Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10) You'll get a charge out of it.
9) Great if your round trip is less than 80 miles.
8) Can substitute for a golf cart.
7) Your old mechanic will love you forever.
6) Ben Franklins autograph on glove box door.
5) Screw Exxon.
4) So quiet, you can hear your wife and kids better.
3) It comes with batteries.
2) The president of Ford's butt is on the line.
1) David Letterman will have you on his show to help sales.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would LOVE to get the electric. And would, it does not have enough range though. My commute is 75-80 miles and sometimes stop and go. Nowhere to plug in at work. I'm boned on the electric which is really what I originally wanted.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The president of Ford said they still have not set the price yet.

I bet it ain't cheap.

·
Registered
215 Posts
No gas backup acc'd to fomoco. Pure electric like the leaf
On Letterman last night Mulally said that they will have an all-electric, a hybrid, & a plug-in hybrid so that people can buy whatever works best for them. He didn't say when those would be released, or if they would all be in the Focus family.

I expect the price to be around $37k. Nissan recently raised the price on the Leaf, and Ford is pushing the Focus as being superior to it. It won't get considered at the Volt's price point. I am considering the eFocus, but at that price, it's not worth it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
On Letterman last night Mulally said that they will have an all-electric, a hybrid, & a plug-in hybrid so that people can buy whatever works best for them. He didn't say when those would be released, or if they would all be in the Focus family.

I expect the price to be around $37k. Nissan recently raised the price on the Leaf, and Ford is pushing the Focus as being superior to it. It won't get considered at the Volt's price point. I am considering the eFocus, but at that price, it's not worth it.
There is a concept car that is built on the Focus platform that is in the works for the hybrid. A little digging on google will yield the name of that one, slated for release sometime in 2012.

I am anticipating a price of $34K for the Focus Electric but it could push into $35K territory. Ford will get the maximum price out of it possible until the $7500 Fed rebate dries up.

It was the electric Focus which originally got me looking at Focus at all. I had been considering a Nissan Leaf for my commute and then saw that Ford was going to be releasing an electric Focus in late 2011.

However, at this point I think it will be a VERY soft launch. I am in one of the launch cities but dealers know nothing and you can't yet pre-order the car. The Focus electric is a two step build. The car is basically "built" at the regular Focus plant without the power train, and then it is sent to another factory where a sub-contractor will finish building it with the electric drive system. This has a lot of drawbacks to a dedicated line just for the assembly of the car and I expect production to be in the hundreds for the first few months and maybe as few as 5,000 cars shipped in all of 2012.... which means waiting, up to a year from the time you order, to get your vehicle.

The plusses obviously are that it will never use a drop of gas in its life, overall maintenance costs for electrics should be exceedingly low (Hyundai recently did a 300K duty cycle test on their Li-Ion batts for the Sonata hybrid and they only lost 5% efficiency after that many simulated miles) and electricity is still very cheap (cheaper for me, I've got a 7.0 kWh solar rig on my house).

If I could find an outlet to reliably juice it up every day at the office while I am working, I would not hesitate to get it. Sadly it is on the ragged edge of the range I need so it is not going to work out.

Will probably buy a gas focus with the hope of trading it towards an electric when they can increase the range another 20%, which will probably be in another few years.

One other thing worth pointing out is that to rapid charge the Focus Electric you will need a $1500 charger installed in your home, which might also require upgrade of your electrical box, cooperation from your local power company, etc.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lets do some quick math on actual cost per mile;

Electric costs at least $10K more than Gas car. Lets say electricity is free.

To go 12,000 per year with Gas car lets estimate average 32mpg at $3.75gal.
That's $1406.25 for gas.

Divide 10,000 by 1406 and you wait over 7 years until you break even.

Either gas prices have to go way up, or Electric car prices have to come way down. The math does not work for me, yet.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I could only buy an electric car if it came with a CD that played engine noises.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Lets do some quick math on actual cost per mile;

Electric costs at least $10K more than Gas car. Lets say electricity is free.

To go 12,000 per year with Gas car lets estimate average 32mpg at $3.75gal.
That's $1406.25 for gas.

Divide 10,000 by 1406 and you wait over 7 years until you break even.

Either gas prices have to go way up, or Electric car prices have to come way down. The math does not work for me, yet.
You are right. However, a 7 year break even is not really bad. Additionally with the $7500 electric vehicles rebate on your taxes (assuming you pay enough taxes to get the full amount back) makes the break even much quicker than that.

A lot of people who are looking at electric vehicles are banking on gas prices going up over the next five years.

Also, people are purchasing electrics for non economic reasons, such as showing support for the industry and technology, reducing their carbon footprint, reducing reliance on foreign oil, just to name a few.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I could only buy an electric car if it came with a CD that played engine noises.
Actually they are letting Facebook fans vote on the "engine" noise that the car will make at low speeds to alert pedestrians;

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news...ook-fans-for-2012-focus-electric-noises-video

What's funny is that in the facebook comments numerous people say "no noise preferred". They don't seem to understand that noise being made at speeds under about 20 mph are mandated by federal law, to prevent the likelihood of someone who is visually impaired being run down by the stealthy (and virtually silent) electric auto.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Actually they are letting Facebook fans vote on the "engine" noise that the car will make at low speeds to alert pedestrians;

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news...ook-fans-for-2012-focus-electric-noises-video

What's funny is that in the facebook comments numerous people say "no noise preferred". They don't seem to understand that noise being made at speeds under about 20 mph are mandated by federal law, to prevent the likelihood of someone who is visually impaired being run down by the stealthy (and virtually silent) electric auto.
Is it wrong that the idea of a 2014 Ford Keller-Killer makes me laugh?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, people are purchasing electrics for non economic reasons
Yes, but only wealthy Hollywood types.

I love this planet as much as the next guy, electrics will take over when they are cheaper to own and operate. Or when the Gov says "no more gas".

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, but only wealthy Hollywood types.

I love this planet as much as the next guy, electrics will take over when they are cheaper to own and operate. Or when the Gov says "no more gas".
I appreciate your opinion, but that's simply not the case. The Nissan Leaf has a $32,000 sticker price and you can go to their owner forums and find plenty of regular working class people who have purchased them, again, for a variety of reasons both economic and non economic.

My wife and I are not "rich hollywood types" (she's a dentist and I'm an engineer) and we still spent a sizable chunk of cash on our solar installation... we view it both as a hedge against inflating electric rates, as well as a way to be somewhat more responsible (we don't want them building more and more coal plants in our area to meet electric demands that keep going up).

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Electric Car"

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am anticipating a price of $34K for the Focus Electric but it could push into $35K territory. Ford will get the maximum price out of it possible until the $7500 Fed rebate dries up.
The Nissan Leaf has a $32,000 sticker price
Sticker on the Leaf is being upped to $36,050. I just don't see Ford trying to sell the Focus for less than that.

voip-ninja said:
However, at this point I think it will be a VERY soft launch. I am in one of the launch cities but dealers know nothing and you can't yet pre-order the car.
I agree about the soft launch. Dealerships around here haven't even heard of it. I've also seen reports that Ford isn't really interested in competing in the EV market (they just want to keep up with the technology so that if sentiment changes, they won't have to play catch-up), so sales numbers won't be high.

voip-ninja said:
The plusses obviously are that it will never use a drop of gas in its life, overall maintenance costs for electrics should be exceedingly low (Hyundai recently did a 300K duty cycle test on their Li-Ion batts for the Sonata hybrid and they only lost 5% efficiency after that many simulated miles) and electricity is still very cheap (cheaper for me, I've got a 7.0 kWh solar rig on my house).
One other thing worth pointing out is that to rapid charge the Focus Electric you will need a $1500 charger installed in your home, which might also require upgrade of your electrical box, cooperation from your local power company, etc.
Those Hyundai numbers don't sound right, unless they are testing something different. For example, fast-charging the Leaf will drop its batteries to 80% after ~5 yrs (that's considered 'failure'). Slow charging doesn't seem to have the same effect.

I've worked a few numbers, & 'fueling' the eFocus will be ~1/3 the price of gasoline. Also, I expect gas to continue to rise. When I bought my car 10 yr ago, everyone was shocked how gas spiked to $1.75/gal. It will be the same thing with $4/gal--in 10 yr we'll look back and reminisce.

My commute is only 13 mi round-trip, so I have no range anxiety issues. I don't even plan on bothering with the charging station--plugging it in overnight once a week will be plenty.

I don't agree with the law. There is a fundamental safety issue with vision-impaired people walking into the street, and noisy cars don't fix that. Also, they don't have an option for the car simply yelling "Get out of the way!" which is what I'd vote for.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts