Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little late to the party but I want to say Tom's Tune is definitely a must have on the Focus. I drive a 2013 Ford Focus S, so far I have done- Headers, Exhaust, Intake, and RMM.

The car was doing okay on its own. I thought it moved, as long as fair conditions were met, weather wise. After I had installed the header, I noticed that the car was backfiring a bit and I didn't really notice any power gains WOT. I turned to the many threads on this forum and Tom's Tune came up as a constant must have.

A few pay days and a tax return later, I had the X4 and a tune. Just by loading the first tune, there was a noticeable difference. The car was noticeably pulling better around 3-5000 rpm range. The backfiring was gone, save for a few downshifts while on the highway. Yay Texas! A lot of the problems were fixed.

I sent Tom Datalogs and learned how the O2 Sensor worked. Good to know for the future. Btw, Tom is a patient guy, I'm not the brightest guy in the world when it comes to cars. I'm a work in progress, but he's able to explain and make sense how different parts come into play. I will say though, 700 hp Focus... Goals.

Back to topic though, sent Tom datalogs and was sent the second tune. This one, I only had time to Test on my morning commute. Living 30 minutes from base is a fun drive but I left late. Couldn't really have fun like I wanted to. But on the way home, is where I noticed a Night and Day difference. I took the highway to get home quick, Friday evening is not the time to cruise home. Too many people, too much possibility. So on the highway, the pull from 30-80 was a lot stronger. And it felt like it could have kept going.

Personally I would strongly recommend the Tune. It is a night and day difference. Once I have time to properly test it, I'll update this. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to this Turbo Kit. Got my next few steps all planned out.

Go to Korea for a year.
Save money for DIY kit - Depends on the price.
Have friend take car to have kit installed (yes I'm gonna miss the fun but I'd rather come home to a thrill ride). - Hopefully nothing bad happens.

For the price, and the gains. Definitely looking forward to it. So for anyone else looking to build a DD for the track/street, again, I would go with Tom's Tune. Definitely worth it. Plus free tunes. Who can beat that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went a -
K&N Typhoon Air Intake Kit
Speed Daddy Header
FSWerks Exhaust Tube - the rest was custom made 2.5 in. all around.

And thank you for your service. Always nice to meet another veteran.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
good to hear man. I also have a header, intake and exhaust and have Tom's tune and I love it. the combo of the header and tune made a huge difference in power.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I'm probably going to go with the obx header route. How's the speed daddy header treating you?
I'm also going to get the fswerks stealth.

Which branch?
I was in the AF.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
yeah I have the fswerks stealth exhaust with my header. It's definitely still loud with out cats though lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Speed Daddy is definitely a game changer, Its 10x better than the stock one. Stronger pulls. Wish I could have gone with the FSwerks 4-1 header - Looks bigger. How does the 4-1 header feel?

But I would not call the car obnoxious. I will admit 0400, I do not want as loud as it is. But racecar, so I don't mind.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Loud is good :)
But does it drone or is it obnoxious?
matter of opinion I suppose lol. I love it!

The Speed Daddy is definitely a game changer, Its 10x better than the stock one. Stronger pulls. Wish I could have gone with the FSwerks 4-1 header - Looks bigger. How does the 4-1 header feel?

But I would not call the car obnoxious. I will admit 0400, I do not want as loud as it is. But racecar, so I don't mind.
I love the fswerks header. I have never tried the obx or speeddaddy so I cant really compare the two. The fswerks is a 4-1 where I believe the others are 4-2-1 so different kind of power increase. I believe the 4-1 gives you a stronger top end so you really have to be in the higher rpms to get the most out of it. I noticed a big power bump across the rpm range though when I installed it. I think the tune helped with that.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I wish more people had a before and after dyno chart so we could see the actual gains or maybe if the differences would be noticeable at a dragstrip.

·
Registered
990 Posts
matter of opinion I suppose lol. I love it!

I love the fswerks header. I have never tried the obx or speeddaddy so I cant really compare the two. The fswerks is a 4-1 where I believe the others are 4-2-1 so different kind of power increase. I believe the 4-1 gives you a stronger top end so you really have to be in the higher rpms to get the most out of it. I noticed a big power bump across the rpm range though when I installed it. I think the tune helped with that.
OBX is 4-1.
I haven't seen any 4-2-1 or long tubes for our cars yet.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
wouldn't the fswerks be considered a long tube header?

·
Registered
144 Posts
wouldn't the fswerks be considered a long tube header?
Yeah. The OE is short tube, pretty sure all our after market headifolds are long tube.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What kind of whp are you guys getting ..... I have seen dyno charts for setups such as : tune, exhaust , intake ....
tune , header exhaust ....
tune ,intake .......
header, exhaust, intake with no tune ..........

but I have yet to see someone post results of a tune, exhaust , header , intake

·
Registered
793 Posts
How much hp is to be gain with a Tom tune while only snorkel delete and green filter.
I'm guessing somewhere between 175-180 crank HP.

What kind of whp are you guys getting ..... I have seen dyno charts for setups such as : tune, exhaust , intake ....
tune , header exhaust ....
tune ,intake .......
header, exhaust, intake with no tune ..........

but I have yet to see someone post results of a tune, exhaust , header , intake
I'm guessing somewhere between 185-200 crank HP.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts