the rest...they're trying to eliminate warranty claims for failed transmissions, and removing the drivetrain shock of flooring the throttle from a standstill will go a long way in doing that. I see a HUGE difference in response between my 2005 Sport Trac (cable-actuated throttle) and most any of the cars I've owned lately. Bury the go-pedal in the Sport Trac, and you get an immediate tire screech. Floor any of my later-model cars, and you wait a couple of seconds before anything happens (well, except the Camaro - they didn't pull pull back any power on that one). With the demise of the throttle cable came the demise of true engine response, in most cases.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Traction control has nothing to do with TM... Yes your right that it will let you spin the tires, but the computer could still retard timing/ hold off full throttle/ cut fuel etc under a set rpm in whatever gears it wants. Thats torquemanagement. We could just have a really weak bottom end, but with the torque im seeing these cars put out on dyno charts posted on here.. I have a strong feeling we are being computer neutered.[nutkick]
Must be placebo then because I swear when I turn off Trac it feels like the car is back to being peppy and pulls good.

My biggest issue though is the 12b37 PCM update. It killed all my torque. Does it make sense that the tranny should shift to 5th or 6th when I'm driving under 30 and my RPM's are no higher than 1100rpms? No way i would be in that low a gear if I were driving a manual.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The high-gear at street speeds is the new trend in cars with automatics. They're doing anything they can to increase MPGs and if that means it's in top gear while driving down residential streets, that's what they'll do. My Optima seemed almost impatient to shift up and get to 6th, and it looks like the Focus is programmed similarly.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The high-gear at street speeds is the new trend in cars with automatics. They're doing anything they can to increase MPGs and if that means it's in top gear while driving down residential streets, that's what they'll do. My Optima seemed almost impatient to shift up and get to 6th, and it looks like the Focus is programmed similarly.
yeah and I'm all for increased MPG but here's my biggest complaint.

The engine just LUGS horribly when its in too high a gear and OMG when I slow down to make a turn the tranny is NEVER in the correct gear for you to resume back up to speed. Its like driving a stick and as you slow down from say 45 to 5mph to make the turn you'd be in 2nd gear and resume acceleration back up to the speed limit. NOT the DCT. Its still in 5th or 6th so you have this huge delay or a really bad Lugging before it realizes it needs to drop a gear or two.

Also when accelerating away from a light from a stop it seems to shift gears just before it hits peak torque. 1st, 2nd and Im in 3rd or 4th before I even hit 30mph. All this now due to the 12b37 update. THanks FORD!

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I know what you mean, when I'm in first I punch it and it starts moving and then it almost feels like it shifts again (which I presume is just the clutch fully engaging) and then WEEEE! But right off the line, this car is pretty slow. Luckily I drive like a grandma most days.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm having a weird problem with wheel hop with traction off. I'm assuming this is what's causing it. If I'm going around a corner going 20ish and punch it in 1st gear it seems like its hopping around like the Easter bunny. Not to mention the fact that even with traction off it doesn't want to turn the tires over.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm having a weird problem with wheel hop with traction off. I'm assuming this is what's causing it. If I'm going around a corner going 20ish and punch it in 1st gear it seems like its hopping around like the Easter bunny. Not to mention the fact that even with traction off it doesn't want to turn the tires over.
That could be the torque vectoring system that prevents such shenanigans as you leave a corner?

·
Focus Addict
14,131 Posts
What torque management. With slightly more than half a tank of 93 octane e10 gasoline and the a/c off when I went to pull out after getting stuck in a line of traffic that was stationary I chose to move to the other lane when it was clear. But to ensure that I wouldn't get boxed in I matted the gas a little bit harder than usual and got a squeek from the tires before it ripped through first gear in select shift automatic mode (S auto). That was with the traction control on. Not sure if I had started rolling a touch first of not, but I don't think so. I tried that also, rolling into the throttle around a corner and it also broke loose a little bit, maybe too much. I didn't so much smell burning rubber or clutch though so it should be ok. I also don't do full bore smoking starts all the time, but sometimes I have to try out the performance. [thumb]

It put a big smile on my face. I love my FoFo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts