Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Im new here!
I'll be doing an early review of Tom's Tune from FocusPower.

First, the buying experience. It was all okay and since i live in Malaysia, the flasher took approximately 16 days to arrive at my door step. Then i installed the flasher and got my strategy and gave in to Tom. Right after that, Tom gave a base tune for the car.

The tune was fantastic and i'm not kidding. The difference are REAL! The car feels much smoother and the DCT is like a different transmission now. The gear changes of the DCT felt firm and faster. No shudder or jerking at all! It drives like a normal automatic now. I kinda miss the harsh feeling of that DCT hahah. The exhaust sounds a bit deeper with some crackling between 2000 to 3500 rpm when at idle and this is with the stock exhaust. Then, i did the first datalog after 100 miles or so which includes a 5 minute idle, 5 minute cruise and a WOT at 3rd gear from 2000 to 6000 rpm. Sent the datalog file to Tom and after a day i got my first custom tune. And what a miracle. U can feel the difference between the base tune and the custom tune as well. The DCT now downshift smoother. But as for the engine, the butt dyno feels the responsiveness of it. Mileage was improved as well based on the live fuel consumption during cruising. All and all, it is well worth it even though the price of the flasher itself can be considered to be quite high when converted to Malaysian Ringgit.

As for customer service, Tom is really nice. Starting from before buying the flasher until you get the custom tunes, he replied quite fast and answered most of my dumb questions. When you ask for suggestion, he will surely give you a good one! One thing that I myself consider to be a problem is the time difference. However, it will not be a problem if you email him at the right time.

I would recommend the tune for everyone! If you're not considering the tune for power, at least do it for the DCT. ITS IS REALLY GOOD! Do take not that i have a stock 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback with DCT and selectshift and even I can feel the difference.

I will update the post when I add some mods to the car in the future for review as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for posting this review, especially considering your location. I am in Thailand and I expect our vehicles are produced in the same Thailand factory. Good to know Tom can tune them. I have a 2012 2.0l with the DCT.

I am very interested in your points related to the transmission characteristics. Could you let me know if the DCT changes gear better under full throttle applications.

In my car the engine will reach the change rpm and shift to the next gear but the DCT software slips the clutch a lot between the gears. Maybe this is to make the changes feel smooth, but in my opinion it is incorrect. In fact I can smell the friction surfaces.

Anyway, are the WOT gear changes quicker now?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting this review, especially considering your location. I am in Thailand and I expect our vehicles are produced in the same Thailand factory. Good to know Tom can tune them. I have a 2012 2.0l with the DCT.

I am very interested in your points related to the transmission characteristics. Could you let me know if the DCT changes gear better under full throttle applications.

In my car the engine will reach the change rpm and shift to the next gear but the DCT software slips the clutch a lot between the gears. Maybe this is to make the changes feel smooth, but in my opinion it is incorrect. In fact I can smell the friction surfaces.

Anyway, are the WOT gear changes quicker now?

Thanks.
Hi!

Yeap, indeed the car is imported from Thailand!

After the tune, i would say that in D mode is where the DCT really shines. A full throttle while cruising at around 90-110 km/h, the car changes gear so fast and so smooth that you didn't notice you're now at 160-180km/h. It is indeed better than before.

From a stop, a full throttle would now launch the car without the normal shudder or jerking. I've had the tune for almost 500km now and i would say it removed 95% of the shudder and jerking. Thus, when there is some jerking, you will notice it and it's obvious.

As for the smell, this is something that surprised me a lot. After 500km with the tune, i would say that the smell never came. I've always expected to smell something burning right after i floor the gas pedal since this always happens before i installed the tune. But now, it is totally gone.

The gear change now is pretty quick and firm at WOT. It is not as fast as a PDK hahaha. But if you want to compare based on the tune itself, then there's a huge difference. I've compared this tune to the stock tune and my god i can't believe i've been living with the stock tune for 4 years. The stock tune is so bad that it made the gear shift at WOT felt mushy and slow.

I hope this helps!
Do note that no two cars are identical thus you might have different results..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi!

Yeap, indeed the car is imported from Thailand!

After the tune, i would say that in D mode is where the DCT really shines. A full throttle while cruising at around 90-110 km/h, the car changes gear so fast and so smooth that you didn't notice you're now at 160-180km/h. It is indeed better than before.

From a stop, a full throttle would now launch the car without the normal shudder or jerking. I've had the tune for almost 500km now and i would say it removed 95% of the shudder and jerking. Thus, when there is some jerking, you will notice it and it's obvious.

As for the smell, this is something that surprised me a lot. After 500km with the tune, i would say that the smell never came. I've always expected to smell something burning right after i floor the gas pedal since this always happens before i installed the tune. But now, it is totally gone.

The gear change now is pretty quick and firm at WOT. It is not as fast as a PDK hahaha. But if you want to compare based on the tune itself, then there's a huge difference. I've compared this tune to the stock tune and my god i can't believe i've been living with the stock tune for 4 years. The stock tune is so bad that it made the gear shift at WOT felt mushy and slow.

I hope this helps!

Do note that no two cars are identical thus you might have different results..
Now S mode will be rarely used hahaha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now S mode will be rarely used hahaha

Sent from my SM-G960F using FF Mobile

Hahah that is true! I’ve not use S mode at all now. Just floor the pedal and there she goes.

Now i only use the S mode for selectshift and do some dumb pops and crackles hahahah

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. It has confirmed my suspicions that the clutch slip during full throttle gear changes is all down to the software programming rather than a mechanical fault.

Glad you are enjoying the tune.

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
Hahah that is true! I’ve not use S mode at all now. Just floor the pedal and there she goes.

Now i only use the S mode for selectshift and do some dumb pops and crackles hahahah
Actually the S mode works better as well , It wont early shift like it use to at WOT and will go to 6300 rpm now before shifting , You should test it

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updates!

I've installed a custom header and also a valved muffler for the car.
The piping and 2 resonators were kept stock however.
I'll probably change the piping to a 2.5" later when i feel like i want to have something louder haha.
It's already quite loud now at WOT.

^ This is the valved muffler. 2.5" all the way.

^ This is the muffler on the car.

^ The new header compared to the stock.

^ First resonator.

^ Second resonator.

I told Tom that i installed the new header and a new muffler and he instantly sent me a new tune (2nd custom tune). I datalogged with the new tune and then i got the 3rd custom tune from Tom.
The car definitely has more low end power now! I've compared it to a friend's stock car and the difference are quite huge. The car launches in an instant now.
But that's only based on the butt dyno.
I didn't do a lot of driving at the higher end since its too loud if the muffler valve are open.
There are some pops now when i decelerate or suddenly brake. But it's hard to recreate the pops. U can rev the car to about 5000rpm and let of the throttle and there will be some pops. If u tap the gas while decelerating, then u can hear more pops.
I would love to hear more pops when i let off the gas if it's possible (1-3 seconds of pops and crackles would be nice hahah like the tune on the STs) but i guess it's hard to do it on a naturally aspirated car.

I'll be installing a new filter and do the snorkel delete probably in March.
180 t-stat would be sometime after that.

So in my opinion, a header would give a huge difference in performance and also sound.

P/S

Actually the S mode works better as well , It wont early shift like it use to at WOT and will go to 6300 rpm now before shifting , You should test it

Tom
I've tried that and it's fun but the car's too loud for that now LOL. There's definitely a better feeling in S mode since itll rev higher and stay in gear better. Shifts are also a bit faster and firmer than in D. Loving it a lot!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Tom
Hello Tom,

I have a focus 2013/2014 2.0 powershift sedan and I have been having problems with my transmission, nothing very serious, but the transmission fluctuates a little in the exchange of the 1st gear to the 2nd when floor deep in Sport mode.

My gearbox does not show trepidations as many people report, it's just a gear shift poorly managed by TCM, I think.

Inquiring about the subject I arrived at this forum that I found incredible. I saw that you have some upgrades to this car that improve performance and prevent some chronic car problems. Could you tell me more about the updates you have available and how they could help me?

I'm from Brazil.

Thank you for your attention!

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
I sell the SCT X4 Flasher , Full Custom Tune , Free lifetime unlimited Tune updates as you add more NA mods , Datalogging services , US shipped for 462.00

I also have 2 different Turbo Kits for the MK3 Focus

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sell the SCT X4 Flasher , Full Custom Tune , Free lifetime unlimited Tune updates as you add more NA mods , Datalogging services , US shipped for 462.00

I also have 2 different Turbo Kits for the MK3 Focus

Tom
Nice!

Tom, I do not understand much about modifications and preparations. Do you believe that I can do the update in my car here in Brazil?

This USD 462.00 value is the hardware and software to be updated in the car or just the file?

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
Nice!

Tom, I do not understand much about modifications and preparations. Do you believe that I can do the update in my car here in Brazil?

This USD 462.00 value is the hardware and software to be updated in the car or just the file?
The 462.00 is for the Custom Tune , free updates , and the SCT Flash Device

Yes you can do it your self and if you have any issues I can remote in to your laptop and help with any issues like I was there with you

tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 462.00 is for the Custom Tune , free updates , and the SCT Flash Device

Yes you can do it your self and if you have any issues I can remote in to your laptop and help with any issues like I was there with you

tom
Awesome Tom.

If I buy the SCT X4 Flasher device here in Brazil, is it possible to negotiate only the software update? Importing electronics outside Brazil is very time consuming to get and expensive (import taxes).

If it is possible, I will look for this device here in the national market and we can only negotiate the updates. What do you think?

If possible, let me know your email to let us know.

Again, thank you Tom.

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
Yes I sell just the Custom Tune is you have the Flasher already , make sure you get the the Flasher serial # BEFORE you buy it to make sure its a US Flasher

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I sell just the Custom Tune is you have the Flasher already , make sure you get the the Flasher serial # BEFORE you buy it to make sure its a US Flasher

Tom
Hi Tom,

I found a Sct 7215 X4 device used to buy here in Brazil. The number of would be the same is: x40422153824c.

Is this equipment compatible with the Ford Focus 2.0 Powershift?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts