Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I recently had an annual service with a main dealer who said that the rear suspension arms were torn. I have no idea what this means - can anyone shed any light on this? They told me it would be an expensive repair - approx £800, which I really don't want to have to pay, so I need to know what it is and I can tell an independent mechanic!

Cheers,

Andy

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
What arm and what part of the arm. Pics? Some earlier zx3' s are known for rear sway bar end links cracking the mounting holes.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
b16sir1991 said:
What arm and what part of the arm. Pics? Some earlier zx3' s are known for rear sway bar end links cracking the mounting holes.
Yup. Ask if it was the rear lower control arm. If it was, are you running a large swaybar with stock springs? Did you torque the endlinks down too tight? Are the endlinks seized up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swaybar, stock springs, endlinks, oh dear I'm going to have to get a dictionary! Sorry guys, not car minded and don't know what you mean. I haven't made any modifications if that helps.

I'll try to mention rear sway bar end links to the next mechanic. So if it is this problem does it sound like a £800 repair?

Thanks for the help so far :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Well, if you haven't made any modifcations then it shouldn't be from the endlinks.

800 quid sounds like a lot if it is the rear LCA's. I can get those here for $62 and change a piece and labor shouldn't be too long for each side. I think it's two bolts that hold it on and then the sway endlinks.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Yes, the stock rear sway bars did the same thing to some of the early arms as well.

·
Registered
613 Posts
do you have a link to that item,
I've gone all through summit racing and I can't find it

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to change my left rear control arm while installing my SVT kit. The shop I used only cherged me $275 and it took them 2 hours to get it out. The pivot bolts was sized in place, half in half out!! The part itself only cost me $120 CDN
So don't let them rip you off, for $1600 CDN you should be able to get quite the suspension on all 4 corners!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts