Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Topping off the factory fill coolant

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  fernleywrestlerx 
#1 ·
Are you guys using the Motorcraft gold coolant or Zerex G05?

#2 ·
Water.....................................keeps the car cooler, and it has only gotten below freezing a few times in the last 10 years I have lived in the desert.

#3 ·
Distilled water, and Water Wetter from Royal Purple.

#4 ·
Yeah...both of them are in southern climates. Personally I haven't had to top it off yet, but I'm probably sticking with Motorcraft.

#5 ·
lol, yep we be hot climate drivers.

If I were to use anything other then water it would be Motorcraft coolant.

#6 ·
Ive read some discussion about the distilled water in the mix evaporating off during the summer months... and only some distilled needing to be added to keep the mix at the proper ratio... assuming there are no leaks... any thoughts?

#8 ·
I found an economical alternative locally... Peak Global Lifetime meets Ford WSS-M97B51-A1... for $6.99 a gallon for the 50/50 mix.

#10 ·
The concentrate was not on the shelf... I was just happy not to be reamed for $17 for the G05 or $20 for the Motorcraft.

All I'm doing is topping off the reservoir before winter... I'm a cheap bastard... the reason I change my own oil with the Motorcraft 5w-20 and filter for $21 from Walmart. And the reason I picked the Focus with a $3500 rebate over some of the other economy cars out there.

#11 ·
The Motorcraft gold coolant is designed to last 6 years or 105,000 miles until first flush, according to the owner's manual. Then, should be replaced every 3 yrs or 45,000 miles after first flush. Of course, use an equivalent brand to WSS-M97B51-A1, don't have to buy at dealer. But, I wouldn't use 'old green' fluid.

In hot climates, manual says not to let concentrate get more than 60% water, or corrosion damage may occur. Just passing info to the warm climate owners above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.