Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realised when doing a small top up to the oil in my 02 1.6V Focus this morning, about 200ml at the most, I'd put in the 15W/40 oil that was in the garage not the 5W30 that's in there – will this damage the engine at all?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah definitely no more than that when the horrifying realisation struck that the bottle wasn't the 5W 30 it should've been, and the sense of panic that followed!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No need to panic, it's not like throwing the wrong kind of fluid in the wrong spot.

(We've seen it all, brake fluid in the P/S was one recent one - and NOT by the owner)

I'll move this to General Tech Chat for reference, you got a good answer right away.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Yep, you'll be fine until the next oil change. Even if you'd filled the whole thing up with 15w/40, you wouldn't self-destruct it. I had an old van that ran better on 20w/50 than the 5w/30 that was recommended for it. I did swap out for a thinner oil in the winter though.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've used 15/40 since ive owned my car and ive put 60k+ on it so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses all – interesting you've had no issues with the 15/40 Humphrey, was that all year round usage?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have cause I just have and I live in Arkansas where where most of the time its 80+.
Right now its only dropping to around 25 at night.
I guess I could put in some thinner on the first as I need to replace my oil pan. Just wasn't looking forward to changing my oil just yet but I need to do the pan so yeahh.

·
Registered
17,442 Posts
I routinely started cars in Texas in the low 'teens using straight 30 weight for years. The cranking was slow but the engine ALWAYS started. I keep my batteries in good shape at all times though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts