Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - so I was super excited about finding the Torque App for android.

I got the bluetooth doo-hickey that plugs into the OBD ii port and now I've got the Torque Pro app - first ever app purchase lol - I'm a cheapskate but when I saw that I have a chance to see even more information - I pounced.

I'm on day one and clearly a little more than confused by all the info.

Any and all help would be appreciate.

I'll be happy to upload some csv logs if anyone wants to take a look at it and tell me what I'm looking at :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
How about some screen shots of the app?

·
Registered
414 Posts
What information are you having trouble with? I use a scangaugeII in my car and it is a bit difficult to figure out what is useable data and what are numbers to just ignore. Are you looking to monitor performance, fuel economy or just monitor data?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all Spaceman Spiff really brings back the memories!

I got Torque because I'm a gear head...and I love numbers. My car has just a little over 80k miles and I wanted to catch problems before they get out of hand. Since it is a 10 year old car and all.

I'm looking to monitor everything :)

However for the short term, a focus on performance and fuel economy would be interesting. I usually crunch numbers the old school way for fuel economy though it should be interesting to see if Torque is on point.

I ran the HP/torque test and came up with peaks of 115.94/136.80 under hard acceleration...

·
Registered
414 Posts
I like data too. I focus on MPG exclusively but if you are just looking for numbers, just let it scroll through the parameters and glance at it periodically and take mental notes. My scangauge always shows instant MPG and MPH (dash gauge reads about 2mph low); the other 2 spots I use to show whatever I might be interested in on any given day. Today was volts and GPH as I wanted to see what difference there is between idle with lights on and off, just because I was wondering what cost the lights induce.

Data is fun but can create over-sensitivity of the user. For instance, worrying about volt gauge fluctuations or engine temps that are completely normal just not really every noticed...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True... And that's why I think I'll settle on things like intake temp, maf pressure and vacuum etc...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cylinder 4 Misfire

I like data too. I focus on MPG exclusively but if you are just looking for numbers, just let it scroll through the parameters and glance at it periodically and take mental notes. My scangauge always shows instant MPG and MPH (dash gauge reads about 2mph low); the other 2 spots I use to show whatever I might be interested in on any given day. Today was volts and GPH as I wanted to see what difference there is between idle with lights on and off, just because I was wondering what cost the lights induce.

Data is fun but can create over-sensitivity of the user. For instance, worrying about volt gauge fluctuations or engine temps that are completely normal just not really every noticed...
So after running the diagnostic today - cylinder 4 has had 1 misfire over the last 10 cycles, does this mean it's time to change the plug? I've been running autolite 103's since 50k miles, I assume even 1 misfire is an indicator of more misfires to come. Now that I'm currently at 81k miles, 31k miles on the plugs (originally gapped at 0.50), time for a change anyway?

I've been having fun with the MPG instant and avg as well as that tree :)
A light foot on the throttle goes a long way!

·
Registered
414 Posts
A light foot on the throttle goes a long way!
[clap]

Copper plugs aren't usually expected to go 30K miles so, yea, I'd change them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here's how I set up my torque app. When my battery light came on, I was able to use torque to identify that my alternator was not working. Because of this I was able to use the remaining juice in my battery to get to a garage and leave it there. When alternators die, the car can only go at most 100 km on battery juice then it cuts out completely and that dangerous or fatal in the highway!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's how I set up my torque app. When my battery light came on, I was able to use torque to identify that my alternator was not working. Because of this I was able to use the remaining juice in my battery to get to a garage and leave it there. When alternators die, the car can only go at most 100 km on battery juice then it cuts out completely and that dangerous or fatal in the highway!
Torque is already saving me money and apparently it helped save your life!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What information are you having trouble with? I use a scangaugeII in my car and it is a bit difficult to figure out what is useable data and what are numbers to just ignore. Are you looking to monitor performance, fuel economy or just monitor data?

Any idea what these things are?

·
FF Affiliate
31,091 Posts
You guys would be far better off spending that money on a SCT xcal4 , getting datalogging capabilities and a full custom tune , having the info something isnt right is great if its a part thatc bad and changeable but not so good if it isnt a part you can change but needs adjusting

Tom

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys would be far better off spending that money on a SCT xcal4 , getting datalogging capabilities and a full custom tune , having the info something isnt right is great if its a part thatc bad and changeable but not so good if it isnt a part you can change but needs adjusting

Tom
Hi 1turbofocus :)

I can't believe this is the first time I've ever gotten a response from you (do I sound like a fanboy much?)!

As an aside, I paid the grand total of $22 for the OBD2 Bluetooth device and $5 for the app on my phone.

$27 total cost for what is essentially cross vehicle compatible and a diagnostic tool is great.

- so from your response I'm guessing that these two items are not replaceable and are, instead, adjustable?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts