Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, just wanted to ask the focus community if anyone has gone through tom's tune on their foci and has anyone experienced increase in performance such as hp, torque, or mpg? Also, has gotten better shifting and overall drivability? i got the DCT auto trans 16' focus SE 2.0l NA. Reason asking is i am looking for a tune for my focus and i am considering tom's tune unless theres anybody else you guys know that can have a better outcome than tom's tune. i do have the sct x4 flasher already

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi, just wanted to ask the focus community if anyone has gone through tom's tune on their foci and has anyone experienced increase in performance such as hp, torque, or mpg? Also, has gotten better shifting and overall drivability? i got the DCT auto trans 16' focus SE 2.0l NA. Reason asking is i am looking for a tune for my focus and i am considering tom's tune unless theres anybody else you guys know that can have a better outcome than tom's tune. i do have the sct x4 flasher already
I have been driving on Tom's tune with my 12 SEL hatch with DCT for 2 and a half years and have experienced increases in all of those performance categories as well as overall better shifting and driveability!
I would highly reccomend the tune with having a DCT. He also provides free tune revisions with added naturally aspirated mods which has been quite great for me personally (since I have done many mods to mine) and would be great for anyone planning mods in the future

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been driving on Tom's tune with my 12 SEL hatch with DCT for 2 and a half years and have experienced increases in all of those performance categories as well as overall better shifting and driveability!
I would highly reccomend the tune with having a DCT. He also provides free tune revisions with added naturally aspirated mods which has been quite great for me personally (since I have done many mods to mine) and would be great for anyone planning mods in the future

Okay sounds good yeah he seems like he knows what he's doing and seems to have good customer service he was able to talk to me on the phone and keep contact with me though email which i appreciate i will most likely end up doing his tune unless i hear anything else from others.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Okay sounds good yeah he seems like he knows what he's doing and seems to have good customer service he was able to talk to me on the phone and keep contact with me though email which i appreciate i will most likely end up doing his tune unless i hear anything else from others.
I agree completely about his customer service and communication. He will have times where hes busy with other things or personal things and wont be as quick with replys, but it makes sense for what he does. You'll also hear a lot of shit from ST guys or random haters, but a good half or more of those people just enjoy being trolls and have never even dealt with Tom personally. Unfortunately how the internet works in today's world.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tom tuned mine and world of a difference. Worth the money I swear

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have dealt with 2 other tuners and Tom is the best IMO. I have spoken to him on several occasions and he is always knowledgeable. If you drive a focus I believe Tom is the only choice for tuning.

(He tuned my 2002 SVTF and it has better response and just runs smoother. It is basically stock so I didn't see any huge gains in power. But definitely more responsive and just smoother)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tom did a tune for my 2016 with DCT, It did 100% make the car more fun to drive.
Traction control was removed, shift points are different and it is more responsive.
As far as the DCT I cant say much changed in regard to shuddering.
Had ford replace the clutch last summer and its been perfect since then.
My 2014 Titanium had 3 clutches before I traded it for the 2016. Purchased the extended warranty for my 16, will probably have more clutches in it.
I love the car, would really like an ST or RS but my Titanium actually does something the others will not. Just made and 8 hour trip at 85-90 most of the way and still did better than 30 Mpgs.

·
FF Affiliate
30,347 Posts
Tom did a tune for my 2016 with DCT, It did 100% make the car more fun to drive.
Traction control was removed, shift points are different and it is more responsive.
As far as the DCT I cant say much changed in regard to shuddering.
Had ford replace the clutch last summer and its been perfect since then.
My 2014 Titanium had 3 clutches before I traded it for the 2016. Purchased the extended warranty for my 16, will probably have more clutches in it.
I love the car, would really like an ST or RS but my Titanium actually does something the others will not. Just made and 8 hour trip at 85-90 most of the way and still did better than 30 Mpgs.
Did you send me datalogs and tell me you still had shudder ?

Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tom I'm curious... can you make it so that when I shift into "S" the DCT automatically drops a gear for decel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't Tom, Ford has a defect and they need to replace the clutch.
Wasn't worth your time since its Ford's bad.
I'm 100% happy with the adjustments you made and would do it again in a second.
Every time I press the start button my thought is this is going to be fun.

I'll keep making them replace the clutch until its out of warranty which will be awhile..

·
FF Affiliate
30,347 Posts
I didn't Tom, Ford has a defect and they need to replace the clutch.
Wasn't worth your time since its Ford's bad.
I'm 100% happy with the adjustments you made and would do it again in a second.
Every time I press the start button my thought is this is going to be fun.

I'll keep making them replace the clutch until its out of warranty which will be awhile..
Actually I feel its a software issue because my Custom tune can greatly improve or cure the shudder but I need to know its having issues

If you havent sent me any datalogs please do there might be more fun I can get you lol

Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
In sport mode you have to do the shifting thats what sport mode is , Its ment to be a Manual shift

Tom
I was referring to sport automatic mode but never mind.

Drive (D)
In drive, the transmission will perform fully automatic shifts if you do not use the shift buttons. However, by pressing the upshift or downshift buttons you can take temporary manual control. Based on driver interactions, the system will determine when temporary manual control is no longer in use and return to fully automatic shifting.

Sport Automatic (S)
After you shift into Sport mode and before you attempt to make a manual shift, SelectShift will provide performance-oriented automatic shifts for you. For example, when lifting off the accelerator pedal, the transmission may hold the gear for better performance and engine braking. And when braking on hilly roads, the transmission may downshift at higher speeds in order to provide better engine braking.

Sport Manual (S)
To enter Sport manual mode, simply press your vehicle’s button or paddle to upshift or downshift. This mode gives the driver extensive manual control. You can change gears up and down yourself by using the shift controls in your vehicle. The shift controls may be located on buttons on the shift lever or on paddles behind the steering wheel. Though you may change gears yourself, SelectShift does not have a clutch pedal like a fully manual transmission.

·
FF Affiliate
30,347 Posts
I have my tunes set for manual or self shift but only at redline

You dont actually have SA or SM both with the Focus stock

I dont like how in sport mode the TCM shifts the trans early RPM so I set it to full Manual in the tune

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts