Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im have to get some work done to the top half of the motor and i was wondering what would ad me in the turbo area of the top part. i have heard that the stock cam is the best , true? and what about valve springs. lil help please.[burnout]

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
stock cams and valve springs are fine for boost. the best thing you can do to the top half is a P&P head.. such as ford racing and arp head studs

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
tell you the truth for a turbo setup its really the bottom end you should be looking at, but heavy duty springs/retainers are always a bonus.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the reason why im asking about the top half is that i have to get some work done and the dealer has agreed to install any after market parts on the top half under warrenty. great deal i think, so i want to get the fs turbo kit in 2 years and im just wondering what could i do now that would inprove performance with the turbo?

·
Registered
132 Posts
stock cams and valve springs are fine for boost. the best thing you can do to the top half is a P&P head.. such as ford racing and arp head studs
well if crower makes stage II cams for ford focus , then wouldn't they be better then stock cams?[:)]

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
not with a turbo focus they wouldnt. you can get turbo cams for it if you plan on going turbo but that is up to you weather the small gain they offer is actually worth the price.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im wanting to put down 300 hp at the dino with turbo and n2o. i would not be running n2o all the time only at the dino to get the papers saying what i can run.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i would say go with the turtle....

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah, unfortunately, as mentioned, there isnt too much to the top that u need to do for the turbo....it can run fine stock. its the block u need to look at. unless u can get them to P&P the head....that would be sweet then.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
for 300whp you wont need the nitrous just get you a high boost tune and a low boost. there arent many turbos that wont put down 300.

but you will need a bood bottom end for that.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not with a turbo focus they wouldnt. you can get turbo cams for it if you plan on going turbo but that is up to you weather the small gain they offer is actually worth the price.
where would i buy a turbo cam and do i need to get the valve springs for it as well? i am compleatly new at f/i , and i didnt plan on doing any internal work for at least another year , but ford said they would do the work under warrenty so im just going to start now i guess . so if i sound like i dont know sh-t about f/i sorry for my stupidity . thanks for helping me out guys.[drinking]

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
mcnews sells them. you dont need valve springs for them. but i do have some brand new esslinger valve springs that i could sell you for cheap if you want some good aftermarket ones and dont want to pay for the crowers. i have had them in my closet for about 2 years.

http://www.mcnewsautomotive.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MA1051

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
where would i buy a turbo cam and do i need to get the valve springs for it as well? i am compleatly new at f/i , and i didnt plan on doing any internal work for at least another year , but ford said they would do the work under warrenty so im just going to start now i guess . so if i sound like i dont know sh-t about f/i sorry for my stupidity . thanks for helping me out guys.[drinking]
so ford will do the bottom end work as well?

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i didnt talk about the bottom end . i just know that i have this problm on the top and they have to do work on it, so the guy said that he could just put the aftermarket parts on just as easy as putting it all back together.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
i didnt talk about the bottom end . i just know that i have this problm on the top and they have to do work on it, so the guy said that he could just put the aftermarket parts on just as easy as putting it all back together.
thats what i was thinking. so, if ur gonna go turbo, theres not much u can do for aftermarket on the top. i know it sucks, as it sounds like such a sweet opportunity, but if going turbo, theres not a lot to do.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
If your going to spend ANY money on motor work you NEED to do the bottom end if you want to see 300whp on your Duratec... your rods are the weak link, they will give out and potentially cause major damage.

The top half will be fine, its the bottm end thats going to give you issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts