Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't talk enough about how this should be on the top of everyone's list of mods. If you want better power and better power delivery, get this tune. If you just pulled of the lot, get this tune. Not only does it tie your mods together, it simply makes the car operate like it is supposed to. Anyone with a DCT (even if you love it and it has no issues) should seriously consider this. The shifts are so smooth. Buttery smooth. It is actually nice to just put in in "D" now and go. I do like the select shift, but I am so glad that I can use the full functionality of the vehicle now.

I won't act like I know how much extra power it is putting down, but I will say it is very noticeable. The car feels the way it looks now. Even my wife is impressed. So is my buddy after I showed up his 03 GTI.

Something of note: My focus has an issue with not wanting to grab gears (mostly first to second and second to third) if I go wot up hill. I live in TN and it can be hard to avoid sometimes. I have had it has happened in such a way that the car goes into limp mode and the SES light comes on. It gives me a message of something along the lines of "Transmission Malfunction, Service Now" or something similar. Ford hasn't been able to diagnose the issue and the tune does help, but it hasn't solved it. I wasn't really expecting it too and I may be a ******* for flooring it up hill. I have noticed that turning off traction control helps. This perhaps should be a different thread, but the tune did help and I figured it was relevant.

Finishing up, I want to be clear that I have not tried any other tune for the vehicle and this isn't to say that they aren't great as well. Still, I think you may be hard pressed to find something better and I haven't even started my first log yet.

Thanks Tom for fixing my damn car...

·
Registered
505 Posts
That transmission error your getting means that they either need to reflash your tcm and/or New clutch pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That transmission error your getting means that they either need to reflash your tcm and/or New clutch pack.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I may run down to the dealership in the next few days and see if I have the most current update then. Thanks for info.

·
FF Affiliate
30,630 Posts
More then likely a TCM going bad , if you update the software there is a 50.00 charge for a complete new tune , it isnt a software issue tho

Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Copy that. I have a buddy down there who helps me out on occasion. I am surprised they didn't notice since they said they tested the trans when I went in to get it checked out. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean the TCM. They may have just checked mechanical function. I am fairly new to all of this, so thanks for letting me know.

Edit: I will say that it only happens on steep hills, so I may just chill out when trying to merge on to that specific one that I hit daily.

·
FF Affiliate
30,630 Posts
My TCM did this 6-8 times before it finally just stopped and wouldnt start with the push start , changed the TCM about 2 years ago and problem free sense

There isnt really a way to test the TCM if its working properly

Would like to see a log of it happening tho

Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ohh I can certainly recreate it if you would like [:p] In that case I will look into replacing it soon. If I get a new module will it I need to send you the $50? Just want to budget for it if so. Thanks!

Edit: I don't suppose you would know if my current mods were likely to effect the new warranty on the TCM? That will probably just be the the price that I pay.

·
FF Affiliate
30,630 Posts
Your mods have nothing to do with the TCM , I have 6 turbo kits on a DCT with no issues so far so your mods are fine , what Ford will say is hard to tell

Tom

·
Registered
108 Posts
Edit: I will say that it only happens on steep hills, so I may just chill out when trying to merge on to that specific one that I hit daily.
Couldn't agree more tom's tune is still my favorite mod for the drive ability more than the overall power gain.(which is nice) Come on you can't do that its half the fun of living in east tn, the other half of course is all the curves.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree about the Dragon and about Tom's Tune. It improved my car a ton. I still have some peculiarities on my DCT tune that when I had some business in Asheville, I drove do his shop to meet him and show him what my dct was doing. It still is not right, but that is my fault for not sending more datalogs. Tom, have you been able to check your Focu's and see if they shift like mine?

·
Registered
2016 535D
303 Posts
I love going to the Dragon there in the mountains on bike and Focus

Tom
I agree about the Dragon and about Tom's Tune. It improved my car a ton. I still have some peculiarities on my DCT tune that when I had some business in Asheville, I drove do his shop to meet him and show him what my dct was doing. It still is not right, but that is my fault for not sending more datalogs. Tom, have you been able to check your Focu's and see if they shift like mine?
So when is the FF Tail of the Dragon trip?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I second this^^^^

·
FF Affiliate
30,630 Posts
Its been a bit , I do remember doing some testing on mine after you left but we never talked again and im old and my memory never was any good LOL

Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should not have said anything [:p] but I guess I could come.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My co-workers and I are talking about a day-trip up HWY 181 here in Western NC. The speed limit is 55. They say it's more fun than the Dragon (less traffic, less tourist-y).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Toms Tune Titanium

There aren't a lot of serious options for tuning a normally aspirated Focus, had Tom tune mine last summer. Every time I get in it I'm glad I did it. I've done only a few changes, CAI, 180 Thermostat, Tune. Aside from that I removed the upper seat backs since they always stayed folded down. It seems that you can feel every pound, removed the spare also.
Now with the changes it breaks traction easily from a stop and I have noticeable torque steer if I hold it to the floor that wasnt there before. I have the car I want now, fun to drive and I still average over 30 Mpg.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I began working with Tom toward end of June, 2017, when my ‘14 Ti began shuddering during the shift from 1st to 2nd. I am totally satisfied with my investment. The DCT operates so smoothly at city street speed, as well as when creeping along at parking lot speed searching for a suitable space.

And I can second the comment about the “torque steer”. It’s definitely there. (Yes ST members, my little 160hp beast has the torque steer [wiggle]).

When we began working together, I was clear with Tom that i have minimal automotive mechanical knowledge, BUT that my knowledge of Windows and laptops is even less. I’m one of those annoying Mac nerds.

Tom made the tuning experience very easy for me, even with my limitations. I typically will do a datalog and email him on a Sunday, and I have his response by Tuesday. On several occasions when I’ve called him, I’ve most always connected with him the same day, if not the same hour. He’s always been patient when we’ve talked, never seemed rushed, never showed impatience.

Totally satisfied here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts