Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone from driving a huge lifted 02 F350 crew cab long bed diesel to this wee little focus and i seriously have a problem keeping the speed down with this car. I always heard people talk about certain cars just wanting to "go" and kinda laughed at them inside thinking "yeah right" but now i totally understand. Do you guys have a similar problem? I think for me its because this car is so damn smooth and easy to drive, for instance today i was cruising on a straight back road and the speed limit is 45, i looked down after cruising for a bit and i was doing 60 totally oblivious to the speed. Im kind of having second thoughts about supercharging it now, i would probably get in waay too much trouble.

I need better self control.. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Well, part of it is your senses fooling you. When I first went from a noisy college beater to a quiet new car I was keeping track of my speed by "ear". It didn't work [burnout]
I'd guess the same thing coming from a diesel truck...

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
same thing i went from a 95 taurus to a 04 focus, i felt like i was flying i even had my mom drive at 45mph so i could see if the spedo was off it just felt like that so much and after a year i think im starting to get control of my speed just by feel

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
Yeah! I was just driving to a friends house the other day I looked down and I was doing 80 the speed limit was 65. That would have been a nice ticket

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I was driving the other day, speed limit was 50, I looked down and saw I was doing 72 or so...

"Crap!", I thought, as I sped up to warp 2 [:D]

·
Registered
621 Posts
for me, it's all sport compacts in good condition that do that to me. I had a beretta that rode so smooth that i'd do 90 in a 70 without hardly thinking about it, and it rode the same at 110 until you hit a sharp curve in the freeway.

the svt is easy enough to tell when youre speeding, because despite having 6 (fwd)gears, it revves noticably high past 80 or so =\

but yeah, these are definitely a 'zippy' car...

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
I have the same problem even after a year of ownership! I'll catch myself doing 80+ in a 65 zone all the time, especially if I have a tailwind.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Its fun to go through the gears, defintley shooting myself in the foot on gas. It is very "zippy", supports the idea of Focus' being for autox and not straight line events.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
For myself, I blame it on the deep gearing and superlight gas pedal (FC TB, I'm assuming. It was in when I got the car). The magnaflow is kinda loud, but only above 80, and it actually quiets down a little around 90... and again around... *mumble mumble*[paranoid]

But uh, yeah, I'm a member of that club. I think CD Silver must actually be invisible, or else turtle wax bounces radar, for the number of times I should've been pulled over and somehow slipped by.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
^^^lol^^^ a tailwind, i like that one.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Im always speeding, shit I almost got bust twice in one day, a few days ago. I was going 90 in a 45[?|] saw the lights in my rear view dropped in third and halled ass to work. Yea it was dumb but I didnt get a ticket. Then on the way home I was doing 65 in a 50 and a cop comming in the other directing, did a quick U turn, so I pulled in to the gas station and he passed.....That was enough for me. I really have to try not to speed in the little svt, its so easy to be halling ass and not even notice. Eh, lesson learned though I guess

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
apparently this happens a lot in european cars because the feel so much better at high speed. take for example the BMW M series, I was watching a show where they were test the M6 the old guy who won two 24 heurs de le mans races psuhed it up 195 mph on the auto-bahn.

It happenes to my mom a lot. because we also have an expedition with the very throaty 5.4
Logan

·
Registered
784 Posts
It does not help that the car is so smooth at high speeds, you don't realize how fast you are going until it is too late.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
b16sir1991 said:
^^^lol^^^ a tailwind, i like that one.
I swear, on a windy day where it's blowing in the direction I'm heading, it's extremely hard to keep from going way over the speed limit. And like someone said above me, the car feels so darn stable at high speeds you don't notice it at all. Especially compared to my last car...when I got up to 90 in my tbird I could feel the front end skate around, felt extremely uncomfortable...but with the SVT it feels like it actually gains stability at higher speeds!

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
give it some time you'll get used to it then it won't be "zippy" enough hah

like when i got my zx3 i was like "damn i can't drive this with out getting pulled over all the time" i would zip through traffic and stuff, and now i'm like "i wish it was faster"

hah give it about a year you'll feel the same.. then make it faster!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I wanted mine to be faster the 2nd week i had it. the bogging really annoys me, and more recently a/c driving is troublesome on windy days.
counting down the miles.... =p

-Paul

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I know what you mean but the Focus actually makes me feel like I am going faster than I am. The seat is so high it feels like your driving a minivan! lol

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
the high seat is so you can get a better view of them cones on the autox course! [driving]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts