Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am new on this focusfanatics forum and I have a couple of questoins. I've had my ZX3 since may 2007 and the only thing i did to it was a CAI which sounds pretty nice. I just ordered a SCT SF3 Flash Tunner for about $400 and i was wondering how much crank hp i would gain if the FWHP gain would be 6. I'm assuming the HP gain from the CAI is around 2-3hp. Does anyone know how much fwhp does a bone stock ZX3 has? Will I have around 145 chp after the tune? thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You're looking at around 8 crank HP max if WHP is increased by 6.

The stock Zetec is rated at 130 CHP.

When you're modding at this level, don't worry about numbers, just go by the butt dyno. If you like it and it's faster, you dun good! Keep an eye out in the classifieds here where you can find some great deals on other bolt-ons.

Some might suggest a cat-back next, but I like to "Do shit proper" and finish one aspect of a car before moving onto the next. My vote would be for you to pick up a 65MM TB and a ported 2K Intake Manifold next, then move on to the suspension. At that age I'm sure it's more than a little tired!

Coincidentally I have the intake stuff mentioned above for sale, PM me if you're interested. (If anyone thinks my advice is biased because I'm selling these parts, let it be known that I'm stripping my Focus and have way more parts to get rid of than just those.)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The whp and the crank horsepower are linearly related i think, meaning the drivetrain absorbs the same amount of horsepower at 100whp and 400whp. I think this number is around 20-30 hp. So for 100whp you have 130chp, and for 400whp you have 430 chp I think.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The whp and the crank horsepower are linearly related i think, meaning the drivetrain absorbs the same amount of horsepower at 100whp and 400whp. I think this number is around 20-30 hp. So for 100whp you have 130chp, and for 400whp you have 430 chp I think.
I thought this was very wrong, so I did a bit of research and I must say that... wow.

Here's a whitepaper to strengthen your case, I've read through it and my eyes have been opened!

http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/Dyno.pdf

Edit: Keep all of this in mind next time people start talking about lightweight flywheels, too.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
My neighbor works for LUK and he said it depends on the car whether or not it is auto or man but the loss in drive train can be anywhere from 10-30% and probably some other variables too.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I thought this was very wrong, so I did a bit of research and I must say that... wow.

Here's a whitepaper to strengthen your case, I've read through it and my eyes have been opened!

http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/Dyno.pdf

Edit: Keep all of this in mind next time people start talking about lightweight flywheels, too.
Yeah I read your post and started thinking about it, I assumed the same thing you said, I assumed it was a percentage, but then I questioned myself a little as to why it is a percentage...and came up with that, and decided I was going to see if anyone was going to tell me I was wrong...lol thats how I learn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah I read your post and started thinking about it, I assumed the same thing you said, I assumed it was a percentage, but then I questioned myself a little as to why it is a percentage...and came up with that, and decided I was going to see if anyone was going to tell me I was wrong...lol thats how I learn.
Oh okay so YOU guess and I check, huh?

Good strategy![thumb]

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
Theres many things wrong with what everyone here is saying.
I notice the first post he says six from the tunes and 3 from the cai. I'll venture to guess he's believingif he adds up all these numbers that that can be added to the stock zetec hp of 130.
This would be an incorrect assumption. Just because a part says it will add a certain hp and another part says another additional number does not mean they can be added together. Many parts work in conjunction to make hp.
for instance a cai and exhaust, just because it car can inhale easier doesn't mean it can get rid of it through an exhaust that is barely adequate to expell stock stuff. now if both were added it could breath and exhale easier. On a otherwise stock car, a cai isn't going to add much, maybe 1-2hp, in combo with exhaust, maybe 5hp on the high end.
Now throw a tune into the mix which changes the timing and fuel mixture and both the cai and exhaust are back to zero and helping the tune work better so you can possibly get 6hp by letting the engine breathe easier so the changed fuel perameters can work better.
I hope that made sense.
Don't believe the hp hyped on the boxes, usually those are the high number they've run on the dyno.
One other thing that will affect hp numbers is how used the engine and tranny are. High milage engines don't garner the hp numbers claimed due to wear. Most of those numbers come from fresh or fairly fresh motors.
one other thing, the 130 advertised for the zetec most likely won't be correct since tolerances can vary from engine to engine. hp may be slightly higher (not very likely) but it's usually lower. the automotive industry has been known for years to over rate some engines and under rate others for insurance purposes (chrysler 440 six pack is a good example of under rating)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds Good

Alright guys thanks a lot...sounds pretty good. Also I can wait to see what my car can do in a straight line after I would cancel the speed limiter or at least raise it...In europe (where Im from) a stock 2.0Zetec would do around 130-135 with no problem. I wonder if mine would do the same...
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah Goinloco has a good point those mods dont add like that, you probably wont gain much from a CAI, until you open up the exhaust, mods need other mods to work as well as they claim on the box

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks goinloco...im tryin to learn as much as i can about my focus...thats all...I love it! for the money I paid for it i think its a great car and really fun to drive!

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
lol, I'm on my third one right now. still own my 02 svt and now an 07 se(sedan) with the street appearance package.
wish I would have never gotten rid of my 00 sedan tho...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts