Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2003 focus zete with 27000 miles on it....is it too early for fuel issues? eg. pump....filter....( previously turboed)

·
Registered
549 Posts
its definitly never too early...some lose pumps at 50miles.....and if it was turboed then its possible that pump was underpowered fot the turbo setup and was probably abused and pushed to its limit

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the thing is....i went from turbo to NA because i blew my motor....and evr since i got my car back it has had starting issues.....wont crank over sometime for like 5 minutes....but when i starts its fine.....need input thnx

·
Registered
549 Posts
hmm...did you put your tune back to stock. are you getting a check engine light?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took out the chip which i figure will put it back to stock and no i am not throwing a CEL

·
Registered
549 Posts
well are you sure it is fuel and not spark...or possibly both? i had a similar problem with my last car and it turned out to be the ecu...did this just start or was this rigt after you got your new engine?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it just started after i got my car back......they gave me the car back w/o the EGR connected cause i didnt have the exhaust fixed.....they told me to get the part and it will start fine.....so i did and it didnt start fine.....so they told me spark plugs so i changed them and now i am at where i am at........when they put the motor in it had the same problem but i wouldnt start at all......then later they found out that the crank case sensor had the wrong bracket so they fixed it and now i am lost......i can bring it back and get them to find the problem at no charge but i dont want to do that cause i hate sitting at shops

·
Registered
549 Posts
i dont know if this makes sence but it sounds like you are losing your fuel prime.."forgot what they call it" thats why you have to crank this shuyt out of it to start.i wish someone else would chime in here...check all your fuel lines, injectors etc and make sure you dont smell fuel or see any visible leaks....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we dont have like a primer ball like boats or whatever?...lol....what i dnt get is sometime it starts up right away.....i was thinking starter...but i dont know...thanx for all ur help anyway....i will look for a leak and check the injectors....thanx though

·
Registered
549 Posts
well you were never clear..does it turn over...or does it just click when you try to start, or nothing at all...i thought you meant it turns over and doesnt start...if it doesnt turn over then def. suspect starter or selenoid.....[thumb]

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it doesnt click......just cranks....like it is a carberator motor....but it wont start.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i talked to a friend who know quite a bit about cars....he says it isnt the starter.....so you hit that on the money.....also said for some reason i am losing fuel pressure when i turn the car off....so....you hit that one too......i just have to find the reason y i am losing pressure....

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Well when you turn on the car do you hear the Fuel Pump Running for about 3 - 5 seconds? It's a sound comming from the rear of the car. If it's continually running or not at all, you have a bad fuel pump. If the fuel pump is fine, i would replace the fuel filter, it's about a 10 minute job and cost about $10. But with intermediate problems with starting, i'd say it's the fuel pump....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if it is the fuel pump then how come the car runs fine when it is on....shouldnt it need the fuel pump to run the car?...i dont know.....all i kno is that is has problems starting but running is fine...no problems there.....

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
it could be the start of the fuel pump going out. Maybe someone will chime in that's had the fuel pump recall done and better describe their problem. Maybe being intermidate, it could be an electrical connecton. Do you Hear it kick on when you turn the key to the 'Run' Posisition?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"i just have to find the reason y i am losing pressure...."

Two possible reasons:

1) The fuel pump assembly has a one-way check valve to keep the system pressurized. This valve may not be closing.

2) Leaky fuel injector dribbles gasoline into the cylinder, losing pressure.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont really listen to any clicking.......but i will try to notice next time......as for the valve....change the whole fuel pump in order to fix?....and the injectors....can they be cleaned?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The fuel pump is commanded on for 2 seconds by the pcm every time the key is cycled to the run position. Leaking fuel injectors would cause a hart start/ rough run in first 30 seconds after start up, not a no start, same for the check valve. I have had many vehicles into my dealership that have the exact same symptoms, starts most time runs fine, you drive for while, stop for gas or to go to the grocery store and come out and the vehicle wont start, and if its just starting to go after it cools for like 10-15min it will start and run fine plenty of power etc. I have a taurus in the shop right now doing the same thing, but this one was easy give away cause pump was really loud, tested pumps resistance 0.3 ohms, you think those windings dont heat up with that little resistance? Also fuel filter should be changed every 15k. In the focus the fuel pump is driven by the pcm which varys the voltage to the pump through pulse width modulation according to what the fuel pressure reading is from the fuel rail pressure sensor, it will increase the pwm until the fuel press sensor reads a fuel press that is in spec for the car. If it has to keep increasing the pulse width cause the fuel filter is plugged and dropping fuel pressure. You will over work the pump and burn it up, and eventually on this type of setup electronic returnless fuel system you will also burn up the fuel pump driver inside the pcm. So a $10 fuel filter doesnt sound so bad to prevent this. From my past evperience you have a fuel pump going bad, everyone I have rplcd have fixed this exact problem. Also make sure you goto a filling station that is newer so there isnt so much rust in the tanks and never fill up when the tanker is there filling the underground tanks which stirs up the rust sediment in the underground tanks. Rust sediment will eat the pump up in 10k miles have seen it before. Remember that sock on the fuel pump is only for the larger particles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks a lot for the info...pretty much sums everything up..........i will get it replaced and repost to let u kno what it going on...thanx again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts