Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a stupid question...can I remove this nut while the strut is installed in the car? I can't get it to tighten down the whole way and I'm pretty sure it's because the top of the nut is damaged. I have a replacement nut but really don't want to have to take the strut out of the car and bother with a spring compressor. Will the weight of the car hold everything in place while I change the nut?

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
are you replacing the struts? I installed a brand new FRPP kit on my car. The nuts that came in the kit are to tall. They will not go down all the way.

i think you should be able to take that nut off while its still in the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the struts a few weeks ago (SVT kit), but noticed that this one keeps coming loose. When I tightened it down, it would get to a certain point and then not move.

The three mounting nuts are still down tight, so the weight of the car and those should keep everything in place, but I wanted to make sure before taking the nut off and having the spring fly out at my feet.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Yes you can replace the nut while the car is sitting on the ground. Just make sure the car is on the ground, 1500lbs is plenty of weight to keep everything together. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I use an impact wrench on those nuts to tighten and loosen........

1 second bursts so you don't just spin the rod. (takes awhile.....)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts